Real time trajectory computing

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Real time trajectory computing

Post by Dr Wahl »

I think it would be cool to have something like a ball that you can toss between players (similar the the Leather Ball on WoW) or if you could make snowballs and throw them. This could be used for mini-games or possibly some magic spells or other physical attacks (for example, throwing a potion or a rock). I think that animating the action in the way we animate things like player movement (via sprite sheets and xml) will not work. Maybe the particle engine could be used for this. I am not exactly sure of the possibilities of the particle engine, so maybe some one can comment more on this (Crush?).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The particle engine can only be used for objects that don't affect the gameplay.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

That is a bit of a broad statement. It seems to me that the particle engine is used for effects and might be able to compute distances on the fly, so it could be used to make the visual effect that something is flying through the air, but I wouldn't consider that effecting gameplay. Maybe I am not understanding something fully...
haggard
Novice
Novice

Post by haggard »

well dr they are always lookin for developers....why dont you take your idea and make it happen and show them wrong. just a suggestion
Dr Wahl wrote:That is a bit of a broad statement. It seems to me that the particle engine is used for effects and might be able to compute distances on the fly, so it could be used to make the visual effect that something is flying through the air, but I wouldn't consider that effecting gameplay. Maybe I am not understanding something fully...
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

I would love to, but I (currently) lack the programming knowledge. I have been going through do-it-yourself online "how to write [insert language here]", but I'm still VERY noob.

Back to the topic at hand though.

I may not have communicated very effectively on my last post. From what I understand, the particle engine will be used for magical effects, correct? So would I do not understand how this would be any different. Because Crush said that it is not possible, I must assume that he is 100% correct (seeing as how he created the engine). I was simply trying to think of more ways to put the engine to work since it is one of the more impressive pieces of eye-candy TMW has to offer (at this state anyhow).
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

What Crush probably means is that the particle engine is just a client side effect. Since the particles position is not communicated to the server each client we'll see them at different positions making it not feasible to base player interaction on particles.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying Elven!