What happened to unlimited arrows?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Wyatt
Peon
Peon

What happened to unlimited arrows?

Post by Wyatt »

There used to be unlimited arrows on the game, meaning if you bought 1 arrow it would last you forever. Now whenever I play I actually have to buy a large number of arrows because I run out. It wasn't like this until today.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

That the arrows didn't decrease was a bug that was fixed today. Did you really thought it was supposed to be that way?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
bigglesworth
Novice
Novice

Post by bigglesworth »

Crush wrote:That the arrows didn't decrease was a bug that was fixed today. Did you really thought it was supposed to be that way?
Is the maximum count of arrows carried limited only by weight?
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Yes.

BTW, if you are an "archer" you should have made fewer damage with your "unlimited arrows" cause DEX didn't increase the bow damage anymore.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Magic Arrows, I like the idea, but you would need a Magic Bow and the side effect is that from time to time can hit back to you so you can receive some damage. :wink:
Wyatt
Peon
Peon

Post by Wyatt »

Crush wrote:That the arrows didn't decrease was a bug that was fixed today. Did you really thought it was supposed to be that way?
Yes, and as a matter of fact I thought it was better and unique to not make the players constantly have to buy more arrows. Remember Zelda? The NES version...same concept.
Holy
Novice
Novice

Post by Holy »

I was thinking that maybe there could be a bow that had unlimited arrow supply, where you don't need to equip any kind of arrows because it can shoot its own kind of arrows. This bow of course would need to have a negative effect to it, so it could be that the bow (after using it over time) wears down and would eventually need to be repaired for a sum of gold (probably a kind of expensive sum) and it would be as good as new once repaired. This will save people from having to go buy more arrows every 20 minutes but will still have a negative effect on them.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

A ranged weapon that does not consume arrows is currently possible. But that one would have to be based on Str, not on Dex.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

How about the method used by the original Legend of Zelda, where each shot costs some gold? If we make that cost the same as the cost of an arrow, it wouldn't be too much different from, how it is now.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

How do you want to explain this?

Do you use coins as your arrow tips?
Is there a little shopkeeper in your quiver who charges you for every arrow you take out of it?
  • NOT a game master

Mana Trance
Peon
Peon

Post by Mana Trance »

I support limited ammunition, as long as bows are not the sole weapon of any particular class.

World of Warcraft handles this by giving every player a ranged weapon slot and a melee weapon slot. That allows the player to have both weapon types available at all times.
deviantArt's Angelic Remix
and
Co-Founder of Silver Gryphon Games
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Crush wrote:How do you want to explain this?

Is there a little shopkeeper in your quiver who charges you for every arrow you take out of it?
I like this idea, you buy as you use, no money no arrows...but never bother buying arrows again, just get money, also the weight could be static (I mean The weight of the arrows it would be constant because there is not 9k or 7k arrows in your back) :)
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

Crush wrote: Do you use coins as your arrow tips?
you take out of it?
I'm pretty sure this is exactly how Legend of Zelda explained it originally. Of course their money was rupees, with sharp points.
-Cosmostrator
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:How do you want to explain this?

I mean for like a magic bow.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I notice that there are coin bags in the game to allow you to carry more coins. We could do that for arrows as well using quivers, with a magic quiver that has an "unlimited" number of arrows that deducts some gold when you use an arrow from it.