Mushroms Forest Cave

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Len wrote:Heres the moss I made for the Forest tileset and never used..
8)
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Trying to give it a more cave like look (more like it was formed by running water)
Pixel Battalion
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

thanks 8)

If you don't mind I'll take it and work with it
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

AxlTrozz wrote:thanks 8)

If you don't mind I'll take it and work with it
its fine with me

I think we should avoid the blockyness of the current caves and try for something more organic like in Chrono Trigger
Pixel Battalion
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

:) That's more like it, for the height of the walls.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Len wrote:I think we should avoid the blockyness of the current caves and try for something more organic like in Chrono Trigger
Chrono Trigger's caves rocked.

And here's a hint - a lot of it had to do with the floors; in making caves, try and make multiple varieties of floor, and have at least one walkable variety be strewn with small boulders and rubble. (It's assumed you use single, larger "placeable boulders" to do the unwalkable variety). Real cave floors are strewn with rubble; cripes, the basically are rubble, unless enough sediment has deposited on top of them. The current cave floors look like a blank cement floor.

A lot of it also had to do with the walls being curved, and having "legs" that extended out over the cave floor - legs on which the flattened end parts were walkable.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Jetryl wrote:
Len wrote:I think we should avoid the blockyness of the current caves and try for something more organic like in Chrono Trigger

And here's a hint - a lot of it had to do with the floors; in making caves, try and make multiple varieties of floor, and have at least one walkable variety be strewn with small boulders and rubble. (It's assumed you use single, larger "placeable boulders" to do the unwalkable variety). Real cave floors are strewn with rubble; cripes, the basically are rubble, unless enough sediment has deposited on top of them. The current cave floors look like a blank cement floor.

A lot of it also had to do with the walls being curved, and having "legs" that extended out over the cave floor - legs on which the flattened end parts were walkable.
My sentiments exactly!
And thats one reason I believe that many of the old maps/tilesets need a lot of work.. ><
Pixel Battalion
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Len wrote:
Jetryl wrote:

My sentiments exactly!
And thats one reason I believe that many of the old maps/tilesets need a lot of work.. ><
I like all the ideas, I was thinking in something like that but also add some low header places like passages and connections, I'll try some concepts to start with, still not convinced about the brown color and vertical shapes, I would like to do something green or yellow with horizontal shapes just to have something new, what you think ??

Note: I bought a wacom tablet and still trying to make it work with Gimp and XP any advise is welcome :)
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

what about something like this...
http://home.off-road.com/~snantz/Trips/ ... llagoe.jpg

I like
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

AxlTrozz wrote: I like all the ideas, I was thinking in something like that but also add some low header places like passages and connections, I'll try some concepts to start with, still not convinced about the brown color and vertical shapes, I would like to do something green or yellow with horizontal shapes just to have something new, what you think ??

Note: I bought a wacom tablet and still trying to make it work with Gimp and XP any advise is welcome :)
Caves are generally shaped by water, which has been dripping and depositing minerals (creating vertical shapes)

When ever I see the horizontal shaped texture that you proposed its been in windy areas of the games
(These images are copyrighted by there original creators “use them only as a referenceâ€
Pixel Battalion
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Starting something... - green - :)
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

AxlTrozz wrote:Image

Starting something... - green - :)
Interesting....
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

@Len: When you switch off bilinear filtering in your emulators display post processing settings it is much easier to examine squaresofts pixel art technique.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

AxlTrozz are you going to leave some of that orange/redish color as reflective color

kinda of how I did for the purple on this tower
Crush wrote:@Len: When you switch off bilinear filtering in your emulators display post processing settings it is much easier to examine squaresofts pixel art technique.
Lets not say "emulator" lets call them Screen shots from an undisclosed source :wink:
Pixel Battalion
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

AxlTrozz wrote:Image
umm.. :? forgive me for sounding stupid, but I can't tell what this image is supposed to be.