Town/Starting Area Idea

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Should the monster spawn points be moved out of town?

Yes, it doesn't make sense for the monsters to spawn there!
42%
Mabey, if the town was under attack it would make sense for the monsters to be everywhere... but why are the gaurds at the gates, rather than fighting monsters?
5%
No, I think that having the monsters spawn in town is a good way for new players to get there feet under them quickly
53%

Total votes: 19
PKemrin
Peon
Peon

Town/Starting Area Idea

Post by PKemrin »

I know it would require a little recoding, but wouldn't it make more sense if the starting town wasn't swarming with monsters? There are goblins running everywhere and the guards stand at the gates of this walled city talking about how they protect the town...

It would make more sense if the area just outside the starting town was made the spot for low level monsters, and the town was without monsters. I don't mean to nitpick, but really, why are there even guards at the gates if the goblins are already running around the city?
Merlin
Developer
Developer

The "Monsters" inside Tulsmier

Post by Merlin »

There hardly monsters. More like rodents. Why would the guards waste there time fighting pests? That seems better suited to the new players to kill.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

In the future it should be possible to make none free roaming monsters, so maggots might surround a dead animal(or graveyard) in town, but be free of them anywhere else on the map.

which would give low lvl players something to kill and keep everyone else from wondering why we have so many monsters in town.
Pixel Battalion
PKemrin
Peon
Peon

Post by PKemrin »

"There hardly monsters. More like rodents. Why would the guards waste there time fighting pests? That seems better suited to the new players to kill."

They are not rats. They're goblins. Also, they are so strong that any new player who attacks one will be killed by it. Not that they're really a threat, I mean, just don't attack them right? They're not aggressive monsters or anything. I'm just saying their presence doesn't make sense. Although I agree that maybe there should be maggots on corpses or a couple goblins hiding in a basement or something. Overall though I think the starting combat zone would make more sense outside the city gates, where those things I still can't kill at level 12 are now. I say those things should be moved elsewhere, and the n00b monsters should move to were they are. The area progression would make more sense to:

Monsterless town area
Area with weak, neutral monsters
Area with stronger aggressive monsters
etcetera
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

A new starting town is being planned (a farm town that leads to Trace city). We could have easy to kill rats in the town and progressively harder monsters as you get closer to the city (but not too hard).
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Weren't the guards there to keep higher monsters out (red scorpion giant maggot, green slime). They're doing teh hard work, let the newbies kill teh little bugs :)
(it's one of the few existing quests btw)
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

I think that towns should have trivial, passive mobs (small rats, etc.) to set the environment and they should be very thin (only one small rat every 5-7 screen lengths). Towns should be a haven for safety from natural mobs, unless an event is in progress. Similar to real life animals that shy away from towns, mobs should also stay outside the town. The newb mobs can be just outside the town and the newb chars can run around just outside the town (but within the sound of Moms voice) so they can get familiar with the game without having to travel.
PKemrin
Peon
Peon

Post by PKemrin »

My thoughts exactly.