Elemental Planes

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Falcata
Novice
Novice

Elemental Planes

Post by Falcata »

Well, I've finished a proposal for "Elemental Planes", which are parallel dimensions that reflect the Mana World, but with one element expressed above all the others. For those who are interested, you can read the proposal here.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Quite incompatible to everything else we planned. I would suggest you to take a look at the other concepts on the wiki before you start your own.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

So, should I rework the proposal so that it is compatible with everything else, or is it the concept of parallel dimensions that makes it incompatible?
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I think its the parallel dimensions thats incompatible. But with a slight twist (mostly to the origins of the planes), I think it would work. While trapped in the crystals, the Spirit/Gods Tried their hands at creation again, but this time separately. Within each crystal a new world was created, made entirely out of a single element (the element of the spirit in the crystal). When the crystals shattered, The planes escaped with the Gods, causing the damage to the landscape. As they continued to spread (away from the world) and encountered each other, the other four planes were created and the original planes were altered so they each had some of the other elements in them, but were mostly their original element.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

That seems like a pretty good idea. I'll add that in, but I'll remove the part where they are reflections of the material plane, since that idea might make them harder to implement.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Falcata wrote:... but I'll remove the part where they are reflections of the material plane, since that idea might make them harder to implement.
I never really liked that part of it. Each plane having a unique geography is more realistic, especially with this new creation.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Yeah. The reflection would be done by taking the same maps of the Mana World, but switching out the tilesets. This would be a real headache for the graphic artists, getting all the tiles to match up correctly.

Removing the reflection feature would give the planes much more variety, and more freedom to design an interesting environment.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Well, I've put up a newer version of the Elemental Planes proposal. It isn't complete yet, but hopefully there are less problems with it. I'm thinking the effect that the Plane of Water has on some spells might be problematic, so I might just remove it later.

Any suggestions or comments on how to improve it?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Want an honest answer?

I would suggest you to forget about this whole "alternative dimensions" idea and see if you can use your ideas to enrich any of the geographical locations we have chosen to be the focus of the various element.

See http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Geography for an overview over the planned world geography. The Ancean isles are the water-property area. The fire-property area is Gispaa in the Tonori area. The kingdom of air is above the clouds and the kingdom of earth underground. The sub-elements will also receive their places in the world.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Yeah, whatever. If you had said that in your first post, then I wouldn't have wasted my time and energy on this.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I thought I did.
  • NOT a game master

Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

I suppose you did, but you weren't clear enough.