Problems with particle engine?

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Problems with particle engine?

Post by 5t3v3 »

If I roam the spider-cave to long, the flames from the torches sometimes go out. Strangest thing is, they seem to die out slowly. First they diminish in size, then they give some small flickering now and then, and finally they are completely gone. Exit and re-entry or log off and in again solves it.
(running on ubuntu 7.10 got ATI RV350)
It doesn't really bother me, so I'm not complaining, just thought you might wanna know. Anyway, for new server there will be a different particle engine anyway right?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Problems with particle engine?

Post by Crush »

That's because of a bug in the particle engine. The "falling numbers" particles are not deleted and add up to the maximum number of particles on the map. So the torches have not enough particles left to spawn new particles properly. But this bug is already fixed in the current developer version.
Anyway, for new server there will be a different particle engine anyway right?
No. The particle engine is completely client-sided. So why would we replace it?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.