Icey Monsters?

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

kr0n05
Novice
Novice

Icey Monsters?

Post by kr0n05 »

What type of monster should I make for the Snow area? It seems a bit empty only having 4 different types of monsters unlike the other areas.

Ice Monster Development Status: FROZEN
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

What about a Glacious (from Killer Instinct game) style char with a Ice Hammer...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

How about some yeti-like white and hairy creature?

Or an ice golem - a golem made of ice cubes.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Quiche_on_a_leash
Novice
Novice

Post by Quiche_on_a_leash »

AxlTrozz wrote:What about a Glacious (from Killer Instinct game) style char with a Ice Hammer...
I seriously love the game, but he is a bit to human really.
Crush wrote:How about some yeti-like white and hairy creature?
Something like that would be cool. [Ice climbers: yeti]

Or maybe something like an the arctic fox .
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

An ice-themed bossmonster from ragnarok online:
You shouldn't rip it off, of course, but maybe it gives you some inspiration.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

My suggestion:

Conceptualize about 30 different monsters of the theme (rouch sketches at first), then start to push forward (more detailed sketches) 20 or so of the most popular designs. After this phase there should be 5 to 10 monsters that stand out enough to be worthy of pixellating.

We should make this workflow a standard. So far no one has had the patience for this. Let's hope you're the first one to be willing to cooperate with me on this.
This message used to be meaningful.
imachine
Peon
Peon

Post by imachine »

someone should I suppose make the stadards comply more. that is, be more ruthless about it. I mean come on so far here we have cool stuff like snakes scorpions and maggots which all look pretty real and decent to me, and then we gots stuff like spikey mushrooms and pinkies which are just sort of off to my taste, in relation to those other creatures.
kr0n05
Novice
Novice

Post by kr0n05 »

Rotonen wrote:My suggestion:

Conceptualize about 30 different monsters of the theme (rouch sketches at first), then start to push forward (more detailed sketches) 20 or so of the most popular designs. After this phase there should be 5 to 10 monsters that stand out enough to be worthy of pixellating.

We should make this workflow a standard. So far no one has had the patience for this. Let's hope you're the first one to be willing to cooperate with me on this.
That's a good idea. I think I'll try that.

@Crush: Thanks for the monster. I had an idea but I couldn't just visualize it. Thanks. :)

kr0n05
Novice
Novice

Post by kr0n05 »

THe concepts are done here are what I came up with:

A frozen torso.

Giant floating ice hammer.

Yeti... with giant hammer.

Ice Cobra.

Ice fox.

Ice wolf.

Ice turtle, t rex, dragon chimera.

Snowman Wizard

Humanoid snowman wizard.

Floating Ice Crystal.

What seems best to do?

imachine
Peon
Peon

Post by imachine »

I like the frozen torso idea, it could wield a giant ice-blade as well, moving about headless, or perhaphs with a head (depends how it would look, you could do both if it's not too much work and get a vote later here for which one is better), scary stuff ;-)

Ice cobras (or any snakes at that, but perhaphs not being 'just' a recolour of our other snake models already available) are definetly cool as well, I can picture it with sparks about it's silky frosty body, and deep blueish diamond-like eyes. Definetly cool!

Ice wolfs and other ice canine/feline creatures seem definetly rank, I like that :)

Ice bats? Ice rats perhaphs? For the weaker players. I'd add that in icy caves. They could breathe ice clouds and what not once we get a spell system up too ;)

Definetly the ice dragon is a nifty idea, but something in the lines of a small flying lizard - dragon hatchling it could be called. Not sure if a big dragon would fit well on the map, since we need proportion - dragons are generally big creatures, they'd have to be about 3-4 player's heights imo.
kr0n05
Novice
Novice

Post by kr0n05 »

I'll start on the frozen torso as soon as I get some free time. :)

Btw, should it be floating, or dragging it self across the floor?

imachine
Peon
Peon

Post by imachine »

I vote floating. humming in mid-air, due to the fact it's built on magic holding it at solid form of water, it also sustains itself on frozen mist... or something like that ;)
;]
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

i'm thinking of ice&snow golem (humanoid) with huge icicle-spiked snowballs for hands...
kr0n05
Novice
Novice

Post by kr0n05 »

imachine wrote:I vote floating. humming in mid-air, due to the fact it's built on magic holding it at solid form of water, it also sustains itself on frozen mist... or something like that ;)
Hmm... I'll get on that.

kr0n05
Novice
Novice

Post by kr0n05 »

Here's the floating torso by itself. At the moment it's just a recolor of the normal person sprite. I am still confused however on how to create the mist, will I do this with an airbrush and then color it like normal? Or will I do some special blur effect?

Btw, should I do something like add ice crystals to it's body?

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/images/1/1 ... gtorso.png
Last edited by kr0n05 on 09 Sep 2007, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.