Character sprites

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

I think that's a fine walking animation. clothes will make all the difference as to how natural it looks. (can you make a quick sample set of clothes for us to see on it).
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Thanks. Yeah, I'll try and get some sort of simple clothed version up later today.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Do you think we will have several faces, Talaroc? I couldn't stand to have everyone look the same with just a different hairstyle. If you could come up with a few extra faces, that would be cool. I know it's easy for someone with your Mad Skillz. :wink:

By the way, I know everyone wants you to do the female sprite next, but I'm more in favor of getting running and battle stances done first. If you don't mind, I'd like to have another artist mod the male sprite to get a female one while you get started on the running. Of course, I'll let you go the way you want to go with it, but please let me know what your next move is going to be. Thanks. :D
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The legs are still a bit scrawny and the knees don't seem to bend..? And yeah, more faces, preferrably components to build faces out of. A true sense of individuality would be a real benefit for us. :)
Argh
Peon
Peon

Post by Argh »

Hmm... what about letting the player import selfmade faces?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Having users import their own graphic means that they have to be stored on the server and this will need space to store, and they have be transferred when the player meet an user.

Furthermore I think this will reduce graphic quality.
Argh
Peon
Peon

Post by Argh »

thats right, but this would be just 1 or 2 kb... a simple face with just a few colors as a png
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

When transferring it over the net also 1 kb is a big quantity. :roll:
Argh
Peon
Peon

Post by Argh »

okay okay, just found it an interesting idea :lol:
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I'd be fine with multiple faces, similar to multiple hair types and colors. I don't agree with people drawing their own face, not because of bandwidth (because I think this would really pose no problem) but just because that would get messy for sure.

Here's a scaled version at 150ms per frame: Image

What I find strange is that while his body moves up because of the stretched leg, his crotch doesn't. Also, I think it moves up too late and comes down too fast (maybe just have it up for one frame more?). Other than that, it looks to me like we are very close to having this one done.
Last edited by Bjørn on 08 Mar 2005, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Female sprites: I'm planning, once we've got a solid style set down with this first animation, to do the whole male/female sprite sets concurrently. It won't be very difficult to alter the male versions.

Extra faces: Yes, I can probably come up with some. Bear in mind, though, that the only differences are going to have to be significant ones (say, an eye patch, a scar, perhaps different eye colors), because of the size. I definately don't agree with player-made faces, both because of the bandwidth problems and because it would start looking stupid (you know some idiots aren't going to be drawing faces in there...).

Legs: Given the size, it's either this or legs that are easily a foot across. The proportions I've got going here are much more accurate. The old one was more chibi, which works to a degree in anime-styled games, but full-on chibi (or just close to it) looks goofy for an adventurer. I've also been working on the knees, but shading's the only thing I can do. If I make them really any sharper, they're going to start really looking odd.

Bjorn: ...wow. I totally missed the immobile crotch. I'll get on that, and try the different "bounce" for my next upload.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The hands look like hands, but the legs still look like absolutely straight (and thin) sticks..? Perhaps you should try to put subtle muscles in there? Just my opinion though..
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

My thoughts: This animation is already finished. Let's design some equipment, clothe it, and put it in the game. No one is ever going to see the crotch or upper legs anyway. (I assume the player will get the dececy of a pair of boxers if all his clothes are removed)
View the Systems
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Well I've made a new version adressing my two points about the crotch and head bobbing. I'll be the first to admit we're changing details here, and I'll leave it to Talaroc to decide wether he thinks this is an improvement.

Previous: Image With changes: Image

I agree with Kyokai in that we should declare this finished. We need move on to the other directions and actions.
Last edited by Bjørn on 08 Mar 2005, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Rotonen: The problem is, look at the original walking animation I did. The "bend" that made the legs look so awkward and overly-spaced was only one pixel. I'm afraid that with this style and size, it's either this or massively overbulked legs. I like this better.

Bjorn: I like it. A lot. :D In fact, I'm willing to agree with you and Kyokai; this animation is done. If you could send me the individual frames, I'll start slapping them onto a spritesheet, and working on the other directions and female version.

Kyokai: The character is wearing boxers. They're just skintight. And fleshtone. :wink: