Player Classes?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

That's easy enough to implement. Let me know once you define all the kingdoms and we can come up with some kingdom specific gear.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

They had this a bit in Morrowind where you could get the gear of the guards in a certain area, but you couldn't walk around in it in that same area with this gear because the guards would attack you because you of course were no guard and are not supposed to walk around there pretending you are.

I like the idea of area specific gear, but thought should be given to the way in which we can disallow players to wear clothes from another kingdom that they're not supposed to wear. Because of course, eventually some gear will "go missing". ;-)
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Not a bad idea. Rotonen is pushing for a sort of political system that will work hand in hand with PvP and give players a chance to decide the fate of their various states. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it becomes :D
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
imorgado
Novice
Novice

Post by imorgado »

I don't think thar player level and class should be fine.

I prefer a more free character evolution. We can do everything

Freedom when talking about

Clothes - we should be able to user every kind of clother / armor (strenth should be a pre-requisite for heavy armos)
Weapon use - We should be able to use every kind of weapon (strength/dextery/weapon skill should be pre-requisite for more complex/heavy wapons)
Skills learning - We should learn evey thing, just use and learn, more uses more knownledge you gather.
No classes - You build is unique, you're not a mage not a priest not an archer. You're a human that cast white spells and use a bow.

About prestige classes:

Just an Idea: Players should be able to join World Guilds, I can join to mage guild and I will be allowed to use secret spells (I'm a mage). To join to guild you should do an quest, should have some skill pre-requisites (as 70 in magic abilities, know more then 20 spells).

The player cannot join to more than one guild. Leaving guild the player will lose the beneficies (the spellbook is returned to guild, in example above)

but my vote goes. Freedom of classes.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

I've posted some player class descriptions on the Wiki. If everyone could take a look at them and give me some feed back I would appreciate it:

Job System

from here, you can also find a link to the job master list, which I would like some help expanding with new categories. Don't forget, not all jobs are combat related. We should have a guild that offers jobs that improve crafting (especially the rate at which you collect crafting items from monsters and stores).

Anyway, nothing's permanent yet, but we need to get our feet on the ground so we can start moving forward with the other aspects of gameplay.

Thanks for your input :D
View the Systems
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

My thoughts on the job system as it appears on the Wiki:

I like the vast majority of it. Nicely open-ended, and allows for a great deal more flexibility than most. I would. however, question the changing skill growth rates. It seems to me that that would be working entirely against any sort of character specialization; a player would become a warrior and enjoy that growth bonus until they're at a certain level (not long, at double skill growth), then do the same thing as a mage, then the same as an adept...if such rate changes were to be implimented, I'd like to see them reduced; 1.1x rather than 2x, 0.9x rather than 0.5x, that sort of thing. I don't know about you, but my RL skills don't get better faster simply because I have a certain job, they get better faster through use. A degree of skill is obtained through training, but I think double is a bit excessive. Perhaps, in it's place, there could be designated "training areas" of the various guilds, where the players could train the relevant skills at an increased rate--but make those places boring (emulate real job training... :wink: ), so they're less likely to be abused.

As for the jobs themselves--what about adding a fourth level 3 job in each, and making it a "tree" setup? A player comes in at job level 1, then goes to their choice of the two second level jobs, then gets their choice of the two third level jobs that branch from that second level job. This is, again, to encourage character specialization (which in turn increases character diversity, making the game more interesting), and more closely mimics the real world.

The job master list will of course need to be expanded (and, as specific skills and spells are generated, made more specific), but let me just say, thank you for not having rogues/theives level into ninjas. That stupid arrangement appears in far too many video games.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

yeah, I think you have a point about the growth rates.
I think we might want to enforce some limit on job changing, but I'm not totally sure about it. I imagined that level cuts and bonuses (ie: fighters get to fight as though they had 120% of their actual combat skill level, but only 75% of their actual magic level) would help to make no player an all-around powerhouse.

Also, I like the idea of training areas in the guilds. Perhaps they would have training equipment (immortal targets and such) or have rooms where you can spar with other players (PvP without death).

I was thinking of including an extra job so that rouges/thieves can level into ninjas... :shock:

ok, ok, just kidding. :D
View the Systems
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Bear »

OK, im not saying everything is bad, but the more we discuss anything on this forums... it seems like everything is going twords a Private RO server -_-
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

What exactly do you mean? We're looking at having a jobs system, yes, but one that's vastly different from RO's, which is more of a rigid class system with advancement than a true "jobs" system. Major distinction: in RO, you're defined by your job. Under this system, you're defined by your stats, and jobs are secondary.

I'd actually posit that the more we talk, the further away from games like RO we're going. The systems that are in current development are far more expansive and dynamic than those of other games, and they keep on getting more so.
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

I suggested this in another part of the forum...a person class depends on wha t skills he picks. More of strengh means more of a warrior more of magick means more of a magician or sorcerer etc. If a player pics say a health type skills and warrior he could become a paladin or cleric. If a person picks strengh and magick alot then they would become some kind of warrior/magician..not sure on the name. As they progress and pic diffrent skills more there could be more classes such as Dark knight and other things. This gives the people the chance to have multiple classes and gives them something to work at getting another class. The skill points and requirements for a ceartin class could be posted on the site so it gives the player a chance to look at what skills he needs to level up in to get the class he wants. Cya

~Magick~
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

dsf

Post by Bear »

Im sorry, i was typing in the wrong box, i meant to say *wouldnt it be a little complicated to do this thru scripting / for players in general.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Magick: You mean the dynamic title system? Yeah, I agree with using that, but I also want to see the jobs system implemented. They're not mutually exclusive, especially as dynamic titles don't really influence gameplay, they just give you a way to define what character type you've got.
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

Yes i agree....we could have a npc that gives a job type thing...or when you start out the game you choose what you want to be and if you want to change it you can talk to a npc and if u have the required skill you can change.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Jobs are defined by the guilds at present. Take a look at:
http://themanaworld.sourceforge.net/wiki/?GuildSystem

This way, players have an infinite number of jobs at their disposal.
View the Systems
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Re: dsf

Post by Bjørn »

Bear wrote:Im sorry, i was typing in the wrong box, i meant to say *wouldnt it be a little complicated to do this thru scripting / for players in general.
Just to clarify, all the discussion about new game systems applies to a server we mean to write ourselves, and by no means are we planning to script this into eAthena.