Suggestion: Player should be able to play a horn

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Suggestion: Player should be able to play a horn

Post by Peacemaker »

After reading The Lord of the Ring in the last three weeks I gathered some ideas for The Mana World. I forgot most of them, so they are surly not important ;). But one of the ideas was that every Region has their own horn sound.

It would be nice if every Region or Kingdom or alternatively the Organisation ( http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Organizations ) in TMW would have a sound for recognition.

Using the horn, plays the horn sound all over the Map (volume should be depending on the distance to other player) and shows an optional message in the chat "<Playername> blews the horn of Tonori in the <N>".

The horn can be used to:
  • get help from other people
  • to indicate the position of ppl who answering using their own horn
  • in PVP to frighten enemys (and reverse)
  • maybe to increase or decrease stats during PVP of friends and enemys.
  • to indicate the ingame-nationality of players (or the founder nationality of guilds)
My proposal in one line: All habitants and guilds of a region/kingdom should have a special sound for recognition which can be played using an item (horn).

(indeed: sound spamming should be prevented. Solutions: a Horn-using-limit? playing the horn costs a bit money? The horn is a one-way-item? ...)
Peacemaker: Level 58 - STR 60+ / AGI 30 / VIT 36 / INT 5 / DEX 20 / LUK 5 - wiped because of inactivity... :(
kr0n05
Novice
Novice

Post by kr0n05 »

I think this is a pretty good idea. I have always thought guilds need a way to distinguish themselves, but the only problem is where will we get [x] amount of sounds? Maybe a recorder built into tmw where you make your own call for the horn?

Ice Monster Development Status: FROZEN
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Post by Peacemaker »

kr0n05 wrote:I think this is a pretty good idea. I have always thought guilds need a way to distinguish themselves, but the only problem is where will we get [x] amount of sounds? Maybe a recorder built into tmw where you make your own call for the horn?
The sound of a guild should not be custom, because I think its too complicated. Of course, custom sounds could be reached by using a few base sounds and a value which modifies the sound during runtime... - But I dont how how to do that...

So, I think:
- Guilds should have the sound of their Region/Kingdom (where they belong to)
- a player should be able to clearly recognize the sounds of kingdoms. (If there are too many sounds it will be hard to assign the sound to a Kingdom...)
Peacemaker: Level 58 - STR 60+ / AGI 30 / VIT 36 / INT 5 / DEX 20 / LUK 5 - wiped because of inactivity... :(
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

While it would be possible to record individual sounds for each guild you would have to get someone who could play them and was willing to do it. I think it would be unwise to let users record their own sounds, as in no time you would have every profanity conceivable being broadcasted all over the game.
What may work better would be a collection of different notes being played on a horn, say a long and short blast of a full octave. Guilds could then chose a short tune based on those sounds, and when a guild call was played the client would just play the individual tones in the right order.
If/when the developers want to do this I could probably get it done pretty rapidly (of course I still haven't finished the new bow sounds :oops: )
-Cosmostrator
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I fear having a different sound for each guild would become uncontrollable very soon. I like the idea of horns a lot and them having different tunes depending on the nation. I still don't know if using them should be only allowed by server controlled beings or expanded to everyone.