Rare Items Problem!

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

blueberry
Novice
Novice

Rare Items Problem!

Post by blueberry »

Hey!

The last few weeks i saved lotsa money to buy rare items for the next player event. Unfortunately most players who have them are in such an high level, that it seems they're to bored to go online everyday...mostly newbies are online the whole time, which have of course no rare items.

So its very hard to find them. I already asked Platyna if there could be a shop for them, and she answered that the developers dont want to pass out any new rare items anymore. Furthermore, what if the players who have rare items only very rarely use their accounts - the items would only belong to them, thats kinda unfair in my opinion too.

But, what shalls...i just asked me if some of you GMs could at least pass out some items for our TheDawn Project - as i read in the forums you devs like the idea -> so why not help us out a little bit; we're all nice ppl (and no kids of course) and dont want to presume your good nature of course.

And if you (like us too) want that the Project TheDawn grows it would be avery nice turn, if you could help us...

Thx so far;

ps: ive just started to make an axe-item-animation, and will make one crossbow-weapon animation too during next week. Hope thats okay for you Wink

Blue

pps: i started this thread in player talk first, was an Error, pls delete :) thx
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I am no gamemaster so I don't really have a say in this matter.

But I don't think that items that are supposed to be rare should be handed out to specific players for free. I respect what the "The Dawn" guys are doing for the community and I would appreciate when there would be more such player initiative, but I am afraid that when rare items are handed out to players who do events people will do events - or even claim to do events but never do them - just to get a grip on rares.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
blueberry
Novice
Novice

Post by blueberry »

But I don't think that items that are supposed to be rare should be handed out to specific players for free.
okay, then selling could solve the problem.
but I am afraid that when rare items are handed out to players who do events people will do events - or even claim to do events but never do them - just to get a grip on rares.
how many player events did exist since youre at the project? None i think, and even there was one the inititators of it got burned out, because theres nothing one could offer to the players.

And finally: Why are you so greedy with the rare items, if this is just a Test-Server and all accounts will be DEL.... oh sorry 'just not converted' :-) [wasnt meant bad]

What happens to rare Items, which are never be used again, because the players just didnt play again? If this goes on, sometime in the future no rare icons will exist...

My mustard...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

As I said I have no say on this topic as I am not responsible for the server administration. So everything I am saying is just my personal opinion and no official statement.

I don't think that Platyna doesn't want to give out any rare items at all. It would be quite useless to have so much content that adds so few to the game. But opening a shop for the currently rare headgears wouldn't be a good idea either because it would declass the rare items and make them common ones. When you could just buy them they wouldn't be something special anymore.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
blueberry
Novice
Novice

Post by blueberry »

As I said I have no say on this topic as I am not responsible for the server administration. So everything I am saying is just my personal opinion and no official statement.
Yes i got you in this point, although you might have some more to say than an normal player...
It would be quite useless to have so much content that adds so few to the game.
Right! So what for does Tmw (in this early state of publishing) need rare Items?Just to make the game-play a bit more exciting? I see no big difference, gameplay will be boring anyway after some weeks of upleveling, because of the few things todo.You might not recognize this[yes i read the wiki, there its mentioned] or forgot it at least; The only thing why users keep playing is the social character of the game: Meet nice ppl from all over the world and talk to them.

I believe, if there were no rare Items anymore, more people who like the game and could test any feature (including rare items and weapons) would like to contribute something to the game, because its quite fun and the final result will be worth the time one spent for it.

As i see that, its now more like a capitalistic market place , where some users have more 'rights' or more chances to test the game like others which divides the players in have and have-nots , and thats the reason why some tmw-users are cheating every day or have other bad ideas like spamming, botting, flooding etc..., because they dont understand this point.If every item is available all the time, its no use for this sorta things...

Think of my point of view for a minute, before you answer!
Last edited by blueberry on 16 Sep 2007, 23:41, edited 3 times in total.
Chaos Ranger
Novice
Novice

Post by Chaos Ranger »

another problem is that most people like myself that have aquired rares have no use for gold so selling them just doesn't make much sense.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

It seems to me that a rare item should be exactly that, rare. If it is impossible to get then it isn't really rare, it's unobtainable.
For some items that may be okay, i.e. hints, but for some of the other useful items it would be neat if they were a rare drop, maybe even from one of the higher level monsters. If players found out that there was a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of getting a pirate hat from desert snakes they would suddenly have a motivation to do so. Would the item still be rare? Yes, but there would be a chance of getting it.
-Cosmostrator
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Cosmostrator wrote:It seems to me that a rare item should be exactly that, rare. If it is impossible to get then it isn't really rare, it's unobtainable.
For some items that may be okay, i.e. hints, but for some of the other useful items it would be neat if they were a rare drop, maybe even from one of the higher level monsters. If players found out that there was a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of getting a pirate hat from desert snakes they would suddenly have a motivation to do so. Would the item still be rare? Yes, but there would be a chance of getting it.
-Cosmostrator
Sounds reasonable, we should probably add some of the "rare" items as "rare" drops of current monsters.
Jonan
Peon
Peon

Post by Jonan »

blueberry wrote:ts now more like a capitalistic market place , where some users have more 'rights' or more chances to test the game like others which divides the players in have and have-nots!
I don't think it's that radical 8)

I find Cosmostrator's idea the best solution. It would make "rare" objects rare :lol:
rtoot3
Peon
Peon

Post by rtoot3 »

blueberry wrote: And finally: Why are you so greedy with the rare items, if this is just a Test-Server and all accounts will be DEL.... oh sorry 'just not converted' :-) [wasnt meant bad]
wait wat! sorry to go off topic but, you mean our charecters wont be converted to the next version of mana world!!!
beware the power of teh chicken. ~:>

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

rtoot3, please read the new server FAQ: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=2461

But note that there will most likely be a version 0.0.24 that still runs on the old server and maybe even a 0.0.25 before we pull the plug of the old server and start a beta test of the new one.
  • NOT a game master

rtoot3
Peon
Peon

Post by rtoot3 »

oh, ok i get it
beware the power of teh chicken. ~:>