exp idea

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Gwah
Peon
Peon

exp idea

Post by Gwah »

a helpful but not needed idea would be to put how much exp each kill gives you ether after you kill monster have a number come up off to the side saying +??exp.

i am at lvl 31 now and only been playing a few hours a day from lvl 1-30 i was lvling like crazy but from 30-31 nothing i killed gave me a full precent per kill and i couldent see how much exp i was actually getting.i can see how much exp i need until my next lvl but who has time to kill then pop open their status menu.
Amethyst
Novice
Novice

Re: exp idea

Post by Amethyst »

Gwah wrote:a helpful but not needed idea would be to put how much exp each kill gives you ether after you kill monster have a number come up off to the side saying +??exp.

i am at lvl 31 now and only been playing a few hours a day from lvl 1-30 i was lvling like crazy but from 30-31 nothing i killed gave me a full precent per kill and i couldent see how much exp i was actually getting.i can see how much exp i need until my next lvl but who has time to kill then pop open their status menu.
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... _reference :)
Gwah
Peon
Peon

Post by Gwah »

that helps but i mean like add it in the game so you dont have to keep fliping back and forth to refrences i mean you could also look in your status screen. again this isnt a have to there are other ways to see the exp you get sure but for it to come up and tell you with out wondering what the fux.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

i think what you want is a response from the server (like when you pick up an item) saying "You've gained x EXP!" ... that's alot of messages from the server though.
Kicon Kijin
Peon
Peon

Post by Kicon Kijin »

I have seen rpgs where after you killed an enemy it poped up a message next to the character and read +11xp

similar to the number that comes up when you hit somthing
BitHacker wrote:You are running WINE on our back-end dev cluster. What happened to keeping it CLEAN.
JoshLangley
Peon
Peon

Post by JoshLangley »

the xp bar in the status window adds the xp value straight-away, so eAthena must indeed send back the value (though I haven't checked the code yet).
So I it could be easily done without changes to the server. If it requires any coding on the server, then I'm afraid that it you would just have to wait until the custom server is released.
Add it to mantis, and I'll take a look at it later.
kind regards,
Josh Langley.

http://www.myspace.com/Langerz
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The exp handling code can be found in src/net/playerhandler.cpp starting in line 196.

I would suggest to create a new direct-particle-spawn method in the style of "addTextSplashEffect" to the particle engine that creates a text particle with properties that fit for representing exp gain (like negative gravity, short lifetime and fade-out, for example. But don't hesitate to experiment a bit with the particle properties - it's fun). This should - like the damage effect - be called from the player class. The exp point total should be encapsulated with proper getters and setters anyway.

To sum it all up this is the course of action I propose:
-Encapsulate the public member variables of the player class (src/player.h, src/player.cpp) that are manipulated in src/net/playerhandler.cpp line 195 - 212
-Create a new hardcoded particle effect like "addTextSplashEffect" in src/ particle.h, src/particle.cpp
-Call this particle effect from the setter method for the exp value in src/player.cpp (see src/being.cpp line 191 for reference)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
JoshLangley
Peon
Peon

Post by JoshLangley »

Crush wrote:The exp handling code can be found in src/net/playerhandler.cpp starting in line 196.

I would suggest to create a new direct-particle-spawn method in the style of "addTextSplashEffect" to the particle engine that creates a text particle with properties that fit for representing exp gain (like negative gravity, short lifetime and fade-out, for example. But don't hesitate to experiment a bit with the particle properties - it's fun). This should - like the damage effect - be called from the player class. The exp point total should be encapsulated with proper getters and setters anyway.

To sum it all up this is the course of action I propose:
-Encapsulate the public member variables of the player class (src/player.h, src/player.cpp) that are manipulated in src/net/playerhandler.cpp line 195 - 212
-Create a new hardcoded particle effect like "addTextSplashEffect" in src/ particle.h, src/particle.cpp
-Call this particle effect from the setter method for the exp value in src/player.cpp (see src/being.cpp line 191 for reference)
that sounds like a bit of work for an initiate like me :sad: , when I complete the configurable keyboard input, I'll take a look at it and see if it's not beyond my ability. :wink:
kind regards,
Josh Langley.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I consider the keyboard mapping a lot more complicated.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
JoshLangley
Peon
Peon

Post by JoshLangley »

here is the mantis reference: http://mantis.themanaworld.org/view.php?id=115

:D
kind regards,
Josh Langley.