FreeArtFoundation.org

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

benjamin
Peon
Peon

FreeArtFoundation.org

Post by benjamin »

I don't want to sound like I'm advertising, but I run the Free Art Foundation, a relatively small but growing repository for MIT (and similar) licensed graphics, music, sounds, stories, and so forth.

the LessShift project is a FreeArtFoundation.org project, and we're starting to get some artists together. we'd be glad to give you any of the art we make. (-: I want to get together with other similar projects and increase the speed at which art is added to the server. (we've got 750GB, and we wanna use it, hehe)

I wonder, though, how's your art licensed? is it licensed GPL, too?

thanks!
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

GPL is not always best licence for art. but i really dont know how is artwork licensed in TMW.
PlaneShift have own licence for artwork another for sources (GPL), i think we should also think about it.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Our art is also under GPL, we don't want to impose any restrictions other than the ones necessary to prevent others from imposing restrictions on the use of our art or an extended set of it.
benjamin
Peon
Peon

Post by benjamin »

I'm glad to hear that, Bjørn. GPL is a little tricky when it comes to art, because of the slightly confusing definition of the source code for the art. strangely, we find artists are more receptive to donating MIT-licensed art. I thought they'd be reluctant.

in any case, MIT is compatible with GPL, so if we come up with art, you can easily import it as GPL. I'll give you links soon. (I'm trying to organize the mess, currently)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I've actually been browsing your repository occasionally ever since it was launched to scout for artists.. ;) But now that you're shown interest towards us, this has become easier. :)
benjamin
Peon
Peon

Post by benjamin »

you're probably thinking of Creative Commons, VCL, or something like that. we don't have a browseable repository yet. the artists simply have virtual hosts on the FreeArtFoundation.org domain and loads and loads of space.

however, we are indeed starting to get some good art flowing in, and I think we're getting close to the point where we'll be setting up a browseable upload/download system.

one thing I'd like to do, if possible, is add the TMW art to the system. I'm on a little bit of a scavenger hunt, looking up projects that have free art and cataloging and categorizing it. that should make it quick and easy for new projects to get some good art to start with, even if they plan to replace it later...
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Sorry about the confusion, trusted my memory too much and didn't realize that there were multiple repos like this... :)
benjamin
Peon
Peon

Post by benjamin »

as far as I can tell, ours is the only truly free repository. the others I've seen all allow "free to look at, not free to use" art or art that you may have but not redistribute. they generally also have public content, but they aren't as strict about the licensing as we are. that's probably why we had such a tough time starting out. it was hard to convince artists to give up their work in a way that others may use, modify, and even sell it.
benjamin
Peon
Peon

Updating my old info

Post by benjamin »

For anyone who had watched the messy development at http://www.freeartfoundation.org because of this post, I want to note a recent change.

The Free Art Foundation experienced an unfortunate hardware failure after a period of low activity and lost the newer art that was being actively developed, so I took this opportunity to restart it using TikiWiki, thereby automating the registration, uploading, distribution, peer-reviewing, and peer-editing of art.

Just thought I'd post an update on the forums here...and also try to pick TMW back up. I've really been spending much too much time working and need to allocate myself some spare time every day.
perbiu
Peon
Peon

Post by perbiu »

Unable to connect to the database !
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

What is wrong? im using Ubuntu, can't connect to freeartfoundation.
benjamin
Peon
Peon

Post by benjamin »

oops, how embarrassing! I forgot to add MySQL to the runlevel and so it didn't restart when I did a test of the server's recovery systems.

it should be up now. thanks!
Arenlor
Peon
Peon

Post by Arenlor »

benjamin wrote:oops, how embarrassing! I forgot to add MySQL to the runlevel and so it didn't restart when I did a test of the server's recovery systems.

it should be up now. thanks!
AKA the test failed :P
~~~~
Feel free to contact me.
benjamin
Peon
Peon

Post by benjamin »

In the words of the physicist Julius Sumner Miller, "The test did not fail. It simply taught us more than we expected."

another of his quotes is, "As you see, the jar is empty...Correction, it is filled with air." apply said quote to my cranium. :roll:
benjamin
Peon
Peon

Post by benjamin »

May I add the art from The Mana World to the FreeArtFoundation.org repository? Would that be alright with The Mana World team?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Is there a way to stop you? It is GPL licensed, after all. It would be nice to credit us, though.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.