Bob Ross

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Harufym
Peon
Peon

Bob Ross

Post by Harufym »

Alright, a few nights ago, a few of us were throwing around the idea of making some sort of tribute to Bob Ross, and I even joked about making a shrine to him in the form of a cave-style map. Well, due to reasons related to insomnia, I hopped on Google, brought up a picture of Ross, then proceeded to crank out a possible NPC character. I thought it would be fun to have him tucked somewhere in the Woodland area as some sort of easter egg, painting his happy trees. As always, suggestions and feedback are appreciated. Now, without any further adieu, the man of the hour:

Last edited by Harufym on 06 Mar 2008, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
Malade_mental
Peon
Peon

Re: Bob Ross

Post by Malade_mental »

w00t w00t fnky style!
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Sorry, but personally I think this game has enough fluff... (its in desperate need of some more serious substance)

It might just be me
Pixel Battalion
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Harufym wrote:Alright, a few nights ago, a few of us were throwing around the idea of making some sort of tribute to Bob Ross, and I even joked about making a shrine to him in the form of a cave-style map. Well, due to reasons related to insomnia, I hopped on Google, brought up a picture of Ross, then proceeded to crank out a possible NPC character. I thought it would be fun to have him tucked somewhere in the Woodland area as some sort of easter egg, painting his happy trees. As always, suggestions and feedback is appreciated. Now, without any further adieu, the man of the hour:

ROFL!!! I thought you were joking!! As far as that goes I think it would be cool if the NPC Gave some guidelines,pointers, and references on how to create pixel art for the game. Kind of like a in game wikkii.
Regardless of how or if he's used it's a good looking NPC graphic.
Lots of people might not know who he is. Especially the non-Americans.
I have another Idea for you...
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Landon
Novice
Novice

Post by Landon »

better than mine, I like it.
Landon
"Life is like one big screwed up Merry-Go-Round, I get thrown off but I get right back on"
Harufym
Peon
Peon

Post by Harufym »

Len wrote:Sorry, but personally I think this game has enough fluff... (its in desperate need of some more serious substance)

It might just be me
Well, after seeing Kirk and Spock in the game, I sort of have to lean toward your opinion. However, the point of easter eggs is to temporarily remove that "fourth wall" of role-playing to have just a little fun. I didn't want him to be a major character, just a singular NPC that may offer some sort of advice or deliver a humorous line or two. In either case, I appreciate your feedback.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

I would KIND OF agree with Len. There are a lot of "out of character" NPCs in the game as it is, however, I really enjoy seeing references to other characters/events/stories inside of games. For example, World of Warcraft has a quest chain called the Linken quest chain. It follows a part of the story path from Zelda 2, and in the end, you get the Sword of Mastery. I believe there is a time and place for these CRAZY NPCs, but like Len said, we need to get some more in TMW NPCs to make these outside references work.
Sertraline
Novice
Novice

Post by Sertraline »

Well, maybe if they don't want the NPC you could make a Bob Ross male hairstyle. :) It looks like you based it off the default char sprite, right? Or you could make his shirt into an item! :D
Harufym
Peon
Peon

Post by Harufym »

Dr Wahl wrote:I would KIND OF agree with Len. There are a lot of "out of character" NPCs in the game as it is, however, I really enjoy seeing references to other characters/events/stories inside of games. For example, World of Warcraft has a quest chain called the Linken quest chain. It follows a part of the story path from Zelda 2, and in the end, you get the Sword of Mastery. I believe there is a time and place for these CRAZY NPCs, but like Len said, we need to get some more in TMW NPCs to make these outside references work.
As was said, I lean toward Len's opinion on the subject of these singular NPCs. I have no intention of letting these sort of things interfere with my primary work, this was merely a small push on a previous idea that the majority of those involved found funny. In total, it took about 20 to 30 minutes to complete. I understand that there needs to be more serious content, and despite how little that I've brought to the table to date, it's a goal of mine to contribute as much as I can.
Sertraline wrote:Well, maybe if they don't want the NPC you could make a Bob Ross male hairstyle. :) It looks like you based it off the default char sprite, right? Or you could make his shirt into an item! :D
I will definitely consider making the Bob Ross hairstyle, it may come in handy when and if the ethnicity of your character can be selected, in which case it may become a viable unisex hairstyle. In any case, my plate is a bit full as far as clothing goes, so if anyone wants to take a crack at the shirt, go for it, and if possible, make it in multiple colors to add a bit more variety and flavor to the game. I'm also sorry if I sound a bit off-putting at the moment, I haven't slept in almost 23 hours now.
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Haha.. I'm from europe, but I know Bob Ross... however, if I was 5 years younger I would not. The idea of some shrines for specific persons would be fun. Maybe one of Elvis? ... together with Spock and Kirk maybe ;) 'Elvis is not dead!' Personally I like fluff, but it has to be in line with the size of the world... out of character NPC's should be hard to find.
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog