[FND]forest tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Pauan
Novice
Novice

Re: forest tileset

Post by Pauan »

Len wrote:Image
It’s a bunch of cup holders just like the one on top of the bush >< … The Mana World needs cup holders, doesn’t it? :twisted:
(But yes I’ll fix it)
Oh yes. Monsters deserve convenience and luxury too. ;)

Also, on the left side check out the upper-left corner. There's a kink where both the grass and brown dirt don't line up right. *Too lazy to get another image* :)

P.S. Right now the bush really doesn't fit into this environment. Too grainy. It might work extremely well in a more dry and arid (read: desert) area though.

EDIT: Bah you might have already fixed that left-side kink thing.
Last edited by Pauan on 26 Feb 2008, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Saphy wrote:Do you have the tile? I believe we can work together to change the direction. It shouldn't be too difficult. However, I have no experience with making complex object tileable. Is that a easy way to do so in GIMP? Something like image warp/displace?
Filters -> Map -> Tile... :)
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Is this any nicer :?:
Pixel Battalion
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

MUCH MUCH better. You still have a lot of work to do, of course, including variation tiles, but so far it looks really great. :)

P.S. Can we also have some sort of natural (non-man-made) bridge between the cliffs? I know it'll be hard to make it look natural and all, but if you can pull it off it'd be really fantastic. Also an alternative wooden bridge (yes man-made) as well. Also, what about ramps? ;)

P.S. Could you try smoothing out the base of the cliffs a little? I mean yeah they need to stand out, but right now it feels like they were just slapped on there. If you could have some grass creeping up the side a tiny bit I think it'd help. This can also be done on a separate tile/layer as well.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Pauan wrote:Can we also have some sort of natural (non-man-made) bridge between the cliffs?
good thinking, Pauan. The trunk of a fallen tree would seem to be a good possible choice.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

dabe wrote:
Pauan wrote:Can we also have some sort of natural (non-man-made) bridge between the cliffs?
good thinking, Pauan. The trunk of a fallen tree would seem to be a good possible choice.
Perhaps. Also a natural arch-way composed of the cliff-rock would be great. :)
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Pauan wrote:
dabe wrote:
Perhaps. Also a natural arch-way composed of the cliff-rock would be great. :)

Something like these?

Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Yes! Very nice. Almost exactly as I imagined it. Great job Saphy. :)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Pauan wrote:...Can we also have...
You don't trust our pixellation department enough? Instead of "can we" you should rather ponder about "should we" (as in do we need this and that; in this case we did).
This message used to be meaningful.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Rotonen wrote:
Pauan wrote:...Can we also have...
You don't trust our pixellation department enough? Instead of "can we" you should rather ponder about "should we" (as in do we need this and that; in this case we did).
Nono, not at all. I've seen the great work our team can do and I trust them. It's just my mother always taught me to be polite, so I used a more polite term, rather than saying, "I want this on my desk tonight!" ;)
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

I tried to create some bush tiles:

Somehow, it seems repetitive. What have I done wrong?
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Saphy wrote:I tried to create some bush tiles:

Somehow, it seems repetitive. What have I done wrong?
Absolutely nothing. Whenever you go above a certain complexity it becomes impossible to tile a tile well. In this case the solution is to have 2-4 tiles, similar but each one slightly different. Even SD3 had to use this technique all the time because tiling something like that with only one tile becomes impossible.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

I’ve made some vines (although they look lame compared to what Shapy has done)
I’m also planning on making little piles of rocks that came loose from the cliff face just like the ones found in this SD3 screenshot

Pixel Battalion
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Excellent. Looking much nicer. :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Hmmm, with that vines on the cliffs and the new trees by Saphy it looks less like woodland but reminds me more of a jungle. What do you think about developing the tileset further in this direction?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.