help

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Hommer
Warrior
Warrior

help

Post by Hommer »

Would an admin please get on to moderate ppl killing the pumpkin boss from the Halloween quest. I'm waiting to do it, and there are about 10 ppl sitting there, stealing the items when they drop so i can't do it atm. Admin please help.
D2ARCHER
Novice
Novice

Post by D2ARCHER »

need put X-Trap or Game Guard(i call it Gay Guard =P)
no more hacks or bots =)
D2ARCHER
7X Lvl Archer And Counting

D2MAXIMOS
XX Lvl AK Hibrid Stopped at moment ^^
Hommer
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Hommer »

summoned mine, when there was only like 5 other ppl there, and it dropped pirate hat, v neck sweater, pumpkin hat. and i didn't get any of it lol. O well i can always wait till next year.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

D2ARCHER wrote:need put X-Trap or Game Guard(i call it Gay Guard =P)
no more hacks or bots =)
Are you serious about that? If you are I could tell you some reasons why this is impossible for TMW.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
D2ARCHER
Novice
Novice

Post by D2ARCHER »

sry crush, but make something to stop these Duck retards...
D2ARCHER
7X Lvl Archer And Counting

D2MAXIMOS
XX Lvl AK Hibrid Stopped at moment ^^
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

D2ARCHER wrote:sry crush, but make something to stop these Duck retards...
You know there are several people who suggested to kick/ban people for swearing?
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Arenlor
Peon
Peon

Post by Arenlor »

Modanung wrote:
D2ARCHER wrote:sry crush, but make something to stop these Duck retards...
You know there are several people who suggested to kick/ban people for swearing?
Good suggestion if I may so myself!
~~~~
Feel free to contact me.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This is why client-sided anti cheat tools are no option for TMW:
  • The job of anti cheat tools is to ensure that the executable is identical to the reference executable. But users of TMW are encouraged to compile the TMW executable themself. Depending on the used compiler, the compiler settings and the used libraries the compiled executable can look very differently on different systems.
  • TMW is Open Source. We don't prohibit the users to modify TMW. We even encourage them to do so. Making it mandatory to play on the official server with an unchanged version of TMW would undermine this intention.
  • When you can cheat in an online game (I am defining "cheating" as being able to do something you aren't supposed to be able to do by modifying your client) it is usually because of a design weakness in the network protocol. The proper way of dealing with this is by fixing said design weakness and not by trying to prevent the user from abusing it. And as you all should know we don't spend time on fixing eAthena bugs. Our time is much better spend on developing a network code for the new server that is not affected by any exploitable design weaknesses.
  • When users automatize tasks in a game (by using macros or bots) it is a sign that said part of the game is not enjoyable to them. The best way to deal with this problem is by making said task more interesting so that players don't want to automatize it in the first place. Preferably by making it more complex so that it isn't trivial to write a program that does it better than a human.
  • And the most important reason: The programs mentioned by D2ARCHER cost money. TMW is a no-budget project. We can't pay for 3rd party software. Nor do we want to, because we believe in the principles of free software.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Blamoo
Novice
Novice

Post by Blamoo »

Game Vindicator is a good and free anti-cheat software...
http://gamevindicator.com
Hommer
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Hommer »

You could always just program it that, when an item drops from a monster it can only be picked up by the player who killed it for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds its free game. Would end all looting.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Hommer wrote:You could always just program it that, when an item drops from a monster it can only be picked up by the player who killed it for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds its free game. Would end all looting.
Those are server-side anti-cheat features. Any client-side prevention isn't really good soulution because sources of TMW are open. Everyone can modify them. The only soulution is well designed network protocol and server-sided time restrictions, for example 30sec item pickup ownership. Anyway we are glad to see that people modify tmw client, even purpose of this modifications is cheating. Doing that most of them are learning how the client works, maybe in near future they become client programers.

Consider that TMW is still in early fase, cheating can't be prohibited as long we use eAthena's (in fact Ragnarok Online) protocol. To be honest... this protocol is one of the worst protocols I ever seen. I spend a lot of time making porings to drop plate mails :)
Blamoo
Novice
Novice

Re: help

Post by Blamoo »

Hommer wrote:Would an admin please get on to moderate ppl killing the pumpkin boss from the Halloween quest. I'm waiting to do it, and there are about 10 ppl sitting there, stealing the items when they drop so i can't do it atm. Admin please help.
suggestion:
make a npc that says "i'll send you to the boss map"(or something else) and allow 1 character in the map only.

Code: Select all

{
mes "i'll send you to the event map";
next;
if (getmapusers("event map") == 1) goto FULL;
warp "event map",x,y;
close;

FULL:
mes "you can't enter now. someone else is there";
close;
}
Hommer
Warrior
Warrior

Re: help

Post by Hommer »

Blamoo wrote:
Hommer wrote:Would an admin please get on to moderate ppl killing the pumpkin boss from the Halloween quest. I'm waiting to do it, and there are about 10 ppl sitting there, stealing the items when they drop so i can't do it atm. Admin please help.
suggestion:
make a npc that says "i'll send you to the boss map"(or something else) and allow 1 character in the map only.

Code: Select all

{
mes "i'll send you to the event map";
next;
if (getmapusers("event map") == 1) goto FULL;
warp "event map",x,y;
close;

FULL:
mes "you can't enter now. someone else is there";
close;
}
That code wouldnt work. I believe we are using c++ right. you would have to add

"i'll send you to the event map";
end if (getmapusers("event map") <0;
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The code would work, Hommer. It is an eAthena script - the scripting language the current server uses.

We thought about using a boss warp concept like that while planning the quest but we wanted users to be able to fight it together.
  • NOT a game master

Hommer
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Hommer »

ahhh, my fault.