Music

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

dariunas
Novice
Novice

Music

Post by dariunas »

Hey there guys,

I can see you have had a pretty good level of interest in this so far... I am very interested in this project having grown up with many games of this ilk during that golden 16-bit era :D

Strangely, I haven't had the focus to nail my music in that vein stylistically - this would be a good opportunity to develop my skills and try to marry the higher quality sounds available to home composers with the genius MIDI compositions synonymous with the old skool composers (I don't pretend to be that good though)

I can see you're going to want some stylistic cohesion between your music and have someone working on stuff, though if you're still interested, I have a few bits on http://www.myspace.com/infectedmusicdesigns (I know it's a horribly contrived name, I cringe when I type it and probably won't be working under it for much longer) :\

Regards,
Aasif
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Music

Post by Rotonen »

I feel all that could be said has already been said.

Welcome aboard, we've been waiting for someone like you.

(Is the FF-reference in the first part of "Sampler Track" intentional?)
This message used to be meaningful.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Nice :)

I'll start work on something this week - it won't be a long track (initially) as this way, if you're not liking it much, it's easier to change, and I won't feel so bummed at having run off developing unwanted concepts lol

I'm working full time, but am trying to clear more and more time bit by bit so progress will speed up after a couple of weeks. I'll also see about installing IRC this week... (do you guys still use this?)

Thanks again!
Aasif
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Rotonen wrote:
(Is the FF-reference in the first part of "Sampler Track" intentional?)
Um... I don't think so :| not sure if that's a good or bad thing...
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Ok...

Well... I have something I started last night... see what you think... it's a bit ploddy, the mix do do with some attention, the cellos sounds a little bit heavy at the minute and there's almost no percussion (lol, I'm making a good case for myself here)

but given some EQ across a few instruments, tweaks, a little re-arranging and implementing a few more decorative elements, could sound very settled and polished... it's just the skeleton of the initial idea for a town-type theme...

http://www.infectedmusicdesigns.co.uk/W ... 20Life.ogg
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I already like that song. I would immediately add it to Hurnscald when it would loop yet.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

Crush wrote:I already like that song. I would immediately add it to Hurnscald when it would loop yet.
Yeah it does not loop perfect yet, but it does really sound rather nice! (just heard it about 20 times in loop)
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

GonzoDark wrote:(just heard it about 20 times in loop)
you too? XD

I'm big fan of Nobuo Uematsu, maybe one day I become a big fan of dariunas music.
It's true that song doesn't loop perfectly, but it can be improved of course. Seems to be ok for me, it still needs some work, but general conception is very nice. It's hard to not say "good work dariunas!" :>
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I really enjoyed listening to it, just a notice, during the first seconds the background instruments are barely noticeable, I'd make them a little louder.
Rodge
Peon
Peon

Post by Rodge »

Cellos are hot :). Keep going, this is sounding really nice.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Thanks for your kind words everyone! :)

Crush &GonzoDark - this should loop nicely when done. I didn't really make it loopable because it's a little far from done. The decay of the trombones suddenly cuts if you try to loop it lol

i - Thanks again. I'm honoured to be even mentioned in the same sentence as Nobuo Oumatsu. I can safely say, I doubt I'll ever be THAT good :).

Elven Programmer - Good point. I'll be tweaking the balances in the final mixdown, in all honesty my mixing skills are weak, so it might take a little time to get it right once the composition is done.

I'll post another version of City Life once I have done significant work on it. Then depending on feedback, maybe some final tweaks, and hopefully track should be good to roll out at some point next week if all seems well.

Thanks again all :wink:
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

A second version... starts the same, develops into something a little different before setting itself up to loop (this should loop better... but not perfect as I faded out across the last few samples of the file, afraid that the loop would not be smooth, but I think it's disjointed it if anything. :|

Mixing is a little better, but not finished. Looping will be sorted also (I'll not fade out the last fraction of a second next time)

http://www.infectedmusicdesigns.co.uk/W ... ife_V2.ogg

As far as the musical material goes (ignoring production values for now) does this still work well?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

At 1:26 it becomes very dark and sinister. This just doesn't fit into the rest of the song.

But this dark part could maybe be used as a base for the soundtrack of a different area.

Oh, and one little detail: We are "The Mana World", not "World of Mana". "World of Mana" is a registred trademark by Square Enix Co. Ltd.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Hello again,

Yep, I think you're right about the part at 1:26... that was my main worry about it... My initial aim behind a new section was to introduce some variety. I wouldn't say it's overtly introspective, but it does certainly takes on a darker tone...

Ok... I'll remove that entire section, bridge the gap with something and do a final mixdown.
The section from 1:26 - 2:06 will be reserved for a new track.

In the meantime, could someone detail a list of areas for me? So I could perhaps score my tracks according to them?

lol - I did notice what I had done with 'World of Mana', about half an hour after posting today... I realised it was in fact the GBA games... I'll change the names up :wink:
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I get a "file not found"