New Monster - Living Lava

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Falcata
Novice
Novice

New Monster - Living Lava

Post by Falcata »

I recently came up with the idea for this new monster, called "Living Lava". It is lava that has been inhabited by a fire elemental, giving it a semblance of life. Here's a sprite image for it, made by color editing the green slime:

I have also put up a proposal for the monster on the creature proposal page at the wiki.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Aren't 5 slime variants enough? What we need are some new monsters, not just recolors of the old.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Crush wrote:Aren't 5 slime variants enough? What we need are some new monsters, not just recolors of the old.
Okay, fair enough. I'll try to come up with a few different concepts.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

There are already i dont know how many small monsters. If possible I want to see a bigger monster now.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I like this variation on the slime though.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Bjørn wrote:I like this variation on the slime though.
Agreed
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Then why not replace the yellow or red slime with it?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

EJlol wrote:Then why not replace the yellow or red slime with it?
Well, I do think this slime only fits in a lava cave.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:
Bjørn wrote:I like this variation on the slime though.
Agreed
Same here, I would go for it. And I don't know why we are so "norecolouring" people. I may underestand artists' urge for a challenge, but hell, we have Mona Lisa and we have wallpapers, some things does not require to be a masterpieces of skill and imagination. Items like casual pants and shirts needs nothing more than recolour and it not forbids us to make some super-uber-imagination luxury clothes or some original monsters. And we could have even 50 variants of slimes, mother nature has nothing against having a milion kinds of insects, then I am fine with having several kinds of slimes.

Regards.
Last edited by Platyna on 09 Sep 2007, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'm still against recoloring, but you cannot really do slimes in a lot of ways and I also like the color scheme on this one, so...
This message used to be meaningful.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Hm, I vote yes for using this slime in a lavabased map. As said before, slimebased monsters at this size can only be done in so many different ways and the colorscheme in this one is quite well done.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

i quite like it too...
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

I got a new few ideas on this monster. It steals items like most other slimes do, but any items that aren't fire resistant get destroyed. When it moves, it leaves behind a thin trail of lava, which damages anyone stepping on it unless they have footwear that protects against fire. When the monster dies, it cools and solidifies, gradually turning to gray stone. That last bit could be accomplished if support for animated death frames were added to TMW.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Falcata wrote:That last bit could be accomplished if support for animated death frames were added to TMW.
Death animations are already supported. But the only monster that makes use of this at the moment is the pumpkin ghost monster you could find during the last halloween event.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

How about not being discouraged by this and trying to produce something else for us?
This message used to be meaningful.