Mountain map - new work for quest/npc/monster creators

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Luneenia
Peon
Peon

Post by Luneenia »

wow....can we use that last one? please??
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

Luneenia wrote:wow....can we use that last one? please??
i don't think the last one can be used like that. it has too much details.

but its a very nice concept. this can be use to give the idea of the creature to the person who is going to make it.
LEG0LAS + Bow = 100arrows/s
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

ziolive wrote:What type of monster will be used in TMW ?
here an exemple of the same monster designed in 3 different styles :

The concept is just an flying monster with 4 wings

First : Happy monster
Second : Realistic monster
Ter : Dark or frightening monster

So ?
Really nice drawings! As for answering your question, I think we can basically use all of them, or at least the last two. There is nothing against having the same kind of creature in different "levels of darkness".
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I really like the claws on that lizardish thing, I think it is worth further development and would fit a mountaineous environment (swooping down from the sky and picking up innocent victims from the narrow mountain paths without much room left for escaping). It should perhaps look a bit more aerodynamic and have the fangs to match the claws.

I think you should initially use the first style of drawing due to it being the fastest and then further develop those which get the best responses. I don't think that a concept picture can be too detailed: the pixel artist who will pixellate it can pick the best usable details for the pixellated appearence out of the huge array of conceptualized details. It would be fairly insane to require the pixel artist to try and keep every detail of every conceptual picture. Also the "dark monsters" scheme would fit the backstory explanation of "why there are monsters in the world".
This message used to be meaningful.
Carpiza
Peon
Peon

Post by Carpiza »

Hi 2 All

How can I test this Map?; I read the map tutorial and replace new_2-1.tmx.gz with this one (saving the originals), and also the graphics .png, but when i enter the game and go to that map (the first cave), i dont see the mountains but the original cave. The mountain data file is Ok because i can see it with Tiled. Any Idea what I'am making wrong?

Carlos
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

I really like that idea. Can we have same monster with diferent sprite depending from creature lv? that could be nice, but anyway... from players point of view, there is no diference between one monster in diferent lv with diferent look, or two monsters with similiar name.

one more thing. dont u think that's a bit strange that agresive snakes dont attack agresive scorpions? maybe we should more carefully put monsters in enviroment.

maybe some agresive monsters (4eg Large Snakes) should protect small ones from one spieces (small snakes), etc. that could be nice, dont u think?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Carpiza wrote:Hi 2 All

How can I test this Map?; I read the map tutorial and replace new_2-1.tmx.gz with this one (saving the originals), and also the graphics .png, but when i enter the game and go to that map (the first cave), i dont see the mountains but the original cave. The mountain data file is Ok because i can see it with Tiled. Any Idea what I'am making wrong?

Carlos
Your changed file is overridden by a changed file in the updates folder. Start TMW with the command line parameter -u to skip the update loading or remove the file you want to change from the zip archives in the folder /update/
Last edited by Crush on 06 Nov 2006, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

i wrote:I really like that idea. Can we have same monster with diferent sprite depending from creature lv? that could be nice, but anyway... from players point of view, there is no diference between one monster in diferent lv with diferent look, or two monsters with similiar name.

one more thing. dont u think that's a bit strange that agresive snakes dont attack agresive scorpions? maybe we should more carefully put monsters in enviroment.

maybe some agresive monsters (4eg Large Snakes) should protect small ones from one spieces (small snakes), etc. that could be nice, dont u think?
like that thingy?
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... dchain.jpg
Carpiza
Peon
Peon

Post by Carpiza »

Crush wrote: remove the file you want to change from the zip archives in the folder /update/
Tks; That works.
Alderan
Novice
Novice

Is this used?

Post by Alderan »

Hi I wanted to ast weather the map is used somewhere or not?