Problem with Tiled under Ubuntu 8.04

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Problem with Tiled under Ubuntu 8.04

Post by Merlin »

I recently "upgraded" my ubuntu install and after re-installing sun java runtime 5 and attempting to run tiled again I get the folowing error:
java: xcb_xlib.c:82: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

I don't know whats causing this. Until I figure this out I can't run tiled and I REALLY need to get these maps done.
If anyone has any idea please get back to me ASAP.

I might have to re-install 7.10 if I can't get this to work.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Malade_mental
Peon
Peon

Re: Problem with Tiled under Ubuntu 8.04

Post by Malade_mental »

Maybe you have to reconfigure X, type this in a tty :

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Then, restart the X server, maybe it will change something, but i'm really not sure...
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Type 'which java', look it up (it's probably a symlink) and check where it is linked to (which could well be to another symlink). Make sure you are using Sun's Java and not GCJ or something. You can also check with 'java -version'.

If your default Java is not Sun's, you can probably fix this by running:

sudo update-alternatives --config java
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Bjørn wrote:Type 'which java', look it up (it's probably a symlink) and check where it is linked to (which could well be to another symlink). Make sure you are using Sun's Java and not GCJ or something. You can also check with 'java -version'.
java version "1.5.0_14"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_14-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_14-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

I got Sun's Java alright.

Bjørn wrote: If your default Java is not Sun's, you can probably fix this by running:

sudo update-alternatives --config java
I'll try that. You guess is better educated then mine. I'm lost here.
Tried it. This is all I got.

There is only 1 program which provides java
(/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/bin/java). Nothing to configure.
I'm not sure why this is occurring. I HIGHLY Recommended anyone who maps to stay away from Ubuntu 8.04 just for this reason. If any one is successful in running tiled in 8.04 please get back to me with some help. I'm currently switching my Desktop back to 7.10 after a nasty fight with Fedora 8.

Thank You,
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Doesn't 8.04 use Compiz by default? Java and Compiz have always had problems. See if you can update Java to version 6 (less problems with Compiz).
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

It's no longer an issue. I turn Compiz off because of my old slow computer.
It's running Xubuntu 7.10 now and I haven't been happier. Tiled Runs just fine now.
It put me some time behind but I also Finally was able to compile from SVN.
MerlinX420
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

MerlinX420 wrote:I'm not sure why this is occurring. I HIGHLY Recommended anyone who maps to stay away from Ubuntu 8.04 just for this reason. If any one is successful in running tiled in 8.04 please get back to me with some help. I'm currently switching my Desktop back to 7.10 after a nasty fight with Fedora 8.
Well I am developing Tiled myself under Ubuntu 8.04 (64-bit even), so I can't recommend anybody to downgrade just cause of some Java problems. Like jaxad, I'd try upgrading to Java 6, which is just a matter of installing the sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-jdk (for development) packages.

Edit: Sorry, I rather assumed you were using the latest stable version of Ubuntu (which is what I am really using, so 7.10 and not 8.04). Indeed I would very much recommend anybody to stay away from using a pre-release operating system as your working environment.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Well considering it's still in alpha stage. I tried that. Didn't work same problem
MerlinX420
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

MerlinX420 wrote:Well considering it's still in alpha stage. I tried that. Didn't work same problem
My mistake, I am indeed using 7.10. Post edited... Stupid to assume people are always talking about the latest stable version...