Running Sprites

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Doubi
Peon
Peon

Running Sprites

Post by Doubi »

Hi everyone. I wanted to attempt to contribute something as useful as possible, and I was told that at the moment running sprites wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Only stick figures at the moment I'm afraid, I'd like to get some opinions on the number of frames needed before I start.

Modanung suggested that four frames might do for running:
(obviously, I haven't done the limbs on the opposite side here, they're only stickmen after all~)

However, I thought that looked almost comical. Reminded me of Super Mario World. So here's what 6 and 8 frames would look like respectively. The 8-frame version would be the 6 sprites, but with one of the transitional sprites used twice. Clearly speed can be tweaked later, so here just thinking about smoothness:

6 frames:

8 frames:

By all means, if the consensus is that 4 frames would do, whoopee, less work :wink:

Also, I have to say I don't fully understand the whole xml animation thing, so please correct me if the reusing the same sprite twice thing wouldn't be possible for the 8-frame version.

So, let me know what's what and I'll try it with sprites.

Cheers!
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Reusing the image wouldn't be a problem, just more XML. I think they all look quite comical. The character looks like he's floating.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think we should do without a running animation in addition to a walking animation. Remember that the animation frames have to be added to all current and future equipment graphics.

But when you want to contribute to the player sprites it would be most productive when you would continue modanungs work at the slashing animations. The same argument applies here but slashing animations are something we really need. http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1176

Regarding your question about the animation definition files: yes, you can use the same frame multiple times in the same animation or even multiple times in different actions.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Doubi
Peon
Peon

Post by Doubi »

jaxad0127 wrote:Reusing the image wouldn't be a problem, just more XML. I think they all look quite comical. The character looks like he's floating.
I see what you mean :P My thinking was that I was trying to make it noticeably different from the movement of the walking sprites. And I was trying to notice and think as I run about on my daily business, and you do tend to leave the ground when you're jogging. Any suggestions on how to make them less floatycomical?

Also, I should point out that there'd be more noticeable upper body movement in the final version. On the 8-frame version there, the arms appear to swing from a fixed position, while I'd actually want to have the shoulders swinging back and forth like real life, just a pixel or two. So the frames at either extreme would show a little of the chest / back, I should think.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

As Crush stated making a running animation at this moment is quite useless. We could use some help with an attack animation. Personally I'd like to see the spear attack complete since the front part is almost done.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I hope running won't always just look like really fast walking, though. :(
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I like this running animation :)

Holy
Novice
Novice

Post by Holy »

lol pretty cool man. :D
Doubi
Peon
Peon

Post by Doubi »

Matt wrote:I like this running animation :)
It is cool, the problem is though it uses twelve frames of animation, double the number used for the current walking sprites. It'd create an awful lot of work for anyone wanting to make armour / weapons in the future, which would ultimately mean less people contributing, so less content.

It's a good animation for reference though. I'd based those animations up there on a "jogging" pose, where the trunk of the body is more upright, but I like how it's leaning forward here, it looks stronger. I'm not sure if it'd look as natural with half the frames though; something to experiment with in future.

In any case, I won't be working any more on running sprites at least until some new weapon-using sprites get done, possibly spell-casting too. So not for a while :P
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I thought the running to be more leaning forward. Like he's throwing himself forwards.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

That looks like a shyguy telling us to not steal bandwidth. :wink:
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Copy and paste it into your address bar to get around that.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

jaxad0127 wrote:Copy and paste it into your address bar to get around that.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Also, like in the real world. When people run, they lean forward to compensate for the fact that their legs are moving forward faster than their body is - effectively, they cause themselves to be in a constant state of "falling fowards", which is perfectly balanced by the inertia of the body, the "normal/perpendicular force" coming from the feet hitting the ground, and a bunch of other jive. The point is that if they didn't, they'd fall over backwards.

The point is also that any running animation which doesn't want to look like "Clutch Cargo"* is gonna need to do this. So do it.

*huh? It was a -notoriously- badly animated american cartoon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_Cargo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFnLirXjjto