Death penalty ...

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

zick
Novice
Novice

Death penalty ...

Post by zick »

I just started this thread to see what people's take is on the death penalty. I prefer realistic, as in once you die that character is dead for good. Some people just like starting at the last town they visited minus a percentage of the gold/exp the gained over the course of their last life. How about a compromise? Realistic but there are some ways to be resurrected, like having a lucky charm that is obsolete after it brings you back to life in the last town you visited. Or your characters stats are stored on the server and can be re-animated into a newly created character when you take that character to special wiseman. What if your last characters stats errode over the time that it takes you to find said wiseman?

Also if you have a realistic death penalty you can implement some kind of system in which there is a chance that a random item from your equipment/inventory becomes spoil to anyone upon your death.

DISCUSS !!!
Hommer
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Hommer »

Why would you die forever?
Join us in Holy Mana and become Strong.

http://www.freewebs.com/holymanaclan
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Hommer wrote:Why would you die forever?
Its death :twisted:

I must disagree with this kind of death penalty, however much it might spice things up. It might be nice to make it a choice like hardcore in Diablo 2 and we can give those players added benefits for the risk.
Examples
  • Items that only they can use.

PVP vs another hardcore player winner takes all of the items the loser had on.

Access to a unique dungeon.
Pixel Battalion
twilight
Peon
Peon

Post by twilight »

I'm not to very fond of this idea of dying forever.

I like to think of dying in MMORPGs like your character was knocked unconscious, and somehow, by whatever means it was, was carried back to the spawn point. Maybe everyone in TMW has protection from some divine being like, say, the Mana Goddess for example. Of course we can't rip other games so it can't be the Mana Goddess, but it could be something like that. But our divine being saves us when we're knocked unconscious right before death and sends us back to a safe zone.

We're going to havemagic in game one day right? So a divine being has to be in place at some point. This seems to me a logical thing....

I just don't agree with the we die forever thing. That's my opinion though, and I'm just a single soul.
Characters:
Twilight - Main
lvl 5x Hybrid Close/Range
Geshtar - Alt
lvl 3x Pure Range
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

I agree with Twilight.
Eliott
Peon
Peon

Post by Eliott »

it's a good idea but it necessary that it be only to the players lvl 30 or more

otherwise noob will never level up
it would be boring..
th¦$_¦$_m¥_DARK_$¦de
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

We are already pretty sure how to handle dying on the new server. When you die you will be teleported to the land of the dead. You will be able to get back into the world of the living by finding your way through a constantly changing labyrinth.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote:We are already pretty sure how to handle dying on the new server. When you die you will be teleported to the land of the dead. You will be able to get back into the world of the living by finding your way through a constantly changing labyrinth.
I've seen this before in planeshif (they have an extremely uptight community)
Pixel Battalion
twilight
Peon
Peon

Post by twilight »

Crush wrote:We are already pretty sure how to handle dying on the new server. When you die you will be teleported to the land of the dead. You will be able to get back into the world of the living by finding your way through a constantly changing labyrinth.
Now that sounds interesting. :D
Characters:
Twilight - Main
lvl 5x Hybrid Close/Range
Geshtar - Alt
lvl 3x Pure Range
Eliott
Peon
Peon

Post by Eliott »

what will happen if we die in this labyrinth ?
th¦$_¦$_m¥_DARK_$¦de
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

the labyrinth is an interesting idea ... i was thinking in my death penalty idea that dying forever doesn't apply to pvp and every character starts with a magic charm that will resurrect them, but the whole idea is baby steps. work your way slowly.

hey crush, an idea for the labyrinth. what if that wiseman i mentioned is he keeper of the land of the dead and if you find him on your way through the maze, there would be no death penalty (percentage of exp/gp) or maybe he's the one who actually lets you out (instead of just a magic door or staircase or escalator or whatever) and the longer you take to find him the harsher your death penalty (it'll be like 1% per hour or something)
Eliott
Peon
Peon

Post by Eliott »

yeah ! but you should put a map of the labyrinth
th¦$_¦$_m¥_DARK_$¦de
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Eliott wrote:what will happen if we die in this labyrinth ?
You can't die in the afterlife. You are already dead, after all.
hey crush, an idea for the labyrinth. what if that wiseman i mentioned is he keeper of the land of the dead and if you find him on your way through the maze, there would be no death penalty (percentage of exp/gp) or maybe he's the one who actually lets you out (instead of just a magic door or staircase or escalator or whatever) and the longer you take to find him the harsher your death penalty (it'll be like 1% per hour or something)
We planned to put multiple exits in the labyrinth and depending on which one you use the death penalty will be much or less harsh.
Eliott wrote:yeah ! but you should put a map of the labyrinth
Would make it too easy.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Eliott
Peon
Peon

Post by Eliott »

ok

will it be able to meet other death players ?
th¦$_¦$_m¥_DARK_$¦de
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Since the labyrinth won't have a map, I assume it will be like the Lost Woods in Zelda games (where each room looks alike and there are paths leading out of every room in all directions)?