Level Up Button

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

imachine
Peon
Peon

Level Up Button

Post by imachine »

So I'm playing today and made a mistake of choosing the wrong stat (just hit the wrong button) and now my stat points are gone, that is sort of uncool.

Also when we introduce skills, and skill points as well which might improve during leveling up, it might be vital to perform a double-check dry run.

For that, I propose a 'level up' button, which pauses the game about the character (i.e. pauses him out of the system for a sec, making him appear as if he's not there similarly to being logged out), allows him to level up correctly, and when he's happy with his/her choices, points to a nice and cozy 'Level Up!' button or 'ok' button.

Then the settings are put in place, and the character's game is unpaused. Not clicking 'ok', but 'cancel', would cause the game to unpause, and the stats and skills+stat/skill points remain as before the leveling up occured, that is, still there and available for usage.

Cheers
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

You can already decide to level up your skill whenever you feel comfortable. The skill points are there until you use them. No need to pause the game, which seems quite unreasonable in a MMORPG.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

All he wants is that the changes you make when distributing stats are not accepted until you press "OK" and that you can undo them by pressing "Cancel".

He just doesn't realize that it could be implemented much easier by not sending the changes as soon as the player presses the "+" buttons but by sending all the chages together to the server when pressing "OK". We should keep this in mind for the new server.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
imachine
Peon
Peon

Post by imachine »

yeah, also, when leveling up it'd be nice to pause off from the game because otherwise it leaves the character vulnerable during the process, say you level up about a group of enemies, then you're well on your own the moment you wish to level up, you'd have to go to some safe location to hone the skills you basically already posses. unrealistic (as realistic as leveling up is anyway;)) and bringing an extra burden on the player.
Quiche_on_a_leash
Novice
Novice

Post by Quiche_on_a_leash »

Just adjust your stats after you've killed the monsters or moved away.
I see no need to pause the game what so ever.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Especially considering that there is abuse potential when you can become completely invulnerable by opening the attribute distribution window.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
imachine
Peon
Peon

Post by imachine »

only when you have points to add up, not just opening it to check what they are, if no 'level up' button is pressed, no pause is done and no window gets opened. also what abuse would that be, if the player cannot attack nor do anything - to the rest of the world it'd be just as if he/she had logged off, although his avatar would still be seen, only, in, say, grayscale. similarly, I don't think players should just disappear from the game when they log off, rather, they should stay there, on map, in this grayscale invulnerable manner...

later on what could be implemented would be a flesh-to-stone spell, etc, and for example logging off in the middle of a desert could lead to a clear death, has no camp been broken.

but that would acctually require dying to COST something, as far as I know currently, one can die and respawn as many times as he/she pleases, with no cost whatsoever except for ingame time required to go to the place he/she died at. No item, xp, gold loss, no nothing.

the need for breaking camp etc for log off time could perhaphs add some tire to the game (then there could be an outdoorsman skill which properly had could improve the chances of survival in hostile environments/lessen the damage done to the player character) and certainly would make inns a tad more usable - so far it seems as if they're only for the sake of healing up, and I suppose that's sort of tacky in the long run, what realism is that if one can climb to an ice cold cave in cloth shorts, and stay there for a week, standing, without taking any damage, while the nearby inns rot in despair having no customers? something to think about perhaphs, but that's getting slightly offtopic I suppose...