How to play around with TMW resource files

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

How to play around with TMW resource files

Post by Crush »

When you downloaded TMW as a prepacked install packet for your operating system it comes without most of the graphics, maps and so on. These are downloaded at the first start by the updater. Here I will explain you how to get these files so you can play around with them, customize TMW and maybe contribute to the development.

Method A: Unpack the updates
To use this method you just need a program that can unpack zip archives and no other tools. But you won't get the most recent development versions of the resource files but only those that have been released to the general public.

1. Update the mana world
Start tmw and let an updater run to ensure that you got the newest updates.

2. Locate the updates
The updates are stored in your user directory. For users of UNIX-like operating systems this should be usr/home/*your_username*/.mana/updates/updates.themanaworld.org. Windows users find their user directory in C:\Documents and Settings\*your_username*\AppData\Local\mana\updates\updates.themanaworld.org
("Documents and Settings" is called different on different language versions of windows and the appdata directory is hidden by default)

There you find all the updates you downloaded since you first installed tmw. When you are a long-time player, most of them will be obsolete. You can find a list of the updates that are actually used in the file resources.xml.

3. Unpack the updates
Unpack the zip archives listed in resources.xml into the subfolder "data" of your tmw installation (When there are any zip archives not listed in resources.xml in your update folder don't unpack those. They contain outdated files that have been replaced by later updates).

4. Tell TMW to ignore the updates and use the files in the data directory
To do so you have to start tmw with the additional command line parameter -u

Windows users can right-click on the tmw shortcut on their desktop and select Properties. In the field Target you find the path to your tmw executable in quotation marks. Add -u behind the quotation marks. It should now read something like that:
"D:\Programs\The Mana World\tmw.exe" -u

Method B: Use Git to get the latest developer versions of all files
This method should be prefered over the other because you will receive the most recent development versions of the files. But it requires you to install a new program.

1. Install Git
Git is a distributed, commandline-based sourcecode management tool which makes it easy to work with many people on a software project.
Most linux distributions should have Git in their packet management systems.
A windows version can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list

2. "clone" the git repository.
Open your command shell, browse to the directory where you would like to have the files and enter:
git clone git://gitorious.org/tmw/tmwa-client-data.git tmwdata
This will create a new folder "tmwdata" and download all the files here.

3. Tell TMW to ignore the updates and use the files in your new directory
To do so you have to start tmw with the additional command line parameters -u -d path/to/your/data/folder

Windows users can right-click on the tmw shortcut on their desktop and select Properties. In the field Target you find the path to your tmw executable in quotation marks. Add -u -d behind the quotation marks followed the folder where you cloned the git repository. It should now read something like that:
"D:\programs\The Mana World\tmw.exe" -u -d D:\tmw\data

4. Update the repository from time to time
To synchronize your local repository with the newest develpmont changes open your command shell, navigate to your tmw data folder and type:
git stash
git pull
git stash apply
You can skip stash and stash apply when you didn't change any files.

Now you can edit or replace all resource files of TMW like maps, graphics, sounds and the changes will be visible in the game. You can also change what file is used for what to some extend by editing the xml files in the data directory.

Happy Hacking

Too lazy to do all this just to get one file?
You can also browse the content repository online:
http://gitorious.org/tmw/tmwa-client-data/trees/master
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

Their is no folder in my users/*name*/ directory...
and nothing comes up when I search for stuff.

I am using leopard but their should be no problem apple did not change directory paths.
Status_Lock
Peon
Peon

Post by Status_Lock »

Well i don't expect you to know what to do, unless you have a Mac yourself (ugh, damn computer) I guess the question i'm asking is, how do i unpack the files? I'm sure this would've been easier if there was a "resources2.txt" file, but i happen to not be able to find it.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

The user folder for TMW is hidden in OSX. To see it you have to make hidden files visible.
Open the application Terminal and enter the following code

Code: Select all

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder 
The open your home folder and look for the folder called .TMW

When you are done you can re-hide hidden files by putting the following code into Terminal

Code: Select all

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder
Hope this helps-
-Cosmostrator
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Or you can just use xterm and command line on OSX :p
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

I have a mac....
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Re: How to play around with TMW resource files

Post by Vink »

I think I found another way to do it, and then you don't need to run tmw with -u, I believe:

1. Find the zipfile with the file you wish to edit.
2. Unpack it to somewhere convenient..
3. Edit the file according to your wishes.
4. Make a new zipfile and give it the same name as the original zipfile.
5. Replace the original zipfile with the one with your edited file.

Since I'm not used to these things, I assume there must be some problem with this method? Please tell me. :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The problem with this is that the updater will realize that the checksum of the update is wrong, assume that it is corrupted and redownload it.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Hm... Then why did it work when I tried it? :?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Did you cancle the updater before it finished?
  • NOT a game master

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

He used the "-u" option which bypasses the updater.
Hexico
Peon
Peon

Post by Hexico »

So.. hm. If I wanted to play around with this, would I just download another client? And try to keep this one seperate from the one I currently use?

I'm interested in just changing the graphics around a little bit so I can wear custom hats and such.. Even if no one else can see it..
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

No, I don't think I cancelled, and I don't think I used -u.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The preferred way is to use the customData directory.
passipoliisi
Peon
Peon

Post by passipoliisi »

How can i put the updates to a localhost server??