Character sprites

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Mm...C&C. Cool.

Allright, I've fixed the legs issue, the sideways-motion issue was a mistake anyway, so that can be dropped (thinking about it, people don't really sway side-to-side much at all when walking, it's mostly when running--my brain kinda stops working after 4:00am), and the hands will look better once there's shading.

Next up, I'll put together a fully shaded, 6-frame version with all the fixes I just mentioned. I should have it up in a few days.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

No fully-shaded version as yet, but I thought I'd put up what the animation looks like in six frames, with the sideways motion and leg problems fixed. For some reason, ImageReady didn't have a problem with transparency this time, so you actually get to see what the frames really look like.

sprite: Image
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Well I think this looks much better. I'm still missing the shading on the legs so that you can make out his knees move, but as you said it's not fully shaded yet.

One note. Becareful not to make the walk too slow. In the animation above the player walks painfully slow, in the game the player would walk a lot faster. So his steps can't be too small or it would look unrealistic with his legs moving very fast. Anyway, just try increasing the speed to like twice as fast and see if it still looks ok.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

For example like this (x2): Image

When the legs themselves do more movement, then for the walk speed to be sufficient the animation can be played back slower.
Last edited by Bjørn on 08 Mar 2005, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Cool. Speed is easy enough to adjust, so that's not an issue. I just slowed it down because the initial animation that was generated was somewhat comically fast.

So, time for shading...hoo...gonna take a while.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Talaroc wrote:Cool. Speed is easy enough to adjust, so that's not an issue. I just slowed it down because the initial animation that was generated was somewhat comically fast.
Yes the animation speed is easy to adjust, but that's not what I was talking about directly. I was trying to say you should be careful not to draw the animation while playing it at a slow rate (like the rate you posted), because the animation will look different (maybe even silly) when played at other speeds. That's why I posted the x2 speed, which in my opinion starts to look like a fast funny small-step walk.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Gotcha. Well, truth be told, I took the foot positions directly from the previous graphic, but I'll keep that in mind.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Ok, here we go.

Six frame, shaded walking animation. On the left it's playing with an interframe delay of 0.1sec, on the right is 0.2sec (the "painfully slow" speed from before). Below them is the six-frame animation that I based it off of for comparison. Gimme C&C, and if it's good I'll get going on the side and upward animations.

sprites: Image Image

old sprite: Image
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

hmm when you post your images could you please resize them ?? well i dun want to use gnopernikus everytime i want to enjoy some new art ;)

well i see the sprite is going bette and better ^^
go ! make it perfekt :D
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Um...so far as I've been made aware, what I'm posting is actual (in-game) size. If it's not, I have to re-do everything, so I really hope it is.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Talaroc, I like the slowest version, still there's something to improve in the legs.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

You need more definition in the knees, I think. That will make the legs look correct. The legs need to go up just a bit higher for the step, to make it look more like a walk than a shuffle. Try that and see if it doesn't help at all. I'd like to assign Zat to start working on clothing (he expressed an interest in this) so let me know as soon as you have a complete version. Thanks.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

It's complete as soon as the devs think it's complete. Latest version, adding definition to the knees and a slightly higher step (as well as a bit of a more realistic foot shape in two of the frames):

sprite: Image
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Yeah better improve the feet and please try to add pants or something else, it looks a bit weird completely naked
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

yeah this is in game size .. but i would like to see it bigger here .. simply stretch the image
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)