temple development by Axl

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Re: temple development by Axl

Post by 5t3v3 »

Hi, sorry for leaving you hanging there for a while, but I've been busy with other things. Also, the focus of expanding the world map seems to be on the woodlands, so there seems no rush in developing this temple. I 've encountered some additional problems. It could be that in some of the problems I'm just combining the tiles in a different way that they are suppose to, if that's the case, just let me now. Eitherway, it aren't really hard problems.

1. The new edges for the building should be positioned a little bit higher.
2. This isn't really a problem, but just a suggestion. For inside use, the arches on the top of the wall are perfect, but for outside use, maybe it would be better to have one where the upper part of the tiles is transparent, in other words, just the arches without the background wall behind it.
3. The walls with the plate wit the image on it should be positioned slightly lower, the bricks don't seem to fit 100% with the straight walls either. This can be avoided by always putting pillars around it, but that leaves little options for mapping.
4. Around the arches, the lines in the dark brown walls don't line up.
5. I'm having some problems with mapping a corner for inside the building. I'm not sure which tiles are supposed to go where.

In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Thank you for your time in the temple, I'll try to take care of this issues wed and thursday this week
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I still say that the inside walls could also use a slight gradient (not nearly as intense as the outside walls of course). Also, the floors could use a very light touch of blue to make them stand out from the walls a little more.
Pixel Battalion
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I'm just worked the #2 the inside version of the wall top, I'll try to do more time the next couple of days :)

Last edited by AxlTrozz on 15 Aug 2010, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

actually I'm working on recoloring the temple and others like diagonal walls, floors and others.
I'm trying to apply some contrasting colors (red for floors and blue for walls) to create some contrast but I'm still on testing stage
Last edited by AxlTrozz on 15 Aug 2010, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

AxlTrozz wrote:actually I'm working on recoloring the temple and others like diagonal walls, floors and others.
I'm trying to apply some contrasting colors (red for floors and blue for walls) to create some contrast but I'm still on testing stage
The bottom one is better (I don't think we use vanishing point perspective in this game)
Pixel Battalion
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Len wrote:The bottom one is better (I don't think we use vanishing point perspective in this game)
Regardless, the top one is clearer and better defined. Your eyes do not have to strain as hard to see what is going on. :)
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I still say that the inside walls could also use a slight gradient (not nearly as intense as the outside walls of course). Also, the floors could use a very light touch of blue to make them stand out from the walls a little more.
Also when I said this I didn’t mean they had to be different colors just the hue could be slightly more bluish

About using different colors within the same object remember that light has a tendency to be warm while the shadows have more of a cooler version of the same color (or similar color). So the highlights are going to have more of a warm hue, also try and keep the transitions from being abrupt we don’t want to go from bright orange to bright purple in one pixel

Not sure if I'm making any sense or not

but you where more successful with this tile

Also thanks to that red floor i was able to add another lava concept
Last edited by Len on 04 Apr 2008, 07:56, edited 2 times in total.
Pixel Battalion
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

I agree with Len. Also I think there may be a bit more contrast in the walls, especially towards the darker colors. Darker browns, maybe almost close to black, just to let it jump out a bit more.

I think it looks great though!
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Well, as I estated is a testing stage, I'm just trying to get something still.

* There is no perspective on the image, the far wall is exactly the same size of the front wall, I'm just adding more variation (for labyrint mostly)
* If you zoom the image you can see the blue touches, but can you see the blue at 100% mean like in the game ?
* I'm changing the color of the floor because it looks too brownish, and I want to find a better contrast, I think I need to try several different colors before I find the one I need
* Changing colors from one pixel to another is common in a lot of games, orange stains in rocks, green spots in walls, red traces in the floor, I spend some time yesterday in a lot of games trying to see what they do, and looks like is a common technique

The whole Idea with this change is a better definition, as Pauan said It looks better talking about definition.

I still want to add some elements to the wall, also maybe change a bit the blue and change the floor again

Len: I'm glad you reuse the two lava concepts I created :)
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

AxlTrozz wrote: * If you zoom the image you can see the blue touches, but can you see the blue at 100% mean like in the game Yes
* I'm changing the color of the floor because it looks too brownish, and I want to find a better contrast, I think I need to try several different colors before I find the one I need I agree
* Changing colors from one pixel to another is common in a lot of games, orange stains in rocks, green spots in walls, red traces in the floor, I spend some time yesterday in a lot of games trying to see what they do, and looks like is a common technique I think you misunderstood me, I think its too abrupt
Pixel Battalion
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

*Bump*
Just wondering what happened to this? We haven't heard anything for a month, is it still under development?
~Feline Monstrosity
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

feline monstrosity wrote:*Bump*
Just wondering what happened to this? We haven't heard anything for a month, is it still under development?
unfurtunately the progress depends on my time, and lately I've been so busy that I only had time to do small contributions, even I'm trying to get a pixelart aprentice interested in work with me and speed a bit the process but no luck yet...

Anyways may be in the near future I'll be able to use more time to finish the temple...
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

It was about time to finish Korcha's snake head, I added the body and used a different color, I think stand out too much, but I rather change the walls instead of the snakes because I like the color :D

Last edited by AxlTrozz on 15 Aug 2010, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Shaggy
Novice
Novice

Re:

Post by Shaggy »

AxlTrozz wrote:Image
Good work AxlTrozz. However, I can't help noticing the shadows of the pillars are at different angles.

EDIT: Does TMW have a policy on shadow angles? (I know that it should be in the upper right quadrant to match the highlight, but are there any more specific guidelines)
Enjoyed The Mana World? Then check out Aethyra (http://www.aethyra.com).