Hero of Allacrost - Nice GPL'ish tilesets

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Hero of Allacrost - Nice GPL'ish tilesets

Post by i »

Hi there :)

There is something you should seen, if of course u haven't yet.
http://www.allacrost.org/ - Hero of Allacrost

It's GPL offline RPG. They use some of ours graphics, so I thought we could also use some of their artwork.

And IMO that's the way TILESETS should look like :) They also have very nice walkable/nonwalkable system. Every flags are described in .lua files.

I am suggesting to consider use of those tilesets.
thats all.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Those tilesets look really awesome. But I am afraid they look indeed too awesome.

I doubt that they would work together with the other tiles we are using. They would set a new quality level that all new tiles would have to match. New contributions, especially newbies to pixel art, will be unable to keep up with it (in fact I couldn't create tiles with that quality level either). I think using them might hurt the development more on the long term that creating our own tiles.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Can't we adapt old tiles?

Regards.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I think we should discuss this with them, even though we could legally just start using their tiles anyway (assuming they're under GPL, I haven't checked).

I realise the problem Crush brought up, but I think that's not a good reason not to make parts of The Mana World really stand out. I think good graphics like these can also help identify other areas of improvement and stimulate people to make these improvements.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

assuming level of those tileset isn't very hard to reach. If experienced people like Jetryl might help us by drawing tiles or by giving us hints and suggestions he really could adapt rest of our tilesets to this level. That kind of cooperation would be good for both sides: TMW and Hero of Allacrost. We could develope mutual tileset. For example "stone" clifs could be in easy way adapt to dessert region.

I hope that Allacrost developers share this oppinion too.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

the tileset comes from Lost Garden:
http://lostgarden.com/2006/07/more-free ... phics.html
I’d imagine that if you are making a 2D game with any sort of wilderness or villages, these would be an ideal starting place and are a lot less painful than tracking down a competent artist. As always, these tiles are free to be used in whatever projects you desire. (I need to get a copyleft license available at some point.) If you do use the graphics, drop me a note. I love hearing about projects.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

indeed. thnx for link :) In that package we could find some other interesting tiles. this artwork is free. but we have to ensure is it gpl.

edit.

originaly tiles have 40x40px, in Allacros they are rescalled to 32x32px.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

I would stick with tilesets made by staff and fans of TMW. Reason being it will then be original. People dont like seeing the same tiles on many games and those could be used anywhere. Sure the tilesets for this game now are the same way but at least they are originals for TMW. I mean after a while you could see the above tileset on many games.

I would just stick with all custom stuff made by TMW people for TMW. I think that keeps it original and fun.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

HaLLanHype wrote:I would stick with tilesets made by staff and fans of TMW. Reason being it will then be original. People dont like seeing the same tiles on many games and those could be used anywhere. Sure the tilesets for this game now are the same way but at least they are originals for TMW. I mean after a while you could see the above tileset on many games.

I would just stick with all custom stuff made by TMW people for TMW. I think that keeps it original and fun.
I don't insist on including those specific tilesets into TMW. Also TMW original content can be drawn in similar style. At present day we have only one problem - lack of skills ;)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I think we discussed this with iru on IRC and decided they're too modern for our style. We mostly just discussed about how we need stone and wood texturing like that with the shading level we've accepted. Why this never conveyed itself onto the forums, I do not know.

Although I have hopes of dragging Jetryl back in at some point.
This message used to be meaningful.
Amethyst
Novice
Novice

Post by Amethyst »

I think instead of using the tiles we should persuade the devs from over there to help out over here.
Shade
Peon
Peon

Post by Shade »

Rotonen wrote:I think we discussed this with iru on IRC and decided they're too modern for our style. We mostly just discussed about how we need stone and wood texturing like that with the shading level we've accepted. Why this never conveyed itself onto the forums, I do not know.

Although I have hopes of dragging Jetryl back in at some point.
Since you're speaking of Wesnoth Alumni, have any of you had dealing with Frame? I'm in no way speaking for him, and I'm in no way in active contact with him, and I'm not suggesting you poach him from another project, but I think he had the biggest hand in drawing the Wesnoth terrain tiles. He's really quite good at pixel art. Assuming it's the same Frame I've seen him on the OoLite forums recently... If one of you happens to be his friend / know him he'd be a really good person to suck up to. :) [And he seems to rather like pixeling for free software projects in his spare time.]
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Indeed they are currently too awesome for us.

So I wasted ~3 years thinking iru would be awesome ;D
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

This is an interesting thread.
Rotonen wrote:I think we discussed this with iru on IRC and decided they're too modern for our style. We mostly just discussed about how we need stone and wood texturing like that with the shading level we've accepted. Why this never conveyed itself onto the forums, I do not know.
You have no shading level on your tiles; you might think you do, but I'm not sure you guys rightly understand shading. (Proper shading, amongst other things, would end up making your tiles look a lot better.) It's complicated, and in very simple terms; to understand shading, which is an entirely procedural process (parameters of which can be bent to suit one's style), study how a "Raydiosity" renderer works, and imitate it.
Rotonen wrote:Although I have hopes of dragging Jetryl back in at some point.
.enigmatik wrote:I think instead of using the tiles we should persuade the devs from over there to help out over here.
:( Sorry to dash your hopes; I do lurk here, but unless there's some transformative change in how this project operates, I'm not going to ever contribute again. I speak for both neoriceisgood and myself in saying that were both very disappointed in how this project is being managed, and how terminally little is getting done on the code side (and on all graphics besides what we ourselves were making). I don't mean to rain on your parade - I really do hope you guys get your act together, because it would be cool to see this game take off - but as things stand, I'm not interested in helping.

However, I'm happy to make GPL stuff, for other games, that you can reuse - TMW and allacrost use compatible monster and ground-tile image sizes, for one; and that wasn't entirely by coincidence. I hope that these elements get reused.

assuming level of those tileset isn't very hard to reach. If experienced people like Jetryl might help us by drawing tiles or by giving us hints and suggestions he really could adapt rest of our tilesets to this level. That kind of cooperation would be good for both sides: TMW and Hero of Allacrost. We could develope mutual tileset. For example "stone" clifs could be in easy way adapt to dessert region.

I hope that Allacrost developers share this oppinion too.
:D Yeah, I/we do - if you're working on some resource that could be shared between both projects, I'd love to offer advice and actual hands-on help. Some of what I intend to make for Harrvah's desert tilesets could work wonderfully between both projects - additionally, we could both use some good imagery of general town props (think of what was in Legend of Zelda, link to the past).
Last edited by Jetryl on 14 Jun 2007, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

EJlol wrote:the tileset comes from Lost Garden:
http://lostgarden.com/2006/07/more-free ... phics.html
I’d imagine that if you are making a 2D game with any sort of wilderness or villages, these would be an ideal starting place and are a lot less painful than tracking down a competent artist. As always, these tiles are free to be used in whatever projects you desire. (I need to get a copyleft license available at some point.) If you do use the graphics, drop me a note. I love hearing about projects.
Yeah, we got that tileset from danc; they were public domain, and PD items, at least in the US, can be GPLed - (even if there is some legal niggling, the author has expressly given his permission for anyone to do anything they want with the images). We actually edited several parts of it, and are going to add quite a bit more into it.

There's also another tileset, for caves, which Josiah Tobin and I made from scratch (so it's GPL, of course):