shield!

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

lion94
Novice
Novice

shield!

Post by lion94 »

hello my name is gunguy and i have a new idea!how would it with a shild to refuse the attacks from monsters??pls writes here comments to my idea fast! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
for example this one:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ymi ... /l/A56.jpg
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Re: shield!

Post by Falcata »

lion94 wrote:hello my name is gunguy and i have a new idea!how would it with a shild to refuse the attacks from monsters??pls writes here comments to my idea fast! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
for example this one:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ymi ... /l/A56.jpg
Translation: He wants shields included, which raise evasion by deflecting enemy attacks.

I'm for this idea, and I have a few comments on it. Shields are more effective against melee attacks than ranged attacks. They would also be less effective against most magic attacks, especially area affects. A use shield skill might be a good idea, and it would work by increasing your evasion further. And also, it should also be possible to use your melee weapon(s) like a shield, allowing you to parry attacks.
Last edited by Falcata on 26 Aug 2007, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: shield!

Post by Crush »

Falcata wrote:Shields are more effective against melee attacks than ranged attacks.
Classical and medieval era armies used shields quite succesfully to defend against ranged attacks.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

I see. I got that impression from Rifts, I guess, because in that game it was difficult/impossible to block ranged attacks. But then again, most ranged attacks in that game were either magic blasts or energy weapons.

Now then, trying to parry a ranged attack would be very difficult, unless you specifically trained to do so.

EDIT: Since Gunguy included a link to an image of a shield, I get the impression he just found out about them.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Hommer
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Hommer »

you must have not watched 300.
Join us in Holy Mana and become Strong.

http://www.freewebs.com/holymanaclan
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Falcata wrote:Now then, trying to parry a ranged attack would be very difficult, unless you specifically trained to do so.
With a sheild, blocking arrow is quite easy. On the other hand, well trained people can intercept arrows with their sword or club.
Mana Trance
Peon
Peon

Post by Mana Trance »

Saphy wrote:
Falcata wrote:Now then, trying to parry a ranged attack would be very difficult, unless you specifically trained to do so.
With a sheild, blocking arrow is quite easy. On the other hand, well trained people can intercept arrows with their sword or club.
One arrow, perhaps, if they saw it coming and had nothing to distract them.

Shields come in many flavors. A buckler, for example, is almost useless for blocking arrows - especially stronger, faster ones like crossbow bolts. A tower shield will protect the wielder from most arrows.

Keeping that in mind, there are two possibilities I see for implementing shields:

1) Allow certain shields to block ranged attacks to a certain degree. In the code block for a shield, add a canblock attribute or something for this purpose.

2) For shields, just grant a boost to defense. This meshes with armor and doesn't require any new attributes.

If you allow shields to block ranged attacks, there should be some downside to offset that. For example, only allow a specific class to use shields. Game balance is key here.
deviantArt's Angelic Remix
and
Co-Founder of Silver Gryphon Games
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Or this:

3) Each shield grants a bonus to evasion, since shields are meant to prevent an attack from connecting, rather than reducing the damage it causes.

As for a downside, I would have to say that you need to have a "Use Shield" skill in order to gain any real benefit from the shield.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Mana Trance wrote: One arrow, perhaps, if they saw it coming and had nothing to distract them.

Shields come in many flavors. A buckler, for example, is almost useless for blocking arrows - especially stronger, faster ones like crossbow bolts. A tower shield will protect the wielder from most arrows.
In that case, they are not up to par to be a true warrier. Professional ones can block multiple arrow subconsicously, distracted or not. But of course, the success rate will be lowered when distracted.

On the other hand, a good warrier can kill hundered of enemy, but a strategist can kill tens of thousands.
Mana Trance
Peon
Peon

Post by Mana Trance »

Saphy wrote:
Mana Trance wrote: One arrow, perhaps, if they saw it coming and had nothing to distract them.

In that case, they are not up to par to be a true warrier. Professional ones can block multiple arrow subconsicously, distracted or not. But of course, the success rate will be lowered when distracted.

On the other hand, a good warrier can kill hundered of enemy, but a strategist can kill tens of thousands.
Care to back up these claims of yours with some historical reference?

Also, it's "warrior," not "warrier."
deviantArt's Angelic Remix
and
Co-Founder of Silver Gryphon Games
rafael
Peon
Peon

Post by rafael »

How about if the shield blocks only when the target is facing to the shooter!?
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Should a distinction be made between one handed and two handed weapon? For example, a bow normally requires two hands to operate and thus cannot be combined with a shield, whereas some melee weapons only require one hand. I think high defense shields for melee fighters only could help balance out.