[FND]forest tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

AxlTrozz wrote:Here one concept, in the space at the top you can put the blurry landscape, hope this be somehow useful :)

I've already started working a little on the sky of the landscape image (had to revise that one cloud countless times ><). Also started working on the overlay effect, but I've decided to try and make it somewhat smaller with semi transparent leaves instead (its currently to distracting and disrupting to game play).

Still got a long long ways to go :cry:
Pixel Battalion
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Hey we're really starting to look like a commerciale game, you guys are awesome. I could see our player base doubled once we release those additions ;)
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Hey we're really starting to look like a commerciale game, you guys are awesome. I could see our player base doubled once we release those additions ;)
Its going to be some time before we finish this tileset
its going very slowly
Pixel Battalion
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

time is irrelevant =)

looking forward to see this new tileset in-game.

and better slow and making sure it looks just perfect, than hasty.

I have been watching this thread for some time now, and I would just like to say "It's looking good!".

so keep up the good work, especially Len, you are doing some fine magic! :wink:

// GonzoDark
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in update. I have remade the bottom part of the tree as follows:

I hope it is in the right perspective. I will try to make the upper part of the tree trunk if this is good enough.

Len: yes, the leaves overlay does disrupt the game play. How about making it less dense? Something like this?

Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Saphy wrote:Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in update. I have remade the bottom part of the tree as follows:

I hope it is in the right perspective. I will try to make the upper part of the tree trunk if this is good enough.

Len: yes, the leaves overlay does disrupt the game play. How about making it less dense? Something like this?

I love you :oops:

Very nice work (The perspective is consistent enough with the rest of the tileset)
Pixel Battalion
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Len wrote:
Saphy wrote:Hi again,

I love you :oops:

Very nice work (The perspective is consistent enough with the rest of the tileset)
Cool. I have added the upper part of the tree as promised. I added leaves as well:

I blurred the leaves that are close to the camera, as well as fading the upper trunk. How does this fare? Any suggestion is welcome.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

A lot of things seem to be working quite nicely, but the blurr seems to be a little much. Also we need to give some kind of indication that the trees branch out (perhaps branch or vine tiles which can be used out from the trees)
Pixel Battalion
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Len wrote:Image

A lot of things seem to be working quite nicely, but the blurr seems to be a little much. Also we need to give some kind of indication that the trees branch out (perhaps branch or vine tiles which can be used out from the trees)
Branch out? :?:
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Sorry for the crudeness of this example

People won’t understand the concept that the big tree is more than a stump unless we hold their hands and constantly remind them of it… I’m going to go get some sleep
Pixel Battalion
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

I see. How about this?

AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I think the shadows will play an important part in the effect, may be trying to add the shadows of the leaves and branches to the floor, because now looks like there is plenty of sun under the trees, I would suggest deep shadows as some of the examples Len already post before
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Now the old trees with their non-conforming dark outlines (mainly roots) have to be fixed.
This message used to be meaningful.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

AxlTrozz wrote:I think the shadows will play an important part in the effect, may be trying to add the shadows of the leaves and branches to the floor, because now looks like there is plenty of sun under the trees, I would suggest deep shadows as some of the examples Len already post before
Something like this?

A tree without its top is indeed challenging. Now that I think about it, is it really that important to have the top faded out? Wouldn't it be nice to have it visible?
Rotonen wrote:Now the old trees with their non-conforming dark outlines (mainly roots) have to be fixed.
Where?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

A visible treetop would block too much view. It would be very hard to use the tree to build playable maps when a tree blocks a 3x2 tile area physically but obstructs the view on an unblocked area of about 7x7 tiles.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.