[FND] Block Walls (City walls, Prison, Arena)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Re: concrete walls (outdoor arena tileset)

Post by 5t3v3 »

i wrote:Image
Don't forget the invisible wall problem again. Right now, the only way to block a path is by blocking a whole tile. So you can't put an invisible wall in between two adjacent "walkable" tiles. I think the best sollution is to make the whole circle unwalkable, except for the first step which would be a portal.

Oh, and perhaps a fence around the circle, would be nice to. Just a suggestion :D
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

5t3v3 wrote:
i wrote:Image
Don't forget the invisible wall problem again. Right now, the only way to block a path is by blocking a whole tile. So you can't put an invisible wall in between two adjacent "walkable" tiles. I think the best sollution is to make the whole circle unwalkable, except for the first step which would be a portal.

Oh, and perhaps a fence around the circle, would be nice to. Just a suggestion :D
I thought about making walkable only first step. However, I'm not mapper. I just draw tiles.

--edit--

I realized that mine bricks look odd, and I draw something larger... and I said WOW! It looks far better than I expected.

--edit--
new wall mockup

--edit--
complete mini-tileset for making new walls - could someone test it?
Attachments
Complete basic block wall tiles
Complete basic block wall tiles
block-brick3.png (39.42 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
Wall mockup.
Wall mockup.
block-brick2.png (19.57 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
New block wall tile
New block wall tile
block-brick.png (7.91 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I am not sure about these walls. They look so... RPGMakerish.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:I am not sure about these walls. They look so... RPGMakerish.
So what's wrong with that they look RPGMakerish? I draw it from scratch. And I think they look far better that old small bricks. These blocks looks massive. It's good for arena or prison. I'm going to forget about old bricks - they will be used maybe in town.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The problem with the RPGMaker look is that it looks ripped and not original.

Maybe you should remove the shadow at the ground. All the other tilesets only use this for indoor areas.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:The problem with the RPGMaker look is that it looks ripped and not original.

Maybe you should remove the shadow at the ground. All the other tilesets only use this for indoor areas.
Crush don't get me wrong, but this gradient on bottom makes this wall a bit "dirtier". All the time everyone was talking about that my wall was too clean. It's good technique so why should I not use it here?

So what's the problem? It's not ripped, not based on anything. It just look similar. I thought that TMW could look similar to other well drawn RPGs. Not only RPGmakers tiles uses gradient shadows at the ground.

---edit---
preview:

tileset (ver. 0.0.1):
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I believe its a vast improvement
Not only RPGmakers tiles uses gradient shadows at the ground.

of course not its a professional technique and we should make good use of it
Pixel Battalion
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Len wrote:I believe its a vast improvement
So do I :)

It still got some minor glitches. Doors bevel is slightly out of style now. So I'm going to change that.

This tileset it technically different that concrete wall one. Its more simpler, easier to map and more intuitive. I think that's the right way we should go on.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'm starting to like the doors too. Just try to make them a bit more integrated into the wall instead of seeming like glue-on props.
This message used to be meaningful.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Rotonen wrote:I'm starting to like the doors too. Just try to make them a bit more integrated into the wall instead of seeming like glue-on props.
Integration started...

still shadowless, detail less, just conception.

--edit--
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Crush wrote:The problem with the RPGMaker look is that it looks ripped and not original.
Ah, but WHY does "the RPGMaker look" tend to look ripped?

There is of course no definitive answer, but I suspect it has nearly everything to do with the fact that most RPGMaker games tend to have inconsistent art components. The "ripped look" comes not from the style of map art, but the fact that the map art doesn't match the sprites walking on it, and/or the props placed on it. It also comes from association; from the fact that lots of RPGMaker games happen to have ripped content in them, so those people familiar with playing RPGMaker games assume when seeing other RPGMaker games that content in them is going to be ripped. But when you look at a pure RPGMaker game; with nothing but official content, it doesn't have the cheap mismatch that makes it look ripped. The same can be true of TMW.

Also - the old tileset had as much mismatch with the sprites as the new one, so the problem of looking ripped is already quite present in the game. This really doesn't worsen anything, and moving towards "better art across the board" is the best solution to what ails this game.
i wrote:
Len wrote:I believe its a vast improvement
So do I :)
I also think it looks a hell of a lot better. :D

For some advice: look at that SOM3 screenshot. There are two things worth imitating from that:
1] On all the "upper edges facing towards the viewer" of things like the crenelations, railings, or even steps, they don't use a dark line for the edge - in fact they basically indicate it with a slight bright line, but mostly just a brightness difference between the upper surface, and the forward surface.
2] That's the other thing - make the upper surface a different brightness than the surface facing in the forward (towards the bottom of the screen) direction. It doesn't have to be much, but if it were a bit more than what you've got on yours right now, I think it'd really help.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

I made upper surface a bit brighter and add bright bevel in front of top brick. I'm considering adding brighter thin bevel on left side of every top surface. In fact it would eliminate dark outline.

--edit--

I got some new conceptions to discuss.

1. Rounded corners - should they be:
- low rounded: easier to map
- high rounded: better outlook, harder to map

2. Tower tiles:
- perfect circle shape in correct perspective (better outlook, but some additional tiles used only for tower), or
- build using high rounded corners (a bit strange)

So what do you think?

--edit--
I think that high rounded corners are very useful. They can be used for making guard posts like in Modanung's Tulimshar walls:
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I love the big stones and tall merlons. Good work.

One thing though, I think the floor stands out too much in relation to the dark bottom of the wall. Maybe the floor should be darker. Oh and also it looks strange to me how the stone under the door and window aren't dark as the surrounding stones.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

i wrote:I made upper surface a bit brighter and add bright bevel in front of top brick. I'm considering adding brighter thin bevel on left side of every top surface. In fact it would eliminate dark outline.

--edit--

I got some new conceptions to discuss.

1. Rounded corners - should they be:
- low rounded: easier to map
- high rounded: better outlook, harder to map
Instead of just making the very button brick tile darker, how about make the 2rd, 3rd, and 4th tile graduately darker as well. As of now, it looks as if the bottom was burnt, instead of radiosity.

The arch on top of the door looks funny. I believe the bottom part of the arch at the top should be thinner.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Just a note: it seems as the merlons are just placed over the bricks, and they seem quite unstable, as they could sleep away. Maybe inglobating them into abigger brick would give a stronger feeling.