Mushroms Forest Cave

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

jaxad0127 wrote:The spore-shooting mushrooms would be good enemies (stationary and auto attacking).
Thoughts of such enemies have occurred to me. I had an idea for one monster that is a giant, floating puffball mushroom. Attacking it causes it to release toxic spores, and killing it will make the thing explode, releasing it's poisonous spores over an area.

EDIT: Well, TMW seems to run a little better under Arch Linux, with a speed increase of 3~5 FPS. As well, Tiled runs significantly faster. The speed increases for it vary between a 50% to 200% increase in speed, depending on what I'm doing. This'll make the mapping much easier.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Falcata wrote:Thoughts of such enemies have occurred to me. I had an idea for one monster that is a giant, floating puffball mushroom. Attacking it causes it to release toxic spores, and killing it will make the thing explode, releasing it's poisonous spores over an area.
I like the idea. I think they should be non-intellegent though. Just floating around, maybe releasing poisones spores at random all the time. Like an area of effect spell.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

I suppose that could work, but I'm not sure if that would be possible on the current server.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Don't concern yourself with making anything too complex for the current server, since it's not worth the effort. Using the current mushroom map on the current server is great and I'm sure will satisfy a few people, but its a waste of time and energy to get complex with it. Any creatures you have should be no more complex than the ones that are currently implemented.

That said, brainstorming ideas for the new server is just fine. ..and I'm sure the new server will ultimately be able to portray any creatures you can think up. (within reason, of course.. ;) )

edit: How about a mushroom that does the whole "mushroom-growing-on-your-head" thing, like in Earthbound. When you get mushroomed, your movement controls randomly recalibrate, so that about the time you figure out the new calibration and have taken a few steps, it changes again. Just as an idea for expanding on the status-ailments, so it's not just poison, poison, poison. ..
oliver
Peon
Peon

Post by oliver »

Regarding "interesting" ailments, how about hallucination? In the rogue-like Moria game there's a hallucination mushroom. If you accidentally eat it (not knowing what it will do), you will see random monsters appear around you, for a limited time.
Even in that text-based game this is surprisingly real; if you suddenly see some "L"s and "V"s and lots lower-case characters around you, you inevitably break to sweat :-) . If you walk into such a hallucinated character, it disappears (IIRC they also disappear every few moves, but new "monsters" come up as well). But there are also real monsters between the fake ones; so you can't just walk along, because one of those V's might be a real Vampire...

In that game, there was the additional problem with hallucination that you couldn't just use the usual "rest for 200 turns" command, because the rest would be interrupted whenever a monsters moved (read: always)... So you had to press the "rest" key around 400 times until the effect was gone - all the time seeing the monsters around you :-)
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Don't forget about Angband!
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

oliver wrote:Regarding "interesting" ailments, how about hallucination? In the rogue-like Moria game there's a hallucination mushroom. If you accidentally eat it (not knowing what it will do), you will see random monsters appear around you, for a limited time.
Even in that text-based game this is surprisingly real; if you suddenly see some "L"s and "V"s and lots lower-case characters around you, you inevitably break to sweat :-) . If you walk into such a hallucinated character, it disappears (IIRC they also disappear every few moves, but new "monsters" come up as well). But there are also real monsters between the fake ones; so you can't just walk along, because one of those V's might be a real Vampire...

In that game, there was the additional problem with hallucination that you couldn't just use the usual "rest for 200 turns" command, because the rest would be interrupted whenever a monsters moved (read: always)... So you had to press the "rest" key around 400 times until the effect was gone - all the time seeing the monsters around you :-)
hmm, regarding hallucination, maybe some particle or overlay effect can come to use...
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Well, the problem with that is that the game is open source. A person could just edit the particle definition files so that they don't do anything. The monster hallucination thing would be easier, since the server could just be modified to send false monster data to the client of a hallucinating character.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Well technically, even then the client could intercept the false monsters and not display them, right?
Although that would probably be a lot harder.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It is not really hard to make the false monsters undistinguishable from the real ones. It is not a problem for the server to send data about false monsters that looks exactly like data for real ones. When a character hallucinates the server could just spawn and process some additional monsters that behave normally but only interact with the hallucinating character. The server could even send false damage data to the client. It would be pretty convincing.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Ok, I've been trying to find the common things in caves, first thing I noticed is most of them have horizontal stripes that represent ages and ground layers

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DN

Another thing is the existence of stalagmites (going up) and stalactites (going down) but only in caves with high concentration of minerals
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Trying new colors, a green cave, taking the caves pictures I found but with some TMW style, :)

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When it is supposed to be a stone wall of a green/yellowish mineral you should lower the saturation a lot.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I like green on the walls, but I think it should be on the walls, like moss and junk like that. Maybe there should still be a few patches of bare, cave wall poking through the green. It would probably only be a small difference in color, but it'd be a moderate difference in texture. (like moss against rock, for the sake of the example)
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Heres the moss I made for the Forest tileset and never used it, also started this rock texture some time ago and didn't use it.

You might be able to use them here, If you want I can create a wall with them.

Pixel Battalion