red slime cave :D

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

LOL

Post by Merlin »

Well we Americans have butchered the English language so bad thats I don't see how anyone can complain about it anymore. Sure I still believe that proper usage makes for better communication. I was just saying he was making a limited attempt with what he knows.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The grammar and word choice of automatic translation programs is always good for a laugh. "Sie Burschen", lol!
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
lars
Peon
Peon

Post by lars »

yes you have the reason
sorry but i live in sotuh america
and my english is very poor :S

bye!
Welcome home boy.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

LOL!

Post by Merlin »

Yes they make some weird choices when it comes to what is used. Even when I turn things into English they come out alot different then I suppose there meant to. It makes me wonder how much has been lost in the meaning of many things after the have been translated from language to language and then again.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

The main reason automated translation programs give out quirky results is the unique sentence structure of the English language. No other language has it's structure, making it difficult to learn. The other problem is the sheer volume of words that the english language has. Many words have multiple meanings, and you have several words that mean the same thing.

Also, I wasn't specifically referring to Strump. A few of his friends were using bad English as well. In the future, I'll try to keep those comments to myself. Unless someone happens to be using improper English on purpose.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Strump
Novice
Novice

Post by Strump »

omg sry but lars is my best frend.

and i'm can't so good yes i learn.

But i will help :'( i will help in mapping :(
:D
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Also note that the english grammar is extremely simple compared to other european languages. English sentences are always strictly subject-verb-object while you can arrange the sentence elements in a German sentence in (almost) any order you like but you have to watch out for some traps while doing so.

Many european languages also differ between different kinds of objects (most enhirited this from the latin language). Finding the correct equivalent for an english object in a foreign language is quite hard for an automatic translation program.

They also have trouble guessing the proper honorific form for the target language (In many european languages, like German, French or Spanish, you use different grammar and wording when talking to strangers than you use when talking to friends. On the internet, by the way, you always talk to people in the "friend" form.). But I have to admit that this is a really hard task for an automatic translation program because the english language doesn't do this and thus you have to guess the appropriate form from the context - something even real translators have problems with from time to time. I can only guess how inappropriate automatic translations into languages like Japanese are where you have dotzends of different honorifics.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Strump
Novice
Novice

Post by Strump »

Crush wrote:Also note that the english grammar is extremely simple compared to other european languages. English sentences are always strictly subject-verb-object while you can arrange the sentence elements in a German sentence in (almost) any order you like but you have to watch out for some traps while doing so.

Many european languages also differ between different kinds of objects (most enhirited this from the latin language). Finding the correct equivalent for an english object in a foreign language is quite hard for an automatic translation program.

They also have trouble guessing the proper honorific form for the target language (In many european languages, like German, French or Spanish, you use different grammar and wording when talking to strangers than you use when talking to friends. On the internet, by the way, you always talk to people in the "friend" form.). But I have to admit that this is a really hard task for an automatic translation program because the english language doesn't do this and thus you have to guess the appropriate form from the context - something even real translators have problems with from time to time. I can only guess how inappropriate automatic translations into languages like Japanese are where you have dotzends of different honorifics.
-.-thx Crush

but XD lars have not a problem in english -.- i have oik but my frend llars not :evil:
Strump
Novice
Novice

Post by Strump »

We return to more m post
lars
Peon
Peon

Post by lars »

more post XD

hey crush sorry but my english is very poor.
sometimes i can't use exactly words to talk in the forum
i live in south america and my first lenguage is spanish :S.
in the forum is a rule talk in english.
ok nohing more .

WE WANT STRUMP'S MAP :D

Malaviox archer lvl 70
bye!
Welcome home boy.

Bine
Peon
Peon

Post by Bine »

Hi,

i want to thank MerlinX420 for his posts!

I´m from germany like strump and i´m a friend of him!
o.k. his english is not so good, but I think he´s very brave to post here!

I mean all the people who post here, without good english skills, are very brave!

Greets Bine
See you in TMW!!!
(Sorry for my bad english, i´m from Germany!)