Gas Mask

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Harufym
Peon
Peon

Gas Mask

Post by Harufym »

This is my gas mask, my first helmet-style item. It doesn't quite fit into the game's atmosphere, but it was fun to make. Here's the overlay and an example of what it would look like on a character:

Sertraline
Novice
Novice

Re: Gas Mask

Post by Sertraline »

Well, I'm sure they fit in about as well as denim jeans and protective goggles do. :D

The size and concept is very good. Maybe throw in some more shading/dithering and it should look beautiful. :)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Maybe the back part should be a bit more rounder?
Harufym
Peon
Peon

Post by Harufym »

Alright, a few amendments to the mask have been made. First, color has been added to the eye pieces, as well as the eyes of the avatars. This was done because some hairstyles obstruct the eyes. Second, the mask was made taller, and straps were added to the back and sides. I didn't get to adding more colors to the other areas of the mask, so if anyone wants to take a shot at it, go right ahead. Now, without further adieu:

Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Instead of adding eyes to the helm, how about using 50% opacity on the eye pieces instead?
Last edited by Saphy on 18 Mar 2008, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

Because that would make too much sense. ;)
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Harufym
Peon
Peon

Post by Harufym »

Saphy wrote:Instead of adding eyes to the helm, how about using 50% opacity on the eye pieces instead?
As previously stated, a few hairstyles place hair over the eyes, and it looks a bit silly to have hair stuffed into the eye pieces. There were originally two versions, one with transparent eye pieces with the same coloring as the opaque version, and the current one. I thought the current one looked best, so the other version was trashed. If you wish to present a better version, though, go right ahead.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

You actually make a good point. That's not something I had considered.

One thing I would like to point out though -- if the dev's decide to make eyes changeable (e.g., color, size, position, etc.), how would that be resolved?
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

I still don't think helms should have eyes on them. If it look weird, the user can always change the hair style.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I prefer not that have to change my hairstyle to fit a hat. I found it rather annoying that I have had to. Sure now with the current world size it isn't that far of a trip to the barber but what happens when the world gets bigger and the trip becomes a hassle?
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Helm-compatible hair graphics which are automatically used when wearing a headgear which require them are anotherone of these todo list items noone gets around doing.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Harufym
Peon
Peon

Post by Harufym »

leeor_net wrote:One thing I would like to point out though -- if the dev's decide to make eyes changeable (e.g., color, size, position, etc.), how would that be resolved?
Until the helmet-compatible hairstyle graphics that Crush mentioned are complete, it may not matter, though you bring up an excellent point. I'm not aware of any plans for that idea to be implemented, but when the previously mentioned graphics are complete, I might get around to throwing together the mask with the transparent eye pieces again, which should accommodate to at least the eye color. Due to the limited real estate on the avatar's face, there may not be too much sizing and positioning that can be done, at least for the time being.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I somewhat like the side decorations. Now if only someone would do something about the mask itself.

And yeah, there's also a major issue about it: do we want modern tech into the game at all?

(And yes, you can think it's leather, steel and glass, but without a modern an functioning filtration system, I'd go for a different design. Not ruling out a magical filtration system, just urging to go after a more unique design. The decoration there is a nice start towards that direction.)
This message used to be meaningful.
Harufym
Peon
Peon

Post by Harufym »

I agree that it doesn't quite fit into the era that the game is set in, but the issue here is a matter of space. The original design included a contraption worn on the back, sort of like a scuba suit, but instead acting as a giant, cumbersome filtration system. The only solution that I can think of at the moment is to make it into a full suit, which would take quite a while to come up with, unless the filtration system can somehow still be worn on the back without clipping other worn clothing or equipment. I'm completely open to more feedback, especially if it can help make this little project that much better.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'd say rework the front of the mask into something that is in unison with the back. There are not all that many pixels there to work with: something resembling a bulldog face might work instead of cleanly cut shapes that reach out.
This message used to be meaningful.