Balanceing of Food Item Cost:Heal Ratio

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Balanceing of Food Item Cost:Heal Ratio

Post by Merlin »

Do to concerns with the Food Cost:Heal Ratio I purpose these new stats for some items:

Cherry Cake HP+40 Cost 70gp
Roasted Maggot HP+100 Cost 150
Milk HP+150 Cost 250
Beer HP+200 Cost 300
Chicken Leg HP+400 Cost 700

Any attempt I make at re balancing the whole table greatly skews the values of some items. Considering I would like the new restaurant to be able to sell things such as Milk,Roasted Maggot,and Chicken Leg I need to be able to do so without adverse effects to the already fragile economy of TMW.

Any suggestions and help in this matter would be greatly appreciated as this is one of the things holding me back from finishing this project.

Thank You,

MerlinX420
PKemrin
Peon
Peon

Post by PKemrin »

Just a thought

I suggest a simplified fraction as a starting point...

What if food healing 3 health cost 5 gold? 6/10ths ratio of healing vs cost

I arrived at this idea by averaging MerlinX420's item costs together and using a rounded average.

This will give a common basis for cost on healing items

List based on my idea:
Cherry Cake HP+40 Cost 67
Roasted Maggot HP+167 Cost
Milk HP+150 Cost 250
Beer HP+200 Cost 333
Chicken Leg HP+400 Cost 667
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

As I already said somewhere else: Better healing items should have a worse hp/gold ratio because they allow the character to heal faster and they take less weight.

Merlins ratios are thought out quite well.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

items

Post by Merlin »

Thank you for the input. I believe I will implement the new costs into the new store. The HP effect of some items would have to be changed and that is not in my control. I can only set the price of said items in the map I am currently scripting. Before the new map is added the current prices in the existing store would have to be changed also. (To avoid a cash making flaw and further escalating the inflation.) I can edit the existing NPC scripts and upload them with the new ones. Should I go with these values Crush?

Thank You,
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

For balance reasons the prices of all shops should be the same. You can modify the default prices and the effects of items in the server file db/item_db.txt from the serverdata SVN repository. But for some reason the price values here have no effect ingame. Every shop uses its own prices.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Small variances in shop prices are more realistic, as long as you can' make money by transporting goods you bought in one shop.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Realistic? Yes, but is it a good idea gameplay-wise? When shops have different prices people would only buy at the cheapest shop and it would feel like the other shops don't even exist.
  • NOT a game master

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:Realistic? Yes, but is it a good idea gameplay-wise? When shops have different prices people would only buy at the cheapest shop and it would feel like the other shops don't even exist.
But will they travel to the other side of the world to do so?
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

Crush wrote:For balance reasons the prices of all shops should be the same.
I must say I disagree. Having a price range for each item would keep the balance, but allow for players to travel to make the most money off of the item. For example, selling hay to the farm town NPCs might only sell for 15g, but travel to some far away village that does not have the resources and they should pay a premium for the travel that was required, so they might pay a little more, like 18g per item.

I would like to see items have a range that they must stay within a reasonable range.
Crush wrote:When shops have different prices people would only buy at the cheapest shop...
If the price range is not huge, I think that this would not become an issue. If an NPC is selling apples for 10g in this town, but 8g in the next town over, I would be willing to pay the premium to not have to travel. Plus, if you are buying in bulk, this will add up, making it begin to effect the market.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

jaxad0127 wrote:
Crush wrote:Realistic? Yes, but is it a good idea gameplay-wise? When shops have different prices people would only buy at the cheapest shop and it would feel like the other shops don't even exist.
But will they travel to the other side of the world to do so?
Considering the current world size? Yes, I would take the 3 minute walk. And don't expect that the world will grow a lot until we switch to the new server. And then we will dump the complete item database anyway.
  • NOT a game master

Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

Good point Crush. Maybe we need some more defining about what is actually being talked about here. My comments are on the idea of how I would like to see things when the game is complete.