Annoucement! Equipment System Frame Up!

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Annoucement! Equipment System Frame Up!

Post by Kyokai »

This post is a quick reminder to everyone to go to the wiki page
http://themanaworld.sourceforge.net/wik ... ipmentList
and help add to the equipment list. Everyone is welcome to input your ideas and create a nice, exhaustive equipment list. Please read the page's short guidelines before posting. Thanks for your help! :D

-- Kyokai
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Cool. I'll add to the equipment list later; I added in all the raw materials I could think of off the top of my head.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I just wanted to run this by you folks before putting it up on the wiki, because it has an effect on gameplay that hasn't been discussed before (to my knowledge).

I was chatting with a gamer friend of mine, who's currently immersed in WoW, and the subject of mounts came up. In WoW, when a character reaches a moderately high level (40), they can get themselves a mount to ride on, which lets them get from place to place significantly quicker (while still not replacing the "big" modes of transport, since it would still take a fairly long time to ride cross-continent). He suggested that I look toward intriducing a similar system in TMW, because faster movement speed as a reward for sticking with the game=happy gamers.

Now, I didn't think that actually including mounts would be a great idea, because not only is it awkward (in WoW, your mount is invisible until you decide to ride it, at which point, *poof*, it's there and you're on it), but it would mean just that much more work, for me and for the devs. So I thought about it, and came up with this:

- Amulet of Bengermann : (??) Amulet : A small charm bearing the symbol of an ancient sorcerer.
*** Running skill > 40
-*- Walking/dashing speed 150% of normal
-*- Walking/dashing speed 200% of normal (Running skill > 70)
### n/a (must be found)

Now, here's my thoughts in terms of visuals. When getting the 50% bonus to speed, the character uses the dash animation for both walking and dashing. A character getting the 100% bonus to speed moves (again, both walking and running) in the way Magus from CT runs (slightly hovering, no real movement, just skimming along). It's no real extra work for me; the skimming animation would just be two frames played slowly to give the impression of floating. It would, however, mean a bit more to be done when spriting flowing equipment (capes, baggy clothes, etc) and long hair. I think it's worth it, though.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

That could work... I think we may want something more concrete to get around fast though... Maybe a taxi service or an animal you can tame... I don't know really...
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I don't think riding on animals would really be feasable at this point, just given all the extra work it would be, for something that just mimics another game. I'm also not proposing this as a replacement for the other systems of getting from place to place really really quick (like the cannon travel in SoM or the Deeprun Tram in WoW), just as a way to get higher movement speed in general. We definately need some sort of concrete service to move between heavily spaced parts of the map rather quickly. An airship transport service, perhaps, or something of the like. Another small thing I'd like to pull from WoW on that scale, actually; although such transport moves very quickly, it's not a warp. The transport is done in real-time, which is rather more realistic, I think you'll agree.
Mra
Peon
Peon

Post by Mra »

I totally agree with talaroc and also wouldnt implement mounts, that would be a) work and b) a simple copy of WoW/etc...

Anyways, just got another Idea when thinking about this one old Zelda SNES game...there was one item (mirror or something) you could change the complete world with (a parrallel world = same buildungs, etc, but different tileset, monsters, quests, etc) ... it was important for the story in the game, but it would be also a nice feature for tmw (anyways, i guess it doesn't fit in the story or the world ;)
visit my blog (in german)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Double the maps - Double the work..
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

By the way, Talaroc, can you go ahead and post the walking animations for forward motion so that other artists can get started with basic equipment? Make a page for it on the Wiki.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Ask Bjørn. We had me send him my frames so he could make the final corrections.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I've layed out the frames with my modifications on a 32x64 grid and added a standing frame (which Talaroc should still improve a bit, because I copy/pasted it together from parts):

This can be used as a base for trying out clothes/equipment.

Edit: I've updated http://themanaworld.sourceforge.net/wik ... evelopment
Last edited by Bjørn on 02 Mar 2005, 12:18, edited 2 times in total.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

looks really nice
i like the shadows
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Many thanks Bjørn, I'll get to work on the standing image ASAP (although there's not really all that much to do on it).
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Ok, final version of the standing image is done.

I've updated the wiki.
imorgado
Novice
Novice

Mounts

Post by imorgado »

I think that we should have mounts, as horses, WarDogs, Wolves, and others.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Then please explain the benefits of such, over the proposed system.

Bear in mind that even a single style of mount requires at least 24 different sprite frames (in some cases 48) for every single piece of visibly wearable equipment in the game, as well as additional sprite frames for the characters and, of course, the mounts themselves. That's a lot of extra work for questionable benefit. At the same time, as I can't think of any other feasable system of handling it, it would be nothing more than a rip of WoW; whether or not players recognized it as such, I would know, and while working with a good basic idea from somewhere else is fine, I refuse to plagarize outright.