Suggestions: "k-style", "arena 2.0", etc

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

blackrazor
Warrior
Warrior

Suggestions: "k-style", "arena 2.0", etc

Post by blackrazor »

These are some suggestions, from my recent experience in The Mana World.

1) "k-style" refers to the ability to rapidly press keys (or hold them down) in order for the server to think that a weapon is ready to go, more or less constantly. Basically you bypass the weapon interrupts or natural delays.

You "lucked" into this style of play with a programming error, but this is easily the most "fun" part of the training experience as the game currently stands. I'd definately call this more of a feature, than a bug.

Another game, "Gunz the Duel" had a similar experience. With a similar programming error, they also enabled this feature. When they corrected it, there was such a negative player outcry, that they re-implemented it as a feature of the game. It is from this game, that the term "k-style" originated.

K-style makes the game more player-skill based. The player needs to be more "interactive" in a k-style game. Monsters tend to be dangerous and in large numbers, and survival is based more on rapid movements and anticipating which monsters to give priority on a second by second basis. This is much more satisfying than "level-based" systems, where you level so you can squash your opponent, press control-A, and watch the game do all the work for you.

2) I recommend bringing skulls and poison skulls back, but have a few of them spawn in the arena. This will give players a nice motivation to go down there, and compete for the limited resources.

3) I highly recommend reconsidering "clearing the db" as you move from eAthena to your own server. Persistent games are just that .. persistent. Maybe, not everything can map 1:1 on the new system, but please try to bring as much over as possible.

Overall, you'll have an easier time maintaining your community if you are able to preserve some player progress, in spite of your server move.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Thank you for your post, but you should post in the "Suggestion / Feedback" thread.

[Moderator: indeed, moved]
Chaos Ranger
Novice
Novice

Post by Chaos Ranger »

I couldn't agree more with everything you suggested.

I wouldn't even be writing this if there wasn't the "k-style" in this game because I would of droped it after a few days of playing.

Hopefully we will see it go over to the new server, hell they got around to implementing a melee weapon that takes advatage of the "bug" so maybe we will.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Suggestions: "k-style", "arena 2.0",

Post by Crush »

blackrazor wrote:"k-style"
Definite no. Why? Because a skilled programmer can automatize this behavior (I wonder why noone did it yet - the client is open source, after all). And when such a patch becomes public it will again require no player skill at all.

But don't be afraid. The gameplay on the new server will be challenging enough.
2) I recommend bringing skulls and poison skulls back, but have a few of them spawn in the arena. This will give players a nice motivation to go down there, and compete for the limited resources.
we got a very sporadic development of graveyard tiles at the moment. When we got enough we will release a graveyard map with the skulls. You will also see the skulls again during the halloween event when everything goes as planned.
3) I highly recommend reconsidering "clearing the db" as you move from eAthena to your own server. Persistent games are just that .. persistent. Maybe, not everything can map 1:1 on the new system, but please try to bring as much over as possible.
You mean converting the names? Because more information can't really be converted into the new system.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I toootally agree with Crushy here.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Arenlor
Peon
Peon

My two cents

Post by Arenlor »

I'm not sure what k-style is referring to, if it means how you don't have to press ctrl and you can just hold it down, that is sort of making it boring, the game is too repetitive at least for me at such a low level.

Clearing the db is a good feature for such a move, it allows new people to fit in and it divides those who play well from those who have played long, just because someone has played longer and has a higher level because of that does not mean they're a better player. But please do carry over character names so no one can snipe them and be a jackass. Pardon the language but I know no better word that is "clean"