ideas about: jobs, stats, skills, pvp, shops

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
aleph
Peon
Peon

ideas about: jobs, stats, skills, pvp, shops

Post by aleph »

no jobs, no classes!

skills define what you are and what you can do...

special items only players can make, also allow players to have some "flee market"
where they could either rent space in some town, hire npc bots to maintain the station,
or even maybe get robbed , there could be freelance places with no fees, in more "lawless zones... maybe even a black market in areas that could be illegal to buy or sell weapons.( the police state/ towns would probably be like this)

hide names, I really don't wear a name tag while I walk around. set up friend lists that could show names after you meet the person (added them to the list) + custom avatars might be nice.
that could be done with a server side cache that gets the avatar from the client, and updates a cache on the client. (I'm no coder though, it just seems like it could work)

PVP!

maybe, you have to initiate a fight, and or have a "whitelist" for comrades you don't want to hit, and a blacklist for your enemies

stat points no more!

your stats get built up, based on what you do, want dex, through rocks at cops, want to through them farther, use heavier rocks to build strength, or a heavy sword or the like . read a few books to gain intelligence, etc etc.

I have some other ideas too, though I could go into deeper detail on these ones, but I would also like some feedback on them, to make sure i'm on the right track.

i would also like to get more involved with this project, though the only thing I can offer now is content, being a fan of table top games, and being a game-master for my very own steam-punk worlds.

cheers
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: ideas about: jobs, stats, skills, pvp, shops

Post by Matt »

aleph wrote:no jobs, no classes!

no way!
Blamoo
Novice
Novice

Re: ideas about: jobs, stats, skills, pvp, shops

Post by Blamoo »

Matt wrote:
aleph wrote:no jobs, no classes!

no way!

Double "No way!"

no classes = "BAH" ¬¬
Styku
Peon
Peon

Post by Styku »

"No classes" - not so bad idea. Probably only a few persons from this forum remember cRPG named Arcanum. There was no classes, but you could became so called magician or technician by investing in magician or technician abilities.
Also I like the idea with hiding character names
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Do you see these guys who has "TMW Developer" under their name? Yes, those are the ones who says "no way". So either put the contructive arguments or go away.

Regards.
Last edited by Platyna on 24 Jul 2007, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
JoshLangley
Peon
Peon

Post by JoshLangley »

Platyna wrote:Do you see these guys who has "TMW Developer" under their name? Yes, those are the ones who says "no way". So either put the contructive arguments or go away.

Regards.
Crack that whip... heeeyaaar :lol:

aleph, it's great that u have these creative ideas, but realistically when we still haven't even got a proper battle system that we are happy with, there is no room for new features.

Think of it like creating a PnP (paper and pencil) game, without of actually having figured out how the players can attack a monster. I think you would have a DM mutany on your hands. ^-^
That when your hope that your DM shield is strong enough to shield the blows from the Player onslaught that will follow. You could always fudge a system, and pretend their is one in place. I have done it before and players don't really care, if they have noticed at all, however computers don't have that luxury, they need clear instructions on what how to operate.

Cutting your grand ideas is always a disheartening thing, but the sooner u reach more realistic expectations, then the quicker you can attain them, and then expand on those goals.

Start off doing some simple things like art, or minor code changes, then u will get a rough idea on how much work may be involved, in what you have just suggested. All the best, and hopefully I will be working alongside you down the track. ;)
kind regards,
Josh Langley.

http://www.myspace.com/Langerz
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Uhm wasn't it planned from the beginning that tmw wont have classes?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The quality of this thread forced it into off topic.
This message used to be meaningful.
aleph
Peon
Peon

Post by aleph »

Rotonen, that's sad.

Platyna wrote:
--
Do you see these guys who has "TMW Developer" under their name? Yes, those are the ones who says "now way". So either put the contructive arguments or go away.
---

what?

JoshLangley:

that is true, though not all forms of gaming are hack and slash, but this isn't about pens and paper, I just wanted to get these ideas out and see if they hit, and I guess they didn't though I would like to learn how to implement these into ones and zeros, and this seems like a project that allows that to be possible, even if it never makes it into "the mana world" doesn't mean i can't learn from this project and fork it with different game mechanics. Though it's all theory now, and just some rambling now...

cheers
JoshLangley
Peon
Peon

Post by JoshLangley »

aleph wrote:that is true, though not all forms of gaming are hack and slash, but this isn't about pens and paper, I just wanted to get these ideas out and see if they hit, and I guess they didn't though I would like to learn how to implement these into ones and zeros, and this seems like a project that allows that to be possible, even if it never makes it into "the mana world" doesn't mean i can't learn from this project and fork it with different game mechanics. Though it's all theory now, and just some rambling now...
In that case I suggest you learn the basics of a object oriented programming language, I recommend (C++, or Java).
Believe it or not, but I'm sure most of us were like u, with grand ideas for games at one stage or another. :wink:
Once you learn that, then create your 1st game, preferably something really simple like a puzzle game, and move from their.
kind regards,
Josh Langley.

http://www.myspace.com/Langerz