[FND] Block Walls (City walls, Prison, Arena)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

yosuhara wrote:I'm gonna sue you Iru! My jaw just fell off :D

//still it looks too shiny and brand new for my taste :P
I'm really sorry about your jaw ":)

anyway, you are right. It still looks too new, and too shiny. Now I see that I will need to break those tiles between two or more tilesets.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

The problem with your tileset is that it is all the same color with very little contrast

(they used orange with purple shadows(complementary colors!) and the floor tiles are blueish which is a cool color which makes the floor fallback bringing the orange walls which are a hot color froward. they also used a gradient from dark to light on the walls)

Think about hot and cool colors, think about complementary colors, try and add some more stone like textures.

see the difference when we apply this to a tileset
Last edited by Len on 06 Jan 2008, 02:47, edited 2 times in total.
Pixel Battalion
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

I hate to split hairs, the tileset is already quite amazing. Nevertheless

1. I think you should be able to make wider gates, the current arch can only be 2 or 3 tiles wide, that's a bit small if you're making a big castle with these tiles.

2. A connection piece that connects a straight wall with a round tower would be helpful. (see image) I realise that the problem can be easily avoided by building differently, nevertheless, I think a connection there could give the tileset a lot more potential.

Also, what is the wooden thing that goes on the wall? It's a bit hard to make out.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

It could also use some paths to go north and south from the top of the round towers. You already have tiles for east and west. Some roof tiles going in the other directions would be good.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: concrete walls (outdoor arena tileset)

Post by i »

Hot and cold colours... yeah I think I got the point.

Since I don't have floors and walls separated in layers (because of data loss some time ago) it was a bit hardcore :P I warmed a bit walls. Downstairs are still unfinished - it's just outline from inkscape applied to tileset (yes I use Inkscape in pixelart too - to have proper perspective on various shapes).

Just take a look:
(update - fixed some minor bugs)
jaxad0127 wrote:It could also use some paths to go north and south from the top of the round towers. You already have tiles for east and west. Some roof tiles going in the other directions would be good.
Path to north and south can be done via normal corner tile - because round tower on middle it tilable with normal wall

Edit.
Quick mockup. I find some missing tiles.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Remarkable work as always Iru :) I like new colours

However, i find that circular stairway differs too much from otherwise "blocky" outfit of rest of the tileset. Or maybe it's just me...
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

The new colors work much better.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

yosuhara wrote:Remarkable work as always Iru :) I like new colours

However, i find that circular stairway differs too much from otherwise "blocky" outfit of rest of the tileset. Or maybe it's just me...
"Downstairs are still unfinished - it's just outline from inkscape applied to tileset"

Like I said it's still waiting for proper pixelation. It's an output from Inkscape. Maybe I should make tutorial "How to make tiles in proper perspective using Inkscape" :P
Pajarico wrote:The new colors work much better.
Yep, I also noticed that. Walls are a bit warmer now. However it's still shadowless and too clean.

So tell me what do you think about new oblique wall parts? I have strange feeling that something is wrong with them. Maybe you could provide me hints or solution?
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

I think the right side should have about the same color that you put in the rounded corner, on the bricks that are about the same angle. Checking with gimp, the oblique wall is lighter than the mentioned bricks on the right rounded wall. Could be that, but I don't see anything seriously wrong with it, could you elaborate?
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I've always thought this tileset might look neat with blocks instead of bricks.. that is, if the bricks were a bit larger. Still, it is a good tileset and the update only made it nicer. :)
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

dabe wrote:I've always thought this tileset might look neat with blocks instead of bricks.. that is, if the bricks were a bit larger. Still, it is a good tileset and the update only made it nicer. :)
Actually they were bigger, but I had to reduce brick size because of lack of vertical tilability.

Bricks in 0.0.9:

However I made an attempt to include large blocks and rocks into current tileset, but it doesn't look good... yet.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

My only concern: how is our playerset going to look walking down those round stairs?
This message used to be meaningful.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Rotonen wrote:My only concern: how is our playerset going to look walking down those round stairs?
It's not going to look. It could works as normal doors - "teleport tile".
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

It needs to be a bit larger:
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

EJlol wrote:It needs to be a bit larger:
yeah, I noticed that too... now it is 3 x 2 tile... maybe something larger? 4x3 plus taller steps?
But I'm not sure about making it bigger. I'll do a fast redo (since it is in vector curves, there is no problem with that).

--edit--

something like that? 4x3 tiles and taller steps.