Spell Graphics

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Tarrei
Peon
Peon

Spell Graphics

Post by Tarrei »

Hi there. I like mana World very much, but I wondered why It's called Mana World? There are no spells or so. so I wanted to help out with some spell graphics, eventually i could make some more frames, but here are my suggestions:
ImageIce spell
ImageFire Spell
Some others will follow
Nickman
Peon
Peon

Post by Nickman »

The Ice-spell looks cool, the fire spell need some more detail in it I think :).

would be nice to see spells in TMW ;)
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!
Webmaster of:
- http://www.bwf.be
- http://www.ecdf.be
Tarrei
Peon
Peon

Post by Tarrei »

Here is the next development stage:
Fire Frames: ImageImageImage

Ice Frames:ImageImageImage

Healing Frames: ImageImageImage

Monster-Summoning-Spell Frames:ImageImageImage
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

You do know that they are thinking about a particle system?
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Graphics is brilliant. Anyway it should be posted in Graphic development. And particle engine was merged in the main branch.

Regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Hello Tarrei.

Your help is really welcome.

But note that the reason we haven't got any magic yet in the game is not only because we haven't got the necessary graphics yet but because it is not possible to implement any magic (at least not in the way we want to implement it) on the currently used server platform. That's one of the reasons we are currently programming a new server and before we are finished you won't see your graphics ingame.

But that of course doesn't mean that we don't want them. It would be really good to have some spell graphics around for testing when we start implementing magic.

Now for the graphics themself.

The fireball and the iceball look really good. You are already using PNG. That is good. But you should use an alphatransparent background instead of a black one. Also note that we need the graphics from at least 4 directions. 8 directions would be even better.

The ground circle and the bubble effect would maybe be better done with single particles and the new particle engine instead of a static animation. The particle engine will be part of the next version. You can already take a look at it when you download and compile the latest development version from our subversion directory when you know how. For more information about the particle engine see:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=2311
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Particle_engine
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Tarrei
Peon
Peon

Post by Tarrei »

I already have started making the things on transparent Background. I gonna edit this post...

I just recognized it's pretty hard. :?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Actually a black background is also fine for these effects, since it's trivial to convert a black background to transparency when there are no dark parts present in the sprite. In GIMP, you can go to Layer -> Transparency -> Color to Alpha..., and then choose black as the transparent color. For example:

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Also if our graphics engine were to support screen/add drawing mode a black background for fire effects wouldn't be a problem.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I think we should start to experiment on the visual style and feeling of magical effects with the particle engine. Especially how to make the effect subtly (or greatly) different varying on the fine details of the caster in question. I'd like magic to have a feeling of power in it. (Think of Fallout series critical hit death effects on a conceptual level: impact and sound integration is the key.)
This message used to be meaningful.
Tarrei
Peon
Peon

Post by Tarrei »

So what now???? I'm a little... confused :?: :?: :?:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Modanung wrote:Also if our graphics engine were to support screen/add drawing mode a black background for fire effects wouldn't be a problem.
I don't see a real reason to implement that.
Tarrei wrote:So what now???? I'm a little... confused :?: :?: :?:
I would suggest you to create a front, back and left view of the fireball and the iceball on transparent background. They look great and I doubt that we won't find a use for them.

I think we could have them flying over the screen leaving a trail of particles behind.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Crush wrote:
Modanung wrote:Also if our graphics engine were to support screen/add drawing mode a black background for fire effects wouldn't be a problem.
I don't see a real reason to implement that.
You will if it's implemented. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Modanung wrote:You will if it's implemented. :)
OK, let me explain you the difficulties in implementing new blitting modes.

-It would be very slow as blending modes like "screen" require some intense calculations for every single pixel and can not be hardware accelerated.
-We would have to program it for openGL and software separately.
-We would have to program those ourself and can not use a 3rd party library to do so.
-Because we can't rely on a 3rd party library for portability we have to take all the portablity issues in account like different byte order on some architectures, different color formats in different graphic modes and so on. Both for openGL and software.

And now you explain what we could do with different blending modes what we can't do with alpha transparency.
  • NOT a game master

Tarrei
Peon
Peon

Post by Tarrei »

So, here we go with the left side < :
ImageImageImage

And to the right:
ImageImageImage Image
Last edited by Tarrei on 09 May 2007, 18:36, edited 2 times in total.