Enforcing No Bots

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Amethyst
Novice
Novice

Enforcing No Bots

Post by Amethyst »

I don't like bots and no one else does. Here is a direct quote from runescape why they enforce the rules.
Why do we have this rule?

First, we don't want players to download third party RuneScape software from untrusted sources that can, and often do, contain keyloggers, trojans and viruses. Many players have had their accounts stolen because they have inadvertently installed hacking software on their machines. Even if the author has good intentions, an unintended flaw in their software could still put your account at risk. Even some supposedly reputable software has had problems in the past. There are also cases of people deliberately writing software which looks like a cool RuneScape add-on but actually just steals your password.

Secondly, macroing ruins the game for everyone else. We don't want some players having an unfair advantage and filling up all the best training spots with bots. This game is designed to be enjoyed by humans, not bots. In the past, when we have not enforced this rule, we have rapidly found it quickly spoils the game, and players themselves start demanding that we enforce it. So now we enforce it thoroughly.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

The software that players are currently using is best described as ALPHA. It is available to the public for TESTING purposes. If you are unhappy with anything in the current build, feel free to fix it yourself, or find some one to assist you.

The current development team has stressed many times that the main focus right now is to get TMWServ up and functional, so that the game can begin being developed to meet the goals of the project (a Secret of Mana-like MMORPG). Once the new server is in place, much of the work to prevent botting will not be able to be put to use because of a new/different system. If the developers spend time on preventing botting now, they are putting off on finishing the server, and whatever work they do towards removing botters will be in vain.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Dr Wahl wrote:The software that players are currently using is best described as ALPHA.
Ahem, pre-alpha.

Although with enough interested volunteers, I don't see anything impossible. It's just a matter of organizing it. In any case it just means extra work.
This message used to be meaningful.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

When I will have the time again (I have quite busy time now with changing my work, place to live itd.) I will hunt bots with pleasure. I suppose we have to choose some GMs.

Regards.
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

Advice: Look into woodland's bats cave. Always that I pass there, I find one.
I think you really should put a spotline, or something like that, telling people this is a testing server. They bot because they want to be the higher players. When they know this will not happen, at least not on this server, they will stop doing it and start playing for fun.
LEG0LAS + Bow = 100arrows/s
Fennias Maxim
Peon
Peon

Post by Fennias Maxim »

LEG0LAS wrote:Advice: Look into woodland's bats cave. Always that I pass there, I find one.
am i a bot if i put some coins on keyboard?
JoshLangley
Peon
Peon

Post by JoshLangley »

Why would people be botting at this stage anyway?? Are the current characters from eAthena even gonna be kept?
Apart form draining server resources and seeking personal gain, I don't see the point. When we get the trunk server out though, I would like to see some botters get underway, so we can make improvements.

I remember playing muOnline and simple code fixes could have prevented allot of cheating that went on (myself included at one stage). However I must point out the difference between botting to try and help the development process, and botting for personal gain, which are clearly different.
At this stage botting isn't needed to help the development process, so.... yeah, u get the idea.
You would be basically just draining the servers precious resources, when the could be better spent, testing and debugging. Since their are no monthly subscription fees, I suggest not abusing the priveledges we are blessed with by botting/glitching/cheating/hacking.
kind regards,
Josh Langley.

http://www.myspace.com/Langerz
yhargabibble
Peon
Peon

Re: Enforcing No Bots

Post by yhargabibble »

JoshLangley wrote:Why would people be botting at this stage anyway?
Just to prove to myself that I can :D

And because Pascal is the only programming language that I don't suck at.

Code: Select all

//Version 1.0.1
//Tested using SCAR 3.15 and TMW 0.0.24.1 on windowed mode
//Instructions:
//Change the xresolution and yresolution constants depending on the resolution
//of the game, NOT of the monitor.
//Walk into the bat cave in the snow area, and press play.
program IceCaveaBot;

var
   x: Integer;
   y: Integer;

//Change the numbers here depending on the game resolution
const
   xpixels = 1152;
   ypixels = 864;

begin

FindWindow('The Mana World');
      ActivateClient;

repeat
begin
      if(FindColorTolerance(x, y, 7368666, 1, 1, xpixels, ypixels, 10))then
           begin
           ClickMouse(x, y, true);
           KeyDown(162);
           wait(100);
           KeyUp(162);
           Wait(1000);
           end
     else
      begin
           KeyDown(GetKeyCode('a'));
           Wait(100);
           KeyUp(GetKeyCode('a'));
           KeyDown(162);
           wait(100);
           KeyUp(162);
      end;
      if(FindColorTolerance(x, y, 11721, 1, 1, xpixels, ypixels, 10))then
      SendArrowWait(2, 500);
end
until(False);

end.
This post probably warrants a ban and IP blacklisting. >.<
Last edited by yhargabibble on 25 Apr 2008, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

My TMW Client (0.0.x) is almost like bot. I'm testing now route module - from one city to another with avoiding monsters. Will be my account banned? :) I also got autokill, autoheall and auto away form players modules :) I hope it will be in future talk in 'engrish' on the level br players. Maybe I should implement there some AIML features.

Actually... YES I'm botting in tmw :P

Anyway making a bot that works in TMW 0.1.x will be very hard because of new system of real time combat. Attack zones, strategy, suporting skills, etc - All that could be too much for bot.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

From The Laws of Online World Design:

No matter what you do, someone is going to automate the process of playing your world.
[...]
Looking at what parts of your game players tend to automate is a good way to determine which parts of the game are tedious and/or not fun.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yanom
Peon
Peon

Post by yanom »

Create some AI that will flag down repetitive motions & report them to a human mod for checking.

Or use random events like RuneScape
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Sure, no problem. But how do we prevent such an advanced AI from becoming sentient and trying to take over the world?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Crush wrote:Sure, no problem. But how do we prevent such an advanced AI from becoming sentient and trying to take over the world?
Isn't that what peavey is? :wink:
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
yanom
Peon
Peon

Post by yanom »

Use another AI to watch over the first. Or use random events, like I said.
niels.ellegaard
Peon
Peon

Post by niels.ellegaard »

Would it be easy to code that if a player kills 200 bats during a 24 hour period then she cannot gain xp by killing any more bats until the 24 hours have passed? That would make botting a little more difficult and it would encourage players to wander around to see more of the server. Of course it would require a lot of memory to keep track of each combination of player and monster, but perhaps one can invent some kind of garbage collection.

But then again this solution is a bit overengineered :)