couple of ideas about inventory storage

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

zick
Novice
Novice

couple of ideas about inventory storage

Post by zick »

first the npc dialog boxes ... i find them cumbersome. the fact that you have to talk to an npc and then wait for a response dialog (i.e. - will you do a quest for me? [wait for new screen that has a yes or no box]) why not integrate the answers into the bottom options of the dialog boxes? also the title of the window says "npc" i think it should be the npc's name or something other than npc.

second, i notice there is a weight limit to how much stuff you can carry. another take on that would be equipment slots, lets say you start out with a certain amount of slots. and lets say you add some pants with pockets, pockets add a couple of extra slots. equip some cargo pants (which would have more pockets than regular pants) gives you even more slots. throw on a belt, now you can attach items to the belt. the idea is slots are different from a weight limit, slots are for individual items and weight is for how many of those individual items you can carry. so either sell/trade the stuff ou got or stash it somewhere. i read that one of the goals is to eventually add housing to this game, that can be a stash point.
Joe Pendragon
Peon
Peon

Post by Joe Pendragon »

hey, I kinda like the pocket's slots idea! it could be studied!
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I don't see much reason to study that idea, it's been done and overdone many times by games like Diablo and World of Warcraft. Personally I prefer to leave out this artificial complexity and just stick to weight.

The NPC dialogs can indeed use a lot of improvement. I've since long been planning to take them into a new direction and to see if they could be more like talking balloons, but so far I didn't have time to finish that yet.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

i never realized diablo or wow used my pocket idea. of course i never really got into either of those games. i thought my idea was original ... oh well.

balloons would be cool, but it has been overdone too.
imachine
Peon
Peon

Post by imachine »

sorry to revive a possibly old thread, but this also occured to me today while playing. if not for anything else, than have the quickshot slots for battles! clicking inventory and use on healing potions and food is just a lot of work to heal up during combat, sometimes it's just those few seconds that take our game lives away.

one could assign an apple or a cactus potion to a quickshot slot and have it used by pressing, say, alt-1 or alt-2. battle healing done easy!

another idea regarding the game interface I had today was to improve the equipment window, making it look like a human with boxes in different places on the body. that way we'd know what goes where - yes, it's been done, but it's not a stupid idea :)

cheers!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Quickslots are already implemented in the current developer version and an equipment window with a character silouette in the background is already in use in the 0.1.0 client.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
biza
Peon
Peon

Post by biza »

another idea regarding the game interface I had today was to improve the equipment window, making it look like a human with boxes in different places on the body. that way we'd know what goes where - yes, it's been done, but it's not a stupid idea
We already have that
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... ipment.png