Death penalty ...

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Eliott wrote:ok

will it be able to meet other death players ?
Yes.
jaxad0127 wrote:Since the labyrinth won't have a map, I assume it will be like the Lost Woods in Zelda games (where each room looks alike and there are paths leading out of every room in all directions)?
No.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

jaxad0127 wrote:Since the labyrinth won't have a map, I assume it will be like the Lost Woods in Zelda games (where each room looks alike and there are paths leading out of every room in all directions)?
I think what crush meant is, there will be no mini-map to consult and find your way. And posting the map somewhere online wouldn't be much use either since it's constantly changing.

Loving the idea btw. So, would you be able to see whether or not the exit you're about to take gives a big or small penalty?
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Post by Peacemaker »

Such a maze is also great for Dungeons.

Another 2D MMORPG i played long time ago had such a random maze. The tricky part was, that the player had to remember every step because if the player touches the wall, he will be beamed back to the startpoint...
Peacemaker: Level 58 - STR 60+ / AGI 30 / VIT 36 / INT 5 / DEX 20 / LUK 5 - wiped because of inactivity... :(
Eliott
Peon
Peon

Post by Eliott »

Peacemaker wrote:the player had to remember every step because if the player touches the wall
what do you mean by "touches the wall" ?
Is it the wall of Dongeons ?
th¦$_¦$_m¥_DARK_$¦de
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Post by Peacemaker »

I mean, if you walk into an invisable wall, the player gets back to the entrance... But I must say that it is a bad idea for TMW because it would be very difficult to get through (the other game had very small Maps and Tile-based movement, therefore the maze "just" took an hour...).

btw. I really like the death penalty random maze :)
Peacemaker: Level 58 - STR 60+ / AGI 30 / VIT 36 / INT 5 / DEX 20 / LUK 5 - wiped because of inactivity... :(
Trinexx
Peon
Peon

Post by Trinexx »

I think the whole "maze" thing would piss off a lot of players...

I'm not a big fan of TMW looking and feeling similar to other MMORPGs, but I personally love Ultima Online's way of handling death. That's just me, though.
Eliott
Peon
Peon

Post by Eliott »

Peacemaker wrote:I mean, if you walk into an invisable wall, the player gets back to the entrance... But I must say that it is a bad idea for TMW because it would be very difficult to get through (the other game had very small Maps and Tile-based movement, therefore the maze "just" took an hour...).
ok
th¦$_¦$_m¥_DARK_$¦de
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Post by Peacemaker »

My opinion about death penalty's:

1. a death penalty should not decrease EXP or money
2. but it should be some kind of punishment
3. optimal solution: let the player choose...

So it would be nice to choose between the maze, lose experience or lose money. If you are remembering the Greece mythology there is a ferry boat to transport someone safety over the water to or out of the "Hades". The price is 2 golden coins on the eyes of the dead body...

For TMW this idea could be adopted... If someone wants to travel between the dead an the living world the player can ask the ferry boat NPC. The NPC takes x% of our money OR asks for an rare item out of the inventory OR asks to get x% EXP. Of, course that should work in both directions...

If someone doesnt want to pay money or lose EXP (the loss should be high enough to think about walking trough the maze), the player can go through the maze...
Eliott
Peon
Peon

Post by Eliott »

it's a great idea but i think the majority of players prefer choosing the maze and don't losing XP, money or rare item.
the choice is useless.
th¦$_¦$_m¥_DARK_$¦de
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It's a pure matter of cost optimisation. Earning gold and exp costs time and doing the labyrinth costs time, too.

When the time required for earning the gold and/or exp required for skipping the labyrinth is less than the time it takes to do the labyrinth an intelligent player will skip it. When the time required for earning the cost is more than the time saved by skipping the labyrinth a smart player would rather do the labyrinth.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

My input into the issue:

The labyrinth experience should have variance. It's boring if the challenge is the same every time. There should be multiple potential goals and some (optional) mini-quests too. This also apperas to be the consensus of the dev team so far. Unless this thread gathers an enormous opposition towards the concept or comes up with a radically better design, we could consider this decided.
This message used to be meaningful.
Eliott
Peon
Peon

Post by Eliott »

will this punishement be proportional to the player's level ?
th¦$_¦$_m¥_DARK_$¦de
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When we add an option to buy yourself out of limbo it should be level-dependent because a fortune for a low-level character is nothing for a high-level character - both in money and in exp.
  • NOT a game master

Sertraline
Novice
Novice

Post by Sertraline »

Hold on a second. Did I skip the part where we described at length how dying, then immediately respawning with no consequence other than being moved back to the start is broken?

I'll concede that perhaps there should be consequences. Let's say, wait 10 seconds, lose some GP, or some items, some exp. But how far can you push it until the game stops being fun? I can't speak for anyone else, but I play games to have fun, and I don't see the excitement and diversion in wandering around in an inscrutable abyss
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

kinda off topic, but here goes:

my "dying forever" idea was based upon another suggestion i wanted to submit about weapons/armor breaking down over time unless they are maintained. i think every action should have some kind of consequence, it will cause people to venture slowly into unfamiliar areas. if there is the possibility that you will die forever you won't approach an enemy that you are unsure you can defeat. also if there's a possibility that someone else can grab your level 99 sword (that you worked hard for) if you should fall in battle, you'll rethink the death without consequence (or minor consequence).

as well as keep the amount of money low. a bunch of people say that they want a bank; i say you're not apportioning your money properly if you need a bank. you should invest your money in a house, properly maintained weapons/armor, healing items, etc.

i do like the idea of the labyrinth though, i think it could be tweaked.