manipulation + combination of objects

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Argh
Peon
Peon

manipulation + combination of objects

Post by Argh »

Hey Guys!

My suggestion would be to give every object a list with possible partners for combinations, the appropriating results, and needed actions to fulfill the combination/manipulation.
An example to make this more clearly:
You've got a flour sack, a barrel of water, and your character is standing in front of an oven. Imagine: you could now click on the oven which brings up a small menu with the actions it provides (maybe related to the skills/abilities of the user). You would fire it up. Then you would use your own "combine" skill (or something like that) to combine the flour and the water to a piece of dough which you put into the oven who transforms the dough into a bread - voil?!
Another example would be: you've got an axe, a piece of wood and... say... some kind of art skill, so now you could use your artskill with the axe which targets to the piece of wood - and after a while you've got yourself a statue or something like that.

What needs to be thought over is, how that would be organized... the most simple solution I think would be to setup a global "combination-list", where the game looks up what happens, when A is used with B.

Okay this was a little bit confusing, I for myself will need to think about it until all is completely clear, but I hope you could filter out what I mean :wink:
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

This, I really like. Probably be difficult to implement, but item creation and transformation would be cool as all get-out.
252-rer
Peon
Peon

Post by 252-rer »

So we are looking at a possible mix of :
RO + UO + Runescape + Toadwater + Secret of Mana + what else :roll:
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Why mix?

Create. Sure, pull useful or cool elements from other stuff. But why just mix preexisting stuff together, when you can be original, eh?

There are a lot of possabilities with this sort of item manipulation, that I'm sure haven't been explored. It's vastly open-ended; this is the creative fun-time.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Yeah it would be nice if you could use items with echother or with objects in the world. It will be interesting to think about a user interface for this and how it communicates with the server, and also how these things are specified in the item scripts or definition files.

I have too many other things to think about at the moment though. :-)
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

well this would mean we have point+click-adventure-elements which is not bad
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

I like it. Crafting and sculpting allows players to do something besides fight and talk. That's always a good thing for an RPG game, especially if the things you fight can give you materials for the crafting. What sorts of crafts would we support?

Smithing - Metal Weapons and Armor
Jeweler - Accessories and some special equipments
Cooking - Food items and candy
Artist - Furniture & decoration for a player's house maybe?

anyone have any more?
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Tanning, sewing/cobbling, alchemy, potionmaking, woodworking, animal training (I'm thinking here, you've got a baby animal as an item, that you combine with food a certain number of times over a set timespan, and it becomes an animal companion; eg, spawns an allied monster, and if you don't combine regularly or have a low level in the skill it runs off), magic crafting (for basic magic items), etc.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

ahh you mean like these monsters that follow you RO ..well i had some of it when i played it.

but i like the idea of :
you have to get eggs from our normals monsters we have in The Mana World.

well then when the monsters come out of thier egg you have to give them food and hit them and stuff
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

And clean up their poo.
Argh
Peon
Peon

Post by Argh »

well then when the monsters come out of thier egg you have to give them food and hit them and stuff
ugh... that reminds me on a stupid japanese "toy" I wanted to have as child... wasn't that Tamagochi?
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Yeah, but could your Tamagotchi fight for you? :wink:

Just an idea to please the Diablo2 Necro types who like to have minions to fight alongside them.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

A couple other skill ideas.

1. Armorcrafting. This could be done in a number of ways, depending on the type of armor. Let's take the example of the simple leather armor sprite I made. It's nothing but some chunks of hard leather attached to a shirt. Ok, well, first the character would need the raw materials. For the shirt, I could see two options: making it (using a sewing skill and cloth) or buying it from a shop (more expensive, but it can't fail to be made). So, you have a shirt. For the leather, we introduce another skill: leatherworking. Again, two options for attaining the material. In this case, either certain monsters would drop it after battles (poor quality), which you could then attempt to leatherwork into high quality if you wanted, or you could buy it from shops (standard quality). With the two materials, one could use the armorcrafting skill to attempt to combine them into leather armor, the quality of which would depend on the quality of leather. Skill success means you now have the armor, which would be drawn as the leather-armor sprite over the shirt sprite (to accomodate different colors and styles of shirts), whereas failure would consume both and generate an unwearable leather armor item in your inventory. There is a reason for this item generation, and it has to do with my second idea.

2. Another new skill idea: deconstruction. This would likely be a harder skill to master than most. It is used on constructable items (items that could have been constructed out of base materials, whether a player actually did or they bought it at a shop makes no difference), with the exception of forged items (weapons and such) to break them back into their component materials. Success deconstructs the item (ex, leather armor back into leather and shirt); failure consumes it without giving anything back.
Argh
Peon
Peon

Post by Argh »

Hey Talaroc!

I love your two ideas, really! :mrgreen:
They definitly would add much more flexibility to the gameplay.
I never would've come to that decostructing skill, though it would be really cool.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

And clean up their poo.
lol
ugh... that reminds me on a stupid japanese "toy" I wanted to have as child... wasn't that Tamagochi?
well not that way...
but in some kinda similar to the monsters you have in RO

well there were these monsters in "Legend of Mana" too.. it was fun to train them .. and a bit later they are really helpfull