New song: The Siren's Call

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Othello
Novice
Novice

New song: The Siren's Call

Post by Othello »

As promised in another post, I would post a song I was working on, so here it is, in two flavours:

The sirens call - cheesy top-40 edition
The sirens call - loopy ingame edition

They're basically the same, only the 2nd the start begins where the end ends :). I would say some magic castle of some kind... is it too recognizable? is it up to standards?

What do you think?

[edit]maybe its not really a magic castle.. not sure what it is :)[/edit]
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Sounds much too electronic for a fantasy-themed RPG game, in my opinion.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

This is a great start. I found the high hat and snare drum sound were too loud in the mix. The lead line could probably be mixed a little quieter since it is background music.
I think that this might fit well with one of the caves, perhaps the new mushroom cave. Out of interest what software are you using to make your music?
-Cosmostrator
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Hey Cosmostrator,

Yeah, you might be right... I will mix it a bit more ambiant. I'm using Psycle for creating my songs. Its a bit like Buzz, a modular synth, except that it doesn't have a good sequencer (yet).

Its hard to find any good open-source audio editing software, but I'm happy with Psycle... I just am a bit low on acoustic instruments.

Othello (Vincent)

PS Crush: I'll see if I can replace some intruments for some more acoustic sounding ones.
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Well, I created a more acoustic, ambiant loopy version... it took a while to tweak... here it is

Siren's Call acoustic loopy edition

Is it now better, or did I make it worse? :D
Nyxl
Peon
Peon

Post by Nyxl »

Hi

I really like it :)

The first version does sound a bit too electronic at the beginning when the lead starts playing alone, but at ~0:47 when the other instruments are added, it gets more "ambientic" in my opinion. I'm playing WoW while listening to this and as it's after midnight here in Germany, it's quite dark there too ;) Your track really created a great mood to this.

The acoustic version is a little more calm, but also nice.

I think they would both fit in a nightly area, but if I had to choose, I'd say the acoustic version fits better in the game.
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Thanx Nyxl!

Well, now I need to figure out how to get it in the game :)

Othello
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I really enjoyed listening to it, I found it suitable for something like the mushrooms cave. We could add it to that map (or whatever you suggest), once released.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:I really enjoyed listening to it, I found it suitable for something like the mushrooms cave. We could add it to that map (or whatever you suggest), once released.
I would like to know what this song sounds like, but at the moment my new computer's sound cards (integrated and PCI) are not working.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Got the sound card working, sort of. For some strange reason, the "headphone" channel is being treated as the primary audio channel. Oh well. The song seems pretty good, and I agree with Elven Programmer. The song would go well with the Mushroom Forest.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

As of this time its released, you may freely use it. If modifications are needed let me know. If I create something else I think you might be able to use I'll publish it.

I'll see if I have time this weekend to see how content and graphics development is done in TMW. Might wanna experience the mushroom cave too... and maybe start on some graphics development.

Othello