Guilds

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

MathGeek
Novice
Novice

Guilds

Post by MathGeek »

I posted something about guilds on another thread but felt that it needed more attention.

Guilds would make for a very interesting game, by allowing guild members access to resources to advance their stats / skills. However guild would require members to act and dress appropriately, and possibly require payment on a regular basis. If a player was caught acting inappropriately they would be kicked out of a guild, or possibly killed ( ex. assassins guild ).

A Guild could be started by any player, but attracting players into a guild would me the challenge. Competing guild could have contests and possibly wars.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I read a lot of Discworld novels, which largely contributed to this idea.
Argh
Peon
Peon

Post by Argh »

Hey MathGeek!

I think guilds will be definitly implemented sooner or later, I can't imagine a RPG-World with out them. :)
I've got a suggestion regarding that: It would be cool as if their could some kind of bonus when acting in groups - like every player would have a kind of affecting circle around him, and if a member of the guild who he is in, steps into this, both can i.e. fight better, or npcs around get scary or what the heck...
MathGeek
Novice
Novice

Post by MathGeek »

Never understood the idea of splitting experience over a group.

I think a Guild should have very little rules set in the game. It should be up to the guildmembers to create their own security, guild rules, and benefits from being in the Guild.

For example, a wizards guild could provide classes that a character could attend. Should the teacher be an NPC or a character? I think the teacher should be a player that is getting rewarded for teaching.

Realism in guilds makes the programming simpler, but makes the game much more political.

Any opinions on this?
imorgado
Novice
Novice

Realism

Post by imorgado »

I really love realism in game.

Back to my UO server ;-)

In server that I developed we build 3 kingdons in Britania.

They are separated by Relions (ficticial)

Avatarhood (believe in power within)
Naturals (I really don't know how to translate the portuguese term, those believe in power of world, and nature)
I don't remember the third ;-)

One player in character creation chosee their kindom and never will leave. All players share the political organization of the world.

If player A from kingdom A is friend of B but kingdom B declare war against A, they are enemies in game (they're doesn't need to kill each other), but now they are separated by a war (this happen in a real world).

the wars are declared by a concil each realm has a concil (each city has a mayor), all city mayors formed kingdom concil. They are ruled by a Emperor/King/Lord (one game master).

The guilds in kingdom can be allies or enemies. But all kingdom setup has priority. If guild A (from Kingdom A) was ally of guild B (from kingdom B), and a War is deflagred between A and B kingdoms (same thing happens as player example).

In my server we're thinking about neutral guilds (not under kingdom judgement), they are not under theses rules (but we didn't implement this).

Group abilities should be a good reason to join players in groups, but should exist group skills as strategy (give bonus in defense), leadership (give bonus in attack), etc, as RO party skills. But they can be permanent as passive skills.

I think that XP should be banned, we should have skills and upgrade them by use.. this is another topic.
MathGeek
Novice
Novice

Post by MathGeek »

Interesting ideas there. I don't see why a Guild would be tied to any kingdom though. You don't have to share the opinions of your country, so why put that in a game?

I think that Guilds are groups of individuals that stand to benefit from cooperation. Once organized they can decide to become public, or be a secret organization.

Public guilds would need to interact with the rest of the world without causing conflict. These guilds would be subject to political pressure from the kingdom, but wouldn't have to side with the king.

Secret Guilds would need to remain secret, which is easier said than done, but would not have to deal with politics. In a online game players usually want to show off their accomplishments, so few people are likely to take this path.

If a player doesn't agree with his guild they could go against it. If they were not caught doing so then the guild can't punish them, but if they were caught it would be up to the guild to punish them. A person could even use information to blackmail another character.

In other words "leave it to the players to organize themselves", and make it easier for the designers of the game.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

My opinion: guilds should be run by players and the rules should be set by players (we could build them simple multiple choice rulesets to apply..?)
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

It's possible enough to make player controlled guilds that can collect information on the members and such. I'll be thinking a bout it a bit. Keep the ideas coming in.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
MathGeek
Novice
Novice

Post by MathGeek »

Well I'm starting to design the Guild System. Before I commit to anything I want to be sure I've covered the basics. Guilds will need:

Member lists - member IDs and ranks
Title list - Rank number and Title
List of rules + guidelines
Head Quarters Location
Member services / resources
Services provided to public ( ex. stores, policing )

Guilds would be run by either a leader or council. I have not figured out if the public should recognize the guilds someone is a member of on sight, their rank in that guild, or neither.

If anyone has anything else they would like to see please mention it.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I already listed a few functionalities in the other Guild thread.