----

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Keio
Peon
Peon

----

Post by Keio »

So I can't delete my own post, that's a weird rule.

Please some admin delete it.
Last edited by Keio on 09 Feb 2008, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

There are still Pokemon fans around there? I thought kids these days were through with Pokemon and already behind the next big fad.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Simeon
Peon
Peon

Post by Simeon »

Spam really.
Keio
Peon
Peon

Post by Keio »

Oh well... ok, I didn't mean to spam.. but this is OffTopic right?

Where is the delete button?
Simeon
Peon
Peon

Post by Simeon »

Well it's okay I guess but trying to recruit developers on the forums of another MMORPG project is a bit... odd ;)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Is it at least open source?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Keio
Peon
Peon

Post by Keio »

Crush wrote:There are still Pokemon fans around there? I thought kids these days were through with Pokemon and already behind the next big fad.
well, you are right.. Pokemon is just a game with silly monsters you have to beat.... Ohh wait o_O

It can't be open source because Nintendo would sue them. ( I think.. not really sure)
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Crush wrote:There are still Pokemon fans around there? I thought kids these days were through with Pokemon and already behind the next big fad.
Sure kids still like Pokemon.. they're just 20 years old now. :o
Simeon
Peon
Peon

Post by Simeon »

Keio wrote:
well, you are right.. Pokemon is just a game with silly monsters you have to beat.... Ohh wait o_O

It can't be open source because Nintendo would sue them. ( I think.. not really sure)
Isn't it a problem anyway, regardless of the license, because you're using the Pokemon intellectual property?

It would not be allowed to create an (open-source) Zelda game or a game featuring any of the other Nintendo characters, simply because they're copyrighted.
Last edited by Simeon on 09 Feb 2008, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Who's making an open-source Zelda game? Somebody destroy this junk-thread.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

Simeon wrote:
Keio wrote:

Isn't it a problem anyway, regardless of the license, because you're using the Pokemon intellectual property?

It would not be allowed to create an (open-source) Zelda game or a game featuring any of the other Nintendo characters, simply because they're copyrighted.
You wouldn't be able to create a closed-source game either. Unless you have permission, which is unlikely. If doing so, you would have to be very careful, or at least come up with a very good Fair Use defense.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Simeon
Peon
Peon

Post by Simeon »

Falcata wrote:You wouldn't be able to create a closed-source game either. Unless you have permission, which is unlikely. If doing so, you would have to be very careful, or at least come up with a very good Fair Use defense.
Yes, it applies to closed-source as well of course - I don't think fair use covers such significant use of the intellectual property of others; after all, a lot of the game depends on that artwork.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

It really depends on the manner in which it is used, but the defense will usually fail in these cases. Parodies, however, usually succeed in the fair use defense. It also depends a lot on copyright laws, which are different in each country.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
bankai
Novice
Novice

Post by bankai »

dabe wrote:
Sure kids still like Pokemon.. they're just 20 years old now. :o
sure me and mai cousin break out the old g1 pokemon versions and beat eachother up
WOOHOOOOOOOO