Creation of a monster database

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Creation of a monster database

Post by Crush »

The monster database, basic monster AI and the core gameplay mechanics of TMW are now implemented on TMWServ. This means that the time has come to form a task force and start with making up stats for all monsters and create a monsters.xml for the new server.

Note that this database isn't intended to be set in stone forever. Creating a perfectly balanced monster database is impossible in the current stage of development because player characters don't possess any magical abilities or special attacks yet, the item database is also just a proof of concept and yadda, yadda, yadda... But we still need a provisorical monster database now so we can start a public beta test. We can refine and balance the database during this test, but we need something to start with.

The currently used example database can be found on subversion or in the windows build I published in the last development report. The documentation can be found on the wiki.
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Monster_Database

Also note the following articles for better understanding the underlying game mechanics:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Combat_system
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... nd_dodging
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... alculation
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Attributes
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Skill_system

The monster database currently on SVN includes all the monsters which are already in the eAthena game but it only includes name, graphics, sounds and item drops for most monsters. Only four example monsters already have attributes, behavior and experience reward. But these stats are optimized for demonstrating and testing different monster characteristics and not for real gameplay. So they should be replaced, too.

Note that monsters which use dynamic recoloring don't have to use the same colors on TMWServ. There is no problem with having pink, blue and brown slimes, for example. Just define a different color ramp in the sprite tag. A mantis ticket for converting more monsters to dynamic recoloring so that you can create more different version of the same monster is already opened.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
zick
Novice
Novice

Re: Creation of a monster database

Post by zick »

It looks like exp is outside of the attributes tag ... If you were to use the mutation attribute to create a "super" version of a monster shouldn't you be awarded with more exp? Just a thought.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The mutation attribute works both ways: It can lower or increase any attribute of the mutation independently. This means a high mutation factor can result in monsters which are significantly stronger or significantly weaker than the average. But it can also result in monsters with very weird attributes.

Would a mutation with very good attack-min, attack-delta an hit but very bad hp, evade, defence and speed be stronger or weaker than an average monster? It depends. When it has a low range and isn't aggressive it would be a free kill. But when it is a ranged attacker and aggressive it would be deadly. All the synergetic effects between different attributes, behavior and attacks are very difficult to judge automatically.

So I just said to myself "screw this, just make every mutation give the same experience".

By the way: The whole mutation thing is a quite experimental feature. Something like that hasn't been used in any RPG I know. So I would suggest to use it carefully. Maybe it should only be used for one or two monster types to check how the players react on it during a public alpha test. Then we can decide if we use it widely, if we keep it as a gimick for a few monster types or if we drop it altogether.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

Keeping it does give you variety, not really knowing what you're up against. It adds a little spice and may prevent botting since not every maggot has the same HP.
I think I may have suggested something like this a couple of years ago (remember level 99 maggots! - to which I was booed off the stage) and I got the idea from Final Fantasy Tactics. Anyway I think its a good feature.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

So isn't there anyone who feels like doing this?
  • NOT a game master

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Crush it was discussed today at the HMC meeting. Dave, Sugar and I are going to work on it. I know more about this as of next Saturday when I plan on holding a HMC dev group meeting. Those 2 are already working on it. I'll be adding stuff in from time to time as I get more of this mapping done.

ANYONE who would be willing to contribute to this project should meet at 20:00 Server time next Saturday at Dimonds Cove.
I believe a couple other people are going to help in this also. I'd tackle it myself but I have my plate full trying to get these maps done with the forest and working on the various other projects I got going on.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

That's really great news, Merlin. I will try to make it to your meeting next saturday. I suppose you mean 20:00 greenwich mean time?
  • NOT a game master

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Yes I believe thats the time the TMW server is set to. You might be able to answer some questions about this that I'm sure people will have.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

I have to admit that I'm not totally clear on what all of the attributes do and exactly how they work, even with the wiki article. For instance:
attack-min
Minimal damage of attacks with a damage factor ot "1"
What is the "factor of '1'" and what exactly does it mean?

or this:
hit
Hit accuracy of physical attacks
Is this in percent? Or is it like the above quoted line?

Perhaps I'm just not getting it because I'm so tired (culinary school is rough, especially the FCI in NYC). Or perhaps you guys understand it because you're more intimate with the code... or perhaps even I've been so lost in food and culinary technique that I can't think in computer science and mathmatical terms anymore... :?

Any insights (besides 'go look at the code') would be appreciated... :) Please remember that I'm not running on full brain-power right now as per above... ;)
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

leeor_net wrote:I have to admit that I'm not totally clear on what all of the attributes do and exactly how they work, even with the wiki article. For instance:
attack-min
Minimal damage of attacks with a damage factor ot "1"
What is the "factor of '1'" and what exactly does it mean?
Monsters can have multiple attack methods. The attack methods can have different damage factors. When a monster has 5 attack-min and 5 attack-delta and it uses an attack with a damage factor of 10 it does between 50 and 100 damage.
hit
Hit accuracy of physical attacks
Is this in percent? Or is it like the above quoted line?
Each being has a "hit accuracy" rating and a "evade accuracy" rating. When a being is hit by a physical attack, the attacker rolls a random number between 0 and its hit accuracy and the defender rolls a random number between 0 and its evade accuracy. When the defender's number is higher it dodges the attack and isn't harmed.

The result is a Gaussian distribution of hit probability. When both values are quite close to each other, the changes are quite noticeable; but no matter how different the values are, there is always a small chance to miss or hit.
  • NOT a game master