[WIP] Bitan

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

[WIP] Bitan

Post by AxlTrozz »

Monster in development...

Well this is the first try of a simple movement, attack with stingers...I did a GIF image to show the movement, please let me know any suggestion and correction

kr0n05
Novice
Novice

Post by kr0n05 »

It looks great, but the center of the body shows no movement when it slings its tail, in real life doesn't a scorpions body thrust left or right depending on the direction the stinger was thrown?

Ice Monster Development Status: FROZEN
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'd let this creature to use it's full body for that torque on the sting. Possibly even when grabbing a hold of the victim with its teeth?
This message used to be meaningful.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I don't know what I'm doing

Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

When the scorpion is moving his tail section forward the rest of his body should probably shift back a little to counterbalance the movement. It may look cool too if his large pincher grabbed on, then he struck at you.
Just some suggestions-
-Cosmostrator
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I think it would be better if it moved its tail more snake way than a scorpion - we already have 3 kinds of scorpions.

Regards.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Gee... those animated GIFs makes these PCs at work show how slow they are.
About the animation; it's a good start. But there are some things. First of all the tail doesn't reach beyond the creature's head. So he's more like dancing then hurting someone.
Secondly, I suppose you meant the tail to reach over the creatures body, with the current shading it looks more as if it reaches along side of it.
Finally, the shape and of the tail change quite a bit during the attack. Maybe the body should curl more and maybe the creature would only have his front two legs and his fangs/pincers/jaws on the ground.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Yuuki
Novice
Novice

Post by Yuuki »

isn't it too flat? ^^,
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

a new version, the difference is now he walk, trap and attack...

edit: I revised a little how the centipeds walk and attack as a model.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The walk cycle would convince me better if the body adopted to the walking.

I really like how the hind legs curl up upon stinging: it really looks like it's putting an effort into the attack. First sign of killing intent in our attack animations so far, AFAIK.

I hope you can bear all the negative feedback and are aware that you can always disagree with us and that will only lead into conversation about the disagreed topic. This applies universally for everyone: Conversation leads into ideas and ideas are required for improvement. Sometimes one needs to try out the bad options too to see why they're bad. Different levels of quality bring perspective into play and potentially justify our decisions about stylistical issues.

I raise my hat for your effort for perfection here. Animating stuff is really hard since the small details make the impression and the whole cannot be sloppily done either. I hope our current spur of pixellation activism would inspire more people into trying.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Rotonen wrote:The walk cycle would convince me better if the body adopted to the walking.
I'll try to create a walking sequence with a less curved body
Rotonen wrote:I really like how the hind legs curl up upon stinging: it really looks like it's putting an effort into the attack. First sign of killing intent in our attack animations so far, AFAIK.
:)
Rotonen wrote:I hope you can bear all the negative feedback and are aware that you can always disagree with us and that will only lead into conversation about the disagreed topic. This applies universally for everyone: Conversation leads into ideas and ideas are required for improvement. Sometimes one needs to try out the bad options too to see why they're bad. Different levels of quality bring perspective into play and potentially justify our decisions about stylistical issues.
I'll try
Rotonen wrote:I raise my hat for your effort for perfection here. Animating stuff is really hard since the small details make the impression and the whole cannot be sloppily done either. I hope our current spur of pixellation activism would inspire more people into trying.
Thank you and I hope so too.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Apart from the body being very static the first segment of the legs doesn't move at all either. I think it would look better if the legs were lifted when moving forward. A bit like this:
It would be great if the body would move in a snake-like motion. Swaying.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

I'll try to create a walking sequence with a less curved body
Yeah, try that. Do it before you start doing the animation of the legs and the tail. So far it's good, so keep up the good work!
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

It's getting really hard but I'm excited about the outcome, I barely finished 4 frames, I think the complete walking sequence is going to take like 10 or more frames so it's going to take some time

Edit: Just 5 frames, not perfect but here you have an idea of what am I trying to do, ignore the legs, main actual focus is in the body

Edit2: Second version with 10 frames, still incomplete

I think is going to take another 3 or 4 frames more.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

It already seems alive. You're on the right track in this process, I'd say.

The staticness of the head disturbs me in this one, you should explore into how it should move in the crawl cycle.