Error with 0.0.23

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Error with 0.0.23

Post by BadMrBox »

This is quite strange. I installed Crush's unofficial update and that worked the first time I started it. The second time it didn't. Complained about that the update process wasn't completed. The error message ended with failed writing body. I have now installed the version from the frontpage and I have the same error when I try to run the game. What's that all about?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Can you please provide the exact error message, the log or other useful informations?
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

This is all the info I got:
The update process is incomplete.
It is strongly recommended that you try again later

Failed writing body
And when I press ok it say's: Equipment Database: Could not find equipment.xml.
So obviously equipment.xml is missing... but why?
I dont even get a tmw log.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

I have manually downloaded all zip files and the problem is still at hand. I really don't know what to do :?
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

Try deleting everything in the updates folder, and then reconnecting. If that doesn't work uninstall the program, delete the folder entirely and reinstall.
That should fix your problem.
-Cosmostrator
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

BadMrBox wrote:I dont even get a tmw log.
As of version 0.0.23, the custom folder of tmw as moved to Documents and Settings\[User]\.tmw (Windows XP) or Users\[User] (Windows Vista), so please check your log there.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

As of version 0.0.23, the custom folder of tmw as moved to Documents and Settings\[User]\.tmw (Windows XP) or Users\[User] (Windows Vista), so please check your log there.
Yeah, I read about that in another thread and it was there my problem problem was located. My name contains one of thoose nice letters that doesn't exist in the english language so the config file had changed it to something very strange. I corrected that and it now works perfect :D
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Excuse me for the doublepost but I noticed that I have to change the config everytime I have rebooted the computer. This can get very tedious in the long run.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

BadMrBox wrote:Excuse me for the doublepost but I noticed that I have to change the config everytime I have rebooted the computer. This can get very tedious in the long run.
Uhm. I don't think so. Just close the client, edit the file and start the client again.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Uhm. I don't think so. Just close the client, edit the file and start the client again.
Yeah, and doing that everytime I start up the computer to play TMW will be annoying.
Blorx2
Novice
Novice

Post by Blorx2 »

look on the bright side, at least you can play :D

EDIT: i've got Vista and it works fine
"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he needs to" - Gandalf
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

I noticed the other day that it has nothing to do with restarting windows. When I shut down TMW and restart it I have to open the config and change the username again to make it work.

Blorx2: does your username contain å,ä,ö or any other nonenglish letters?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

BadMrBox wrote:I noticed the other day that it has nothing to do with restarting windows. When I shut down TMW and restart it I have to open the config and change the username again to make it work.

Blorx2: does your username contain å,ä,ö or any other nonenglish letters?
Maybe you can set your configuration file to read-only? Of course TMW won't be able to save any config changes then, but it may help against the evil home dir reset.

Of course it would be better to actually work with "strange" characters as expected.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Hm, the config file was already in write protected mode. Wouldn't that mean that I shouldn't be able to alter it at all?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

BadMrBox wrote:Hm, the config file was already in write protected mode. Wouldn't that mean that I shouldn't be able to alter it at all?
One would think so, but I'm not a Windows expert. :-)