Mushroms Forest Cave

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Dabe, I'm sorry, it supposed to be a wall, ignore the brown section is just a base, just focus in the green part :)
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Len has clearly clued into this before, but a guy I know named Josiah Tobin made this tutorial on making cliff tiles:

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... #clifftile

If you're working on a cave wall, this could be very useful for figuring out how to do texturing. As has been mentioned, you'll want to have more vertical striations that horizontal, but it should still be very helpful. (Said vertical striations would come from picking a different basic shape you lay down for the lit/unlit regions.)
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Jetryl wrote:Len has clearly clued into this before, but a guy I know named Josiah Tobin made this tutorial on making cliff tiles:

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... #clifftile

If you're working on a cave wall, this could be very useful for figuring out how to do texturing. As has been mentioned, you'll want to have more vertical striations that horizontal, but it should still be very helpful. (Said vertical striations would come from picking a different basic shape you lay down for the lit/unlit regions.)
It might also be helpful to just create a rock texture then mess with the colors till you find one you like. Then create the basic shapes of the rocks making up the wall and refine

Example:

(I was working on a rock for the forest tileset)

(SD3 Screenshot)
I think a cave like this would be perfect

(Screenshot from Trickster Online)

We can also create simple mushrooms, like the multi-colored spots in the screenshots (as if the shrooms had just started to sprout)

Also you can create cluster tiles, in which you would have multiple mushrooms grouped together rather than just individuals evenly spaced apart.
Pixel Battalion
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I love in that SD3 screenshot, the way the moss crawls from the wall to the floor. ..and having clustered tiles is a great idea.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I stayed up all night making this bloody shroom in the style of those from trickster... but I'm not as skilled as they are :?
Last edited by Len on 14 Feb 2008, 17:29, edited 2 times in total.
Pixel Battalion
Merlin
Developer
Developer

that mushroom rocks.

Post by Merlin »

Thats one good looking mushroom. That looks awesome.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Actually it's very nice Len, the only thing is it's a bit too squared, try to make it moure round on the top.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Len wrote:I stayed up all night making this bloody shroom in the style of those from trickster... but I'm not as skilled as they are :?
Looks plenty good to me. :)
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

sorry I've been quite sick, but I did some mushroom variations as Dabe's recommendations

Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

AxlTrozz wrote:sorry I've been quite sick..
:( hope you feel better soon.

Good job shrinking that mushroom. Len made a good point about the mushrooms the other day; we should try to make some tiles that are clusters of mushrooms. Most of these clusters would be made up of the smallest mushrooms, but each tile could contain more than a single variety. Just another possible remedy to reduce blockiness.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

dabe wrote:
AxlTrozz wrote:sorry I've been quite sick..
:( hope you feel better soon.

Good job shrinking that mushroom. Len made a good point about the mushrooms the other day; we should try to make some tiles that are clusters of mushrooms. Most of these clusters would be made up of the smallest mushrooms, but each tile could contain more than a single variety. Just another possible remedy to reduce blockiness.
Yes, get better soon we need you to help beautify the Mana world.
Pixel Battalion
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Re: Mushroms Forest Cave

Post by AxlTrozz »

Dabe, Len thank you for your words, I feel better now :)

P.S. by the way, what a nice new look in the forum (Platyna don't kill me because I'm out of the topic ;) )
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re:

Post by Rotonen »

Len wrote:I stayed up all night making this...
Glad to see our work morale is improving... :twisted:
AxlTrozz wrote:I've been quite sick..
You have my symphaties too. (Rather poorly expressed.)
This message used to be meaningful.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Re: Re:

Post by AxlTrozz »

Rotonen wrote:
AxlTrozz wrote:I've been quite sick..
You have my symphaties too. (Rather poorly expressed.)

Thank you Rotonen
Len
Knight
Knight

Re: Mushroms Forest Cave

Post by Len »

Lol, added a new wall proposal... (eventually we might have to pick something and go with it)
Last edited by Len on 20 Feb 2008, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
Pixel Battalion